Converted HPWC

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have an HPWC that was converted to J1772 with a 80 amp cable from Quick Charge Power. I can charge my Volt without a problem but my Model 3 will not charge. Looks like the handshake is an issue but can’t be 100% sure.

I have another charger from OpenEVSE and my J1772 adapter works with it so it seems the adapter isn’t the problem.

I’ve read about problems Tesla owners have had and tried all of the remedies with using the adapter but I still get a red light.

Has anyone converted an HPWC to J1772 and used it with the adapter? Makes no sense to me because it works fine with the Volt but not the Model 3 and even if it had the original Tesla handle, the handshake should be the same.

orekart

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...it works fine with the Volt but not the Model 3 and even if it had the original Tesla handle, the handshake should be the same.
Try a different Model 3 to be sure. Power conversion systems in some Model 3's had to be replaced (mine and a friend's was, two other friends' Model 3's were fine). It would charge at a lesser rate but not on all stations.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I found the problem and really surprised nobody else has run into this. Couldn’t find anyone else that came up with this solution.

The DIP switches were left down, right up. My service is ~240VAC. That setting would charge the Volt but not the Model 3.

The DIP switches were changed to both down. That setting will charge both cars without a problem.

It doesn’t make any sense because both switches down isn’t even a valid setting according to the manual. Anyhow, it works and the problem is resolved.