Control your Model 3 with Google Home

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I just picked up a Google Home mini on a Black Friday sale and was playing around with it. After I a while I thought it would be cool to perhaps control a Tesla with it and looked at the development kit thinking I’d write an agent for it but someone beat me to it.

From TMC Post:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...ssistant-now-available-for-general-use.91949/

Building on our Amazon Alexa Skill (EV Car / My Tesla), we have now added support for Google Home and Google Assistant. This allows you to control and communicate with your Tesla with no additional software to install. Support for Google Assistant is particularly exciting since it can be used from your phone from practically anywhere.

To get started, follow these steps:

Google Assistant on iPhone/iPad:
  • Open the Google Assistant app.
  • Say "Talk to EV Car".
  • You will see a card that prompts you to link to you Tesla Account.
  • Once linked, say "Talk to EV Car" again.
  • (Your spoken text might be recognized as "evie car" which is fine. You can also try to use the keyboard to enter the text directly)
Android Running 6.0+ (Most Android phones released in the last couple of years)
  • Say "Ok Google, talk to EV Car"
  • OR Hold the home button for a couple of seconds and Say "Talk to EV Car".
  • Once linked, say "Talk to EV Car" again.
  • (Your spoken text might be recognized as "evie car" which is fine. You can also try to use the keyboard to enter the text directly)
Google Home (Smart Speaker):
  • Say "Talk to EV Car".
  • You should get a prompt that EV Car is not yet linked.
  • Open the Google Home app on your phone.
  • Once linked, go back to the Google Home device and say "Talk to EV Car".
To link account, enter your Tesla Account email/password OR if you already have a token, just enter that instead. The email/password is only used to generate a token and is not stored anywhere.

Please treat this as Beta software. While this has been tested for the last month or so, there might be some corner cases that might need to be handled better. Google has also made recent changes to their infrastructure and there are certain scenarios that they still need to address. Please provide all feedback and suggestions on this forum.

Google Home in action (YouTube):
Direct link to the Google Action:https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/5a33fba4f93f74bc/

Here are some things you can say:
get charge status
get car status
get climate status
get location
turn climate on
warm up my car
cool my car
set driver temperature to 72
set passenger side to 73
start charging
stop charging
honk the horn
flash lights
turn climate off
stop climate
stop heating
stop cooling
how warm is my car
how cold is my car
dude where's my car
get ready to take off
go into hyperdrive
how far can I drive
how far can I go
whats your name
switch cars
set charge limit to 85 percent
start charging to 90 percent
whats the charge limit
lock the car
unlock the car​

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got a Home Mini too (freebie for buying a Pixel 2).
I don't know if I'll ever prefer talking to one of these things instead of clicking & typing.

Country
Country
We've been using EV Car for a few months with Alexa. It's great! Primarily we use it to track the car (see if the wife is on the way home) and to pre-start climate control.

Every few weeks Tesla expires the API token, so you do have to log in again, but it only takes a few minutes.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's another fun thought, if you can talk to your car remotely, someone else can too. The most haunting film clips I think is the setup at a race track where some guy in the bleachers w/pc instructions a moving car on the track to hard brake and stop dead in it's tracks. I have several more months to wait for mine but I was hoping the software folks at Tesla would lock that ability down as I suspect Tesla is the first truly SDC, software defined car.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's another fun thought, if you can talk to your car remotely, someone else can too. The most haunting film clips I think is the setup at a race track where some guy in the bleachers w/pc instructions a moving car on the track to hard brake and stop dead in it's tracks. I have several more months to wait for mine but I was hoping the software folks at Tesla would lock that ability down as I suspect Tesla is the first truly SDC, software defined car.
this isn't hollywood... the DevKit commands do not control the driving of the car, but do things like flash the lights, turn on the AC, etc. Worse someone could do is know where your car is located and annoy you.
AND... you need the Tesla login info to your account, so use a secure password that gets changed now and then.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
this isn't hollywood... the DevKit commands do not control the driving of the car, but do things like flash the lights, turn on the AC, etc. Worse someone could do is know where your car is located and annoy you.
AND... you need the Tesla login info to your account, so use a secure password that gets changed now and then.
I haven’t looked through the API, but isn’t Summon in there? I know there is a popular third party app (Remote S for Tesla) and Summon is listed as one of the features.

That actually makes me really nervous to the point where I may actually not consider this.

Taking that a step further even though the app gets great reviews I am unlikely to use it.

Perhaps it’s time to make my own!

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I haven’t looked through the API, but isn’t Summon in there? I know there is a popular third party app (Remote S for Tesla) and Summon is listed as one of the features.

That actually makes me really nervous to the point where I may actually not consider this.

Taking that a step further even though the app gets great reviews I am unlikely to use it.

Perhaps it’s time to make my own!
I haven’t looked at the API but if it was my decision summon wouldn’t be part of the public spec. That’s something best kept to themselves

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven’t looked at the API but if it was my decision summon wouldn’t be part of the public spec. That’s something best kept to themselves
I double checked, Summon is definitely available via the Remote S App for Tesla as is Homelink (even more concerning).

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Gee thanks Trev, I was really trying hard to keep my Tesla addiction to this forum alone! Now because of you I'm reading "the other forum" and I found out that people are putting the Amazon Dot into their cars. My other hobby is having my my entire house rigged for voice command/smart home and now I have a whole other obsession with this car. Just what needed!.....LOL:)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Gee thanks Trev, I was really trying hard to keep my Tesla addiction to this forum alone! Now because of you I'm reading "the other forum" and I found out that people are putting the Amazon Dot into their cars. My other hobby is having my my entire house rigged for voice command/smart home and now I have a whole other obsession with this car. Just what needed!.....LOL:)
Couldn’t that be avoided by having an iOS or Android phone in the car (which would already be there)?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Couldn’t that be avoided by having an iOS or Android phone in the car (which would already be there)?
It could be avoided if Siri or Google were not so darn annoying and hard to control. I find the Amazon voice recognition in the Alexa products to be so much better I use it all the time. Talking to Google, Siri, or even Bixby just doesn't seem to ever work as well for me and is more frustrating than useful most of the time. Maybe it's because I use it so much at home that it's what I'm used to and like.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It could be avoided if Siri or Google were not so darn annoying and hard to control. I find the Amazon voice recognition in the Alexa products to be so much better I use it all the time. Talking to Google, Siri, or even Bixby just doesn't seem to ever work as well for me and is more frustrating than useful most of the time. Maybe it's because I use it so much at home that it's what I'm used to and like.
It must be different for everyone :)

My Alexa fails at high frequency on “Alexa... turn on the light” to the point where I end up opening the WeMo app and doing it manually more often than not.

Siri is generally bullet proof for me, but sometimes slow.

Ugh... first world problems :cool:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It must be different for everyone :)

My Alexa fails at high frequency on “Alexa... turn on the light” to the point where I end up opening the WeMo app and doing it manually more often than not.

Siri is generally bullet proof for me, but sometimes slow.

Ugh... first world problems :cool:
LOL, yes, first world problems. A bit like the Jetsons complaining about how hard it is to do the laundry then pushing one button and having the robots take over! My Alexa is probably 90% first time correct (or better) but it's taken some time to setup. Unique names for lights or switches that don't sound alike really helped. My experience with all other voice activation has been pure aggravation. I'm hoping that Tesla has improved it's voice activation over what I've experienced in all other cars which is pretty much useless. If the in car stuff is good and I can possibly integrate my phone, and actually start to use it, then I won't need an Echo Dot in the car. It's the overwhelming number of things that Alexa connects to and can control that might make it worth trying in the car. More reading on that other forum then........

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Interesting ... the API technically isn’t public and we aren’t supposed to use it.

Seems strange that the public is able to authenticate and use it though...

https://timdorr.docs.apiary.io/#
Here’s a great video on how to use that web app to query the Tesla JSON API.

Apparently summon is something you can call upon but they’re not listed in the examples above and they require the keyfob to be present within a few feet as an interlock.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here’s a great video on how to use that web app to query the Tesla JSON API.

Apparently summon is something you can call upon but they’re not listed in the examples above and they require the keyfob to be present within a few feet as an interlock.

This is awesome!

I absolutely see myself writing some kind of iOS app :)

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay, so I don't speak computer code but I know there are people here who do. Just a quick question, is there anyway to get a Model 3 Tesla to talk to a smart home controller like SmartThings? I'd really like to be able to use the car as a "Presence Sensor" or somehow have the car send a signal when I come and go from my house to activate the smart home controller. I've tried to read about how to do this on other forums but my head hurts when coders start speaking in their native tongue...LOL. I know Tesla doesn't allow third party apps but I also know that there are ways to work around things. Is there any easy way to do this? Oh, and what the heck is an API anyway?:)