Could The Model S Get NEW 2170 Cells?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Bobby Garrity

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it feels like we've been talking about the Model S and X switching to the 2170 cells for a long time now, it's because we have: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/new-2170-cell-for-model-s-x.3014/

Which got me thinking, it's been nearly 2 years since the first Model 3 delivery, and therefore the release of the 2170 cells. And as far as I know, they haven't changed since. We know Tesla is supply limited by batteries, so I think it's safe to assume that's the main reason they haven't made the switch yet. But at this point, I'm thinking that they're waiting for the next-gen cells to put in the S and X, as it's been so long.

But what really cemented this idea was the announcement of a Battery and Powertrain Investor Day. During the shareholder's meeting, Elon said this would come "hopefully this summer, before the end of the year for sure". So the end of the year. Now I don't think they're going to host this event to show off batteries they released over 2 years ago, so my guess is that they'll do what they did with the Autonomy Investor Day and start shipping the new cells, like how they started shipping the new computer, right before the event.

Your thoughts?

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If it feels like we've been talking about the Model S and X switching to the 2170 cells for a long time now, it's because we have: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/new-2170-cell-for-model-s-x.3014/

Which got me thinking, it's been nearly 2 years since the first Model 3 delivery, and therefore the release of the 2170 cells. And as far as I know, they haven't changed since. We know Tesla is supply limited by batteries, so I think it's safe to assume that's the main reason they haven't made the switch yet. But at this point, I'm thinking that they're waiting for the next-gen cells to put in the S and X, as it's been so long.

But what really cemented this idea was the announcement of a Battery and Powertrain Investor Day. During the shareholder's meeting, Elon said this would come "hopefully this summer, before the end of the year for sure". So the end of the year. Now I don't think they're going to host this event to show off batteries they released over 2 years ago, so my guess is that they'll do what they did with the Autonomy Investor Day and start shipping the new cells, like how they started shipping the new computer, right before the event.

Your thoughts?
My guess is that he'll talk about Maxwell's technology, Supercharger V3 rollout, Gigafactory production update, Raven drivetrain, etc.