Cracked roof glass, what to do?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Niki-and-I

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just discovered yesterday a crack in the glass ceiling. It has clearly been made by an impact (I don't remember hearing it, though). I guess this is a call to my insurance and then get a new glass roof? Should I ask to get this done at the Tesla Service or some other body shop? Hearing stories of parts taking forever to arrive...
img_1030-jpg.27769

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Insurance claim time, just like any other car damage. You're lucky though, 2" over and it would have been really expensive body repair.

FYI, once you initially talk to the body shop, there's nothing stopping you from contacting Tesla and getting help on how the body shop can order the part more effectively. The body shop shouldn't care either, unless they order exclusively through a 3rd party vendor.

DanSz

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Just discovered yesterday a crack in the glass ceiling. It has clearly been made by an impact (I don't remember hearing it, though). I guess this is a call to my insurance and then get a new glass roof? Should I ask to get this done at the Tesla Service or some other body shop? Hearing stories of parts taking forever to arrive...
Call your insurance company. Call Tesla (I don’t think 3rd-party shops can get any glass for a Tesla, yet). Have them order the glass panel and contact you when it comes in. Drive your car in the meantime. Enjoy it. There is no safety hazard. When your glass finally arrives, schedule a service visit and it should be installed in a car or two (assuming everything goes smoothly).

Do not drop off the car unless you have confirmed the part is in. They’re are so many horror stories about parts being wrong, never ordered, etc. let us know how long it takes.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Call your insurance company. Call Tesla (I don’t think 3rd-party shops can get any glass for a Tesla, yet). Have them order the glass panel and contact you when it comes in. Drive your car in the meantime. Enjoy it. There is no safety hazard. When your glass finally arrives, schedule a service visit and it should be installed in a car or two (assuming everything goes smoothly).

Do not drop off the car unless you have confirmed the part is in. They’re are so many horror stories about parts being wrong, never ordered, etc. let us know how long it takes.
Others have reported getting their rear glass fixed at glass shop.

ltphoto

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can at least get windshield glass at a glass shop. I had a windshield replaced last October by Safelite through my insurance. Currently waiting to get a second one done (glass on order).

Niki-and-I

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I got in touch with my insurer and fortunately I have zero deductible on glass. They gave me a claim number and are happy for me to do it at the Tesla Service Center. I booked it through the app and checked iwith them. It seems that they do have the glass there and I will be getting it done this Monday.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just went through the same thing. In my case, I did hear the noise when the pebble kicked up by a big rig hit.

It took roughly a month of waiting for the part to come in (once they ordered the wrong part and another time it came and it was broken), but each time they let me know so I could cancel the appointment first. When the right part finally did come in, I brought the car in and took them six days to get to me, which doesn't speak well for their scheduling logistics. But they gave me a Model S as a loaner car during that time, so it was OK.

My insurance company (Geico) was a pain, but paid for it with no deductible in the end. Geico kept worrying that there would be electronics involved somehow, and so kept hedging on the deductible.

The overall process was annoying, but not terribly inconvenient because the car was drivable until the repair was made and I had the loaner once it was at the SC.

Trainman37

Country
Country
So this happened to me essentially last night, but noticed it today. I basically can go through Safelite, or through Tesla. My choice. Either way it's going to cost me $100. If I go through the insurance (Safelight), then I just pay the $100 deductible on site, else I have to go through the re-imbursement process. My question really is, does anyone have any thoughts on the preference of using one or the other? Like is it worth going through Tesla since it is their car and they "might" know how to make the change more accurately, or just go through Safelight, who probably is just as qualified for the repair? Thoughts?

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So this happened to me essentially last night, but noticed it today. I basically can go through Safelite, or through Tesla. My choice. Either way it's going to cost me $100. If I go through the insurance (Safelight), then I just pay the $100 deductible on site, else I have to go through the re-imbursement process. My question really is, does anyone have any thoughts on the preference of using one or the other? Like is it worth going through Tesla since it is their car and they "might" know how to make the change more accurately, or just go through Safelight, who probably is just as qualified for the repair? Thoughts?
Good question. I'm assuming that Safelite will likely be faster and more convenient. I've use them multiple times(on non-Teslas) with a minor issue once that they promptly corrected. Tesla is certainly more familiar with the car than Safelite is, while Safelite is more familiar with glass replacement than Tesla is. I believe I'd use Tesla for any glass that has imbedded electronic or mechanical parts. But for roof glass, I think I'd go with the convenience of Safelite.