Cost of Middle Roof Glass?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Nikola

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Is there such a thing as crackedglassroofapobia?? Cause if so...I now have it.
I might be getting that too. On Tuesday I heard a sharp crack sound while driving in city traffic, and found a neat little rock ding in the roof glass. (This was just a few weeks after having to replace the windshield.)

It's a mystery what did it. The car wasn't beneath anything when it happened, and we were traveling at low speed. The damage looked like a sharp rock fell directly on the glass from above. It left a spider crack about 1 inch in diameter in the top layer of the laminated glass, and a pimple-sized white spot in the center where the glass powdered.

I took the car to Safelite and they fixed it in about 30 minutes for $99 by injecting resin and polishing it. The result looks pretty good and most people would never see it. It looks like a small water spot now.

TIP: If you need to get a repair like this, be sure to specify it's a laminated glass roof, not a "sunroof". They can't repair sunroof glass because it's not laminated, and so glass shop staff may tell you it's not repairable.

Tesla gave me an estimate on replacing the roof glass, in case the repair doesn't last: $1055 parts, labor and tax.

WhiteDust

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was really hoping they were using the new shatterproof "Tesla Glass" that is going to be used in the Tesla Semi. I took a road trip to Myrtle Beach this past weekend and the windshield is very fragile, even more so than on my 1997 Toyota Corolla, which has taken several rocks to the windshield and never cracked. Well the model 3 received one crack going to the beach and one as soon as I hit the highway to come home. Not fun with less than 1k miles.

PTC Gator

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
1 crack (repaired) 4 dings or chips in addition at roughly 4K miles on just the front windshield. This is more than all 3 of our other cars combined at roughly 310k miles between them. My roof cracked on its own and was replaced by Tesla at almost no cost. I still love the car, but forsee a recall or other remedy for the windshields sometime in the future.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Picked my Model 3 yesterday in Orlando and sure enough... 2 hours after signing the paperwork, we were driving home on the highway and heard a huge rock hit the glass. Not a truck in sight either. Quickly looked at windshield and there was no damage so I thought it was ok.

Looking over the car later in the day though, noticed a fabulous chip in the glass right behind the windshield with a 6 inch crack behind it. Sigh.

Anyone know the cost to get the middle roof glass replaced? I keep seeing costs for the windshield but not the glass piece right behind it.

Will be calling Tesla Monday morning when they open. Thanks!
The crack you had was not due to a rock. My car did the same thing. I took it back to Tesla and they replaced the roof under warranty. I just picked it up this week. According to a Tesla thread they have a stress problem with the glass. you are not alone. The good news is they cover it under warranty.
tesla-roof-jpg.16098

Country
Country
The crack you had was not due to a rock. My car did the same thing. I took it back to Tesla and they replaced the roof under warranty. I just picked it up this week. According to a Tesla thread they have a stress problem with the glass. you are not alone. The good news is they cover it under warranty. View attachment 16098
Wow. It cracked in the shape of the Tesla logo.

shah822

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@Justmurr Yes There is such thing as that. I have had my model 3 for just about 10 months. In the last 2 months I have had 2 pieces of glass crack. The 1st being the windshield the second being the middle glass. After being out just over $1000 for the windshield I told the Tesla individuals here in St. Louis that I now have a fear of driving the car. I don't want to hit something and crack another piece. I feel as though the glass on the car is cracking VERY EASY and it is a poor quality and design. I had the fear and expressed it and just last week the top glass has cracked. Keep in mind something may have struck it as I will go in tomorrow to have them look but my point is this.

1.) I don't want to drive this car anywhere due to this issue and being out $1000 every time. $2K in 2 months is just a joke
2.) What is the point if I have to have this fear. Is it just luck i don't know but seems like something is going on with the glass.
3.) I am hearing all about stress cracks. Stress cracks are caused by STRESS. Weather the fit of the glass, temperature, etc. This is an issue and it seems like anything hitting it will cause major cracking FAST.
4.) I told the rep why is it so expensive and they need to figure out how owners can be protected and NOT have this fear. He said the windshield is because the camera's calibration etc. Basically BS. So I said ok then what about the top glass how much would that be? It is EVEN MORE! So that means the calibration etc. is all BS. Because there are no cameras or anything up there.
5.) I am thinking of seeing what I can get for the car tomorrow. Being out $2000 on glass in 2 months with 0 support from tesla. No responses after writing in several times. No CS support from the St. Louis store and it is just a joke.

I am quite upset when you spend $72,000 on a Model 3 and they change the price one week later that they wont honor but the car is not even in your possession due to paint defects that had to be fixed by their team.

My Father has the Model X and has had similar issues. Overall The experience of the car is going south. I will say that I honestly was a HUGE advocate of Tesla but in some way they need to take care of the early adopters. I reserved my Model 3 first day right away and was within the first 100,000. Little to know the $1000 reservation fee would just be eaten up by "DOCUMENTS FEE"

Be ware of Model 3. Performance I will say is unbelievable. Quality of finish, build, and materials used is on the lower end of any vehicle.

May be a Model 3 owner tomorrow may not.