Cracked roof glass, what to do?

Niki-and-I

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just discovered yesterday a crack in the glass ceiling. It has clearly been made by an impact (I don't remember hearing it, though). I guess this is a call to my insurance and then get a new glass roof? Should I ask to get this done at the Tesla Service or some other body shop? Hearing stories of parts taking forever to arrive...
IMG_1030.JPG

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Insurance claim time, just like any other car damage. You're lucky though, 2" over and it would have been really expensive body repair.

FYI, once you initially talk to the body shop, there's nothing stopping you from contacting Tesla and getting help on how the body shop can order the part more effectively. The body shop shouldn't care either, unless they order exclusively through a 3rd party vendor.

DanSz

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Just discovered yesterday a crack in the glass ceiling. It has clearly been made by an impact (I don't remember hearing it, though). I guess this is a call to my insurance and then get a new glass roof? Should I ask to get this done at the Tesla Service or some other body shop? Hearing stories of parts taking forever to arrive...
Call your insurance company. Call Tesla (I don’t think 3rd-party shops can get any glass for a Tesla, yet). Have them order the glass panel and contact you when it comes in. Drive your car in the meantime. Enjoy it. There is no safety hazard. When your glass finally arrives, schedule a service visit and it should be installed in a car or two (assuming everything goes smoothly).

Do not drop off the car unless you have confirmed the part is in. They’re are so many horror stories about parts being wrong, never ordered, etc. let us know how long it takes.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Call your insurance company. Call Tesla (I don’t think 3rd-party shops can get any glass for a Tesla, yet). Have them order the glass panel and contact you when it comes in. Drive your car in the meantime. Enjoy it. There is no safety hazard. When your glass finally arrives, schedule a service visit and it should be installed in a car or two (assuming everything goes smoothly).

Do not drop off the car unless you have confirmed the part is in. They’re are so many horror stories about parts being wrong, never ordered, etc. let us know how long it takes.
Others have reported getting their rear glass fixed at glass shop.

ltphoto

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can at least get windshield glass at a glass shop. I had a windshield replaced last October by Safelite through my insurance. Currently waiting to get a second one done (glass on order).

Niki-and-I

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I got in touch with my insurer and fortunately I have zero deductible on glass. They gave me a claim number and are happy for me to do it at the Tesla Service Center. I booked it through the app and checked iwith them. It seems that they do have the glass there and I will be getting it done this Monday.