Jeda - Top Tesla Accessories

SoFlaModel3

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey everyone, I converted from my NEMA 14-50 to a Tesla Wall Charger last weekend and I am very happy with the results. I kept the 50A breaker, so my charging has gone from 32A to 40A as I was limited by the second gen UMC at 32A.

As far as charge speed is concerned, this takes me from 30 to 37 miles of range per hour. If I bump up to a 60A breaker and get to 48A charging that will take it to 44 miles of range per hour. I may do that down the road, but it doesn’t feel necessary right now. When I get home from work I plug in and then about 2 hours later I switch over and plug in my wife’s car so we both leave each morning at 90%.

To be honest, the Tesla Wall Charger is not necessary in my use case at all, but with it being a referral prize it became a no brainer.

As a DIY project the cost of the project (not including the wall charger) is ~$20 (just converting from NEMA 14-50 to wall charger and not including the original run), though you should absolutely consult with or hire an electrician if you are not comfortable with this project.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask!

Here is a video showing the progression...

Reactions: 1 person

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
NEVER just change a breaker. The wire and the panel must be able to support the current, else house burns and Tesla lost

SoFlaModel3

Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
NEVER just change a breaker. The wire and the panel must be able to support the current, else house burns and Tesla lost

Yes, of course that goes without saying — so thanks for saying it!