Crack in rear glass

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. Tesla already reached out to me today to say the back glass is cracked, they have ordered a replacement, and to still come accept the car at delivery tomorrow.

Has this happened with anyone else?

Not a good start to say the least. Surely it must not be that bad if they are telling me to still come to delivery tomorrow.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I personally didn't have any issues at delivery, but there are many stories here on this site alone that show Tesla makes good on their word. I know it will be an inconvenience to go back, but most locations seem to have loaners and it may not take long once they get it in. Sorry to hear of the trouble, but you'll be taken care of.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@tipton, that sucks. :(

As for whether or not I would accept the car... it depends on the crack. If the whole thing is cracked in half, I'd definitely wait for it to be fixed. If it's just a small crack at the corner or edge, I'd go along with their plan of accepting now and getting it fixed later.

I assume you're picking this up in Warrendale? AFAIK, they're not inundated with car deliveries there, so I can't imagine they're trying to free up space. What time are you supposed to take delivery? Maybe I'll stop by after work and try to find out what's going on. What color/wheels did you order? Do you know the VIN?

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
They will make good on their word and get it fixed either way. On the other hand, I guarantee you they'll be more "motivated" to correct the issue quickly if you refuse delivery ;)

I wouldn't recommend doing this over minor issues; it's a big pain for Tesla, having to store the car and having the money they need for it delayed. But if it's serious enough that you feel the need to force the issue...

Country
Country
My delivery is scheduled for tomorrow. Tesla already reached out to me today to say the back glass is cracked, they have ordered a replacement, and to still come accept the car at delivery tomorrow.

Has this happened with anyone else?

Not a good start to say the least. Surely it must not be that bad if they are telling me to still come to delivery tomorrow.
Hi @tipton

Apologies if this reply is too late to make any difference. I had much the same issue (cracked back glass) and Tesla refused to complete delivery and I left without picking up the car. It took Tesla 2 weeks to fix the glass & reschedule delivery (in Canada) and then I went back to complete delivery after it was fixed.

To say the least, I was not pleased with the way it was handled but I did get the car eventually.

Uricasha

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
At least they let you know ahead of time.

Mine got delivered yesterday and has.....
  • Chipped paint in drivers side door
  • The plastic cover on the bottom of the car had 3 bolts missing (I didn't notice this one until I got above 20 mph and heard the plastic dragging on the ground). They zip-tied it.....
  • Both passenger side rims are damaged
  • Some type of red streak going down the passenger side door.
I'm supposed to get a call today on setting up a service appointment. I'm hoping I can move past the frustration and enjoy the car after these items are fixed.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
At least they let you know ahead of time.

Mine got delivered yesterday and has.....
  • Chipped paint in drivers side door
  • The plastic cover on the bottom of the car had 3 bolts missing (I didn't notice this one until I got above 20 mph and heard the plastic dragging on the ground). They zip-tied it.....
  • Both passenger side rims are damaged
  • Some type of red streak going down the passenger side door.
I'm supposed to get a call today on setting up a service appointment. I'm hoping I can move past the frustration and enjoy the car after these items are fixed.
That's a BIG whoops. Sounds like they sideswiped something, but accidentally sent the car to delivery rather than repair. I'd expect the apologies to be prolific for this one...

JustTheTip

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Refuse delivery with the requirement that they give you a loaner tesla until they get it fixed. Make it annoying for them so they work to fix this from happening.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I accepted today. The crack is really small just at the bottom right of the back window. It isn't anything i feel remotely unsafe with. The rest of the car seems to be fine and they couldn't have been nicer at delivery. They think the glass will be in to replace in about a week or so. So it turned out ok this far i think.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Glad to hear it. :)
thanks. really appreciate you offering to check things out as well. in hindsight, it would have been smart for me to ask for a picture of the crack, then i would have known it was nothing to worry about.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I stopped by the Warrendale service center anyhow. I saw twelve 3s in the lot and another three or four inside the service center.

I asked one of the sales advisers when they thought they'd get a 3 for test drives. He guessed in about a month. They really have no idea. The last time I was there (3 weeks ago) and asked they same question, a person told me two weeks. o_O

Dl6684

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
That's a BIG whoops. Sounds like they sideswiped something, but accidentally sent the car to delivery rather than repair. I'd expect the apologies to be prolific for this one...
They used their auto parallel park and it rubbed a curve ;)

Personally OP, as long as you’re getting TESLA glass to replace it, and if they will fix it if it leaks (should it leak, but they likely wouldn’t let you have it if they thought it would), I would take the car. This goes with saying you do not find anything else wrong.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
My back glass cracked a week after delivery, the day before my appointment for tinting. Strange as it sounds, I'm glad the crack showed up when it did and not two days later. Would have been a hassle to assign blame after the tint job.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yeah thus far two days in and all is well. people i've shown the car to don't even notice the back crack because its so small.

that being said, there definitely does appear to be some type of problem with the glass install given the number of reports i've seen of the glass cracking be it on the windshield, roof, or back i've seen all 3 now. likely a minor problem they've fixed but definitely seems like a problem.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
along the same lines I have seen cracks on the front, top and back glass from stress from various users on youtube.

I accepted delivery with a cracked back windshield, and I'm going on two weeks now waiting to have it replaced. granted, it is a really small crack in the bottom right corner but that seems to be the place others have reported cracking from stress occurring as well. could my crack have happened from sitting hitting it during delivery? possibly, but it doesn't seem probable.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
4 day old Model 3. I walk out to it after work and see this crack in the glass at the bottom of the rear window
by the trunk. No damage to the trunk, just the window.

I don't know much about glass but the glass on the Model 3 looks really thin compared to other cars. Does this look like something Tesla will cover under warranty? I'm afraid they'll say the damage was caused by something other than "wear and tear."

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Chevy Volt and the rear glass is one thick piece. The one on the model 3 is 2 thin pieces sandwiches together.

Also, does anyone else's glass on the roof flex when they push it? That just seems off to me. This isn't in the area of the crack, it's on the top of the roof.

tipton

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I accepted delivery of my model 3 with the rear window cracked. it isn't as bad as what you have pictured though. still waiting for Tesla to fix it as well.

I've seen so many reports of broken glass there is definitely a problem that needs fixed.