Crackling Noise from Aero Caps

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone have this issue:

When driving at low speeds, the aero caps on one of my tires crackles as it its under excess tension. I don't hear it when inside the car, but a by-stander can easily hear. Once the car speeds up, the road noise drowns it out. But under 15mphs, sound is very apparent from the outside. It first happened to the front driverside wheel. Took it to a service center an they said they replaced the cap. Now its happening to the back driverside wheel.

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have seen this issue before. Usually it is caused by the cap not sitting perfectly on the wheel due to the locking ring at the center. Remove the cap and make sure the metal locking ring is properly aligned, then reinstall the cap. That should fix it.

skygraff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have seen this issue before. Usually it is caused by the cap not sitting perfectly on the wheel due to the locking ring at the center. Remove the cap and make sure the metal locking ring is properly aligned, then reinstall the cap. That should fix it.
So that would suggest it might not be a good idea to cut the clips in order to install the aeros over the center caps and lug covers. I'm thinking I might try some kind of rare earth magnet set up to hold the aero center tight but allow me to leave the center cap installed for quick switch between city and highway driving.

Thanks!