Cosmetic Issues on Delivery

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While the car is an absolute blast to drive and has become my new child (father of 2 cats and now a Tesla :p) I did have some cosmetic issues on delivery. Thought I'd start documenting the process here to see how it's handled.

My overall delivery was very rushed. Guy showed me how to pair my phone and shook my hand and left. I get that they had 200 cars a day going out. I'm very reasonable and didn't mind going over it later on. It wouldn't have changed much anyway. The issues I've got wouldn't have been fixed on the spot so I would've still been making the long drive later on.

So the process started with me contacting service. I emailed them photos of the problem and they said they'd keep it on file so I could get it fixed at a later date. I'm 3 hours from the service centre. I noticed I had more scratches I hadn't noticed so I emailed them to add to my file. I was informed at the time that I had 90 days to complete the repairs from my delivery date. Not mega impressed I wasn't told this a week ago but it's not a big problem. I was given a link to their certified autobody shops.

I contacted Leon's as they appear to be the best one in Toronto. They're having me email them the pictures so they can do up the quote and get Tesla's approval. Also hoping they can arrange for me to get an EV loaner from Tesla as I doubt they'll do same day service.

Now onto the issues!

1) Drivers mirror is covered in scratches. I can't even photograph them all properly. There are 3 individual ones (the one being over an inch long) and a some spiderweb looking ones that are hard to get a picture of. It's mostly annoying as the sun catches them and it's distracting.

2) Trunk has a similar group of scratches but a bit more circular. This is the one i just noticed during my weekly wash.

3) Small chip in the passengers door

4) Paint drop on the roof. Suspect primer dripped as you can see a white head.

5) Trim misalignment on drivers side. Door itself seems aligned fine but the trim is out a fair bit.

Fortunate these are all small issues. The car drives beautifully. I honestly even feel guilty bringing these up to Tesla. I've seen Reddit and the forums covered with complaints about the tiniest little problem. If I had one of these issues I'd probably not say anything at all. I mostly see this thru the lens of if I went to sell the car to someone on Autotrader they're going to bring these problems up and try to beat me down on price. Plus if I caused any of these I'd be wanting to get it fixed.

I'll document the process here and how things go. My biggest concern is the timeframe. If they give me a Tesla then whatever, take a week if needed. I'd not be too thrilled with an ICE in my driveway though. I'd probably just park it in the garage and go back to being a one car household and use our Leaf exclusively til I had to go pick my car back up.

Attachments

Maxx77

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The trim in the photo doesn't look too bad to be honest. Mine also didn't quite line up on delivery. They adjusted the doors and it looks better now, but it's still not 100% seamless. Getting it to line up perfectly (at least on mine) doesn't look to be in the cards. It's only noticeable if you really look closely though, which is to say, only us Tesla fanatics will ever notice.

Definitely get them to fix your scratches and do the paint correction though. Just be prepared to not have your Model 3 for a week or two. They'll send it to an authorized body shop who will have it for a while. Mine had some paint defects too. Some were extremely hard to spot, but somehow I noticed them on delivery day. I thought they would spend a couple days fixing it, but it took over a week. I got a new Model S 100D to drive while they had my 3 though, so it wasn't all bad!

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The trim in the photo doesn't look too bad to be honest. Mine also didn't quite line up on delivery. They adjusted the doors and it looks better now, but it's still not 100% seamless. Getting it to line up perfectly (at least on mine) doesn't look to be in the cards. It's only noticeable if you really look closely though, which is to say, only us Tesla fanatics will ever notice.

Definitely get them to fix your scratches and do the paint correction though. Just be prepared to not have your Model 3 for a week or two. They'll send it to an authorized body shop who will have it for a while. Mine had some paint defects too. Some were extremely hard to spot, but somehow I noticed them on delivery day. I thought they would spend a couple days fixing it, but it took over a week. I got a new Model S 100D to drive while they had my 3 though, so it wasn't all bad!
I'm not too confident the trim will be fixed easily as chances are its an alignment or panel gap issue. I'm not that bothered by it and nobody has pointed it out. Figure if it has to go in anyway and they can improve it by a few mm then by all means.

Interesting that you went thru Tesla themselves.. I've only emailed the SC. So far they've sent me the link to authorized bodyshops and indicated I need to followup with them. The bodyshop told me they need to do a quote and send it to Tesla and had me send them an email. I've insisted that I get an EV loaner.. so if I don't hear back from the bodyshop today or early Monday I'll probably call the SC directly and ask to get a loaner and drop the car off to them and they can get it done. I'd be perfectly happy with an S for a few weeks. Ideally p100d haha but I'd even take an older one. Doesn't matter.

Maxx77

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It could be due to your distance to the service center that they do things differently there, or it could just be a US versus Canada type of thing. I'm really lucky in that my service center is one block from where I work. The body shop was about 20 miles away though. I've had to drop the car off with them a couple of times so far. Each time they asked if I wanted a loaner, which was really nice. I'm hoping as they ramp up production of Model 3's they'll continue to have spare S 100D's on hand to just loan out on a whim.

Just fyi, if you do get an S from them, keep in mind that the car will refuse to go over 85mph. Don't ask me how I know that...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had a front bumper with a rather obvious scratch on it and a large gash in the driver side door jamb. This was a IC delivery that we ended up signing for that day but pretty much forcing them to tow it directly to the service Centre and arrange for the body work immediately. Got a rental for the 8 days they needed to get it done. Work got done but definitely a horrible experience. They try to use the Ontario rebate as an excuse for the rush to deliver cars with defects.

AMPM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had a front bumper with a rather obvious scratch on it and a large gash in the driver side door jamb. This was a IC delivery that we ended up signing for that day but pretty much forcing them to tow it directly to the service Centre and arrange for the body work immediately. Got a rental for the 8 days they needed to get it done. Work got done but definitely a horrible experience. They try to use the Ontario rebate as an excuse for the rush to deliver cars with defects.
And good thing they did since the rebate will be closed shortly. I’m very glad I decided not to wait for the AWD

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ack, glad mine is a lot smaller. I could probably fix the small things myself.. but thats not the principal. I'm not an autobody tech so I could make it worse. I honestly don't even care that much but with them giving me a 90 day limit I figure just force them to fix it. Part of me feels its not worth the 6 hours in roundtrip and cost of gas but oh well, too late now haha.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Fortunate these are all small issues. The car drives beautifully. I honestly even feel guilty bringing these up to Tesla. I've seen Reddit and the forums covered with complaints about the tiniest little problem.
Beautiful photos! Unfortunately, they do a better job of showing off how nice the paint is than illuminating any minor defects!

azentropy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Paint issues suck, luckily I didn’t have any of those or if I did they are harder to see (another advantage of going Silver).

I’m going on 7 weeks waiting on parts to fix my issues that I thought were significant enough to have fixed. Bad pillar bulge on driver side, at least 1/2 an inch as the black disappears looking at it internally and you can see it sticking out looking for outside through windshield. Rear door insulation kinked/twisted (have another post on that) and misaligned Frunk (large gap on one side, too small a gap on the other). Again I have a few other minor fit/finish/trim issues I haven’t escalated.

Really want to get the interior rear door trim fixed as it is holding up getting my windows tinted (and it has hit the 110s here recently). Also I live about an hour away with no traffic from the nearest service center and they originally said they would be able to send a ranger out, but when I talked to them yesterday trying to get status they waffled in if they would be able to do that.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well well.. guess who fixed his own problems?

<-- this guy

So I curbed my wheel a few weeks ago. Decided to just buy another wheel from Tesla. Most tire shops are confused at the foam in the tires and won't work on them so having one here is a great idea when the SC is 300km away. So I got thinking how making a trip to the bodyshop for the scratches is a pain in the ass. I've waited over a week for them to get approval to even fix it and still no real confirmation. Tesla is calling me Tuesday to schedule the tire swap. I can then have them see if the trim can be adjusted on my drivers door and get my steering wheel aligned.

All I did was tape off the area and take some Meguirs compound to it. Followed the directions and got the scratches off both the trunk and my mirror in about 5 minutes. Only needed one application. Looks beautiful now! I did notice there is a small imperfection in the middle of where the scratches were. I can't feel it but looks like maybe a small impact point or something. It's impossible to see, I only noticed it as I had a flashlight on the area.

The only real issue to take care of is the paint bubble on the roof. I'm just going to paint the white head with my touchup paint as its super super small to start with.
36422014_10160628799060241_6404771698423365632_n-jpg.10919

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had a mixed service experience so far. Talked to a guy at Lawrence on the weekend who was very nice but couldn't confirm if the tire was in stock but he confirmed the rim was. Said someone would call me Tuesday. I had a busy work day so I had the better half call. On his 5th call finally someone picked up and then told him they don't sell wheels like that. You buy them online and they call you when it's ready. It's comical as when you read the description for the wheels online it says "Should you need to purchase an individual wheel or tire, please contact your closest Tesla Service Center."

So I called and called and couldn't get anyone. Tried Oakville, same deal. Tried the Mississauga SC and they picked up. Confirmed they have the rim and tire and have me coming in Thursday to install. They'll also look at my out of alignment steering wheel and the door trim. Hoping to snag an S loaner. I've never been able to get a test drive as the Toronto locations are among the busiest in North America.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Service went great.

I was given a Mercedes as a loaner for the afternoon. Any gas expenses would be covered as they didn't have an EV for me.

They provided me a new rim for free! They didn't have the tire in stock so they opted to swap my tire to a new rim and not charge me. I've still got my old one so I can buy a tire for it down the road. Quite happy with that.

The steering is properly aligned now. It's not a simple job for them. The steering rack is a 'smart rack' and has a calibration period that lasts an hour. So they had to align it and drive the car around to calibrate it. He said if they just aligned the wheel then the car would be out of alignment.

They washed it for me too. Was very happy. They won't touch the door trim though. They tried but the door itself isn't quite aligned and thats a whole other job. It's within factory tolerance and it doesn't bug me. I'd be the only one that'd notice it.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
The steering is properly aligned now. It's not a simple job for them. The steering rack is a 'smart rack' and has a calibration period that lasts an hour. So they had to align it and drive the car around to calibrate it. He said if they just aligned the wheel then the car would be out of alignment.
Thanks for this tip.

I know when I asked and got an alignment, they told me it was an hour, which struck me as odd.......but my car did have an extra 8 kms added to it when I got it back.......

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for this tip.

I know when I asked and got an alignment, they told me it was an hour, which struck me as odd.......but my car did have an extra 8 kms added to it when I got it back.......
Surprised it wasn't more. Maybe it doesn't need as much of a calibration. The tech mentioned they'd been asking clients to do the calibration but they kept getting negative surveys which I guess greatly hurts the location. They weren't happy they were being asked to do a procedure. I get it though, the service centre is in the middle of some of the worst Toronto traffic.

Not sure if its related but they put on my invoice that they checked and confirmed I was on the latest firmware.. I wasn't but today I got the firmware with cabin overheat protection and wifi.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Service went great.

I was given a Mercedes as a loaner for the afternoon. Any gas expenses would be covered as they didn't have an EV for me.

They provided me a new rim for free! They didn't have the tire in stock so they opted to swap my tire to a new rim and not charge me. I've still got my old one so I can buy a tire for it down the road. Quite happy with that.

They washed it for me too. Was very happy. They won't touch the door trim though. They tried but the door itself isn't quite aligned and thats a whole other job. It's within factory tolerance and it doesn't bug me. I'd be the only one that'd notice it.
Glad they took good care of you! Of course, it's too bad you only got a Mercedes ICE car for a loaner but I guess beggars can't be choosers! o_O

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Surprised it wasn't more. Maybe it doesn't need as much of a calibration. The tech mentioned they'd been asking clients to do the calibration but they kept getting negative surveys which I guess greatly hurts the location. They weren't happy they were being asked to do a procedure. I get it though, the service centre is in the middle of some of the worst Toronto traffic.
I take it the calibration involves something more than simply driving the car normally. Otherwise, I can't see this resulting in negative reviews. Did the tech elaborate on what the procedure was? When we took delivery our Model 3 pulled noticeably to the right. Before we got home it drove as true as true can be! Maybe it "self-calibrated"! The wonders of modern automotive technology!

Not sure if its related but they put on my invoice that they checked and confirmed I was on the latest firmware.. I wasn't but today I got the firmware with cabin overheat protection and wifi.
I'm jealous! I love the free over-the-air upgrades but it's still difficult when I see everyone but me getting the latest update!

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I take it the calibration involves something more than simply driving the car normally. Otherwise, I can't see this resulting in negative reviews. Did the tech elaborate on what the procedure was? When we took delivery our Model 3 pulled noticeably to the right. Before we got home it drove as true as true can be! Maybe it "self-calibrated"! The wonders of modern automotive technology!

I'm jealous! I love the free over-the-air upgrades but it's still difficult when I see everyone but me getting the latest update!
He said the calibration involved driving the car as straight as possible for near 100km but they certainly didn't add 100km to the car in my case. More like 30 so maybe it can be sped up. I watched them with the app and where they were haha.

The software updates is probably the best feature of the vehicle. I got a notice that my Leaf needs a software update to better display it's range.. it's a 2 hour appointment at the service centre. The 3 was really behind in updates when I got it. I was 2-3 versions behind surprisingly but got the updates within a few days of getting it home.