Constant Idle/Charging Cycling?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently started using TeslaFi and I've noticed some strange charging behavior. It seems to cycle constantly between idle and charge overnight as I have it plugged in. It'll idle for 6 minutes, charge for 0 minutes, idle for 3 minutes, charge for 1 minute, and cycle back and forth all night. It's quite strange, has anyone else noticed this on TeslaFi? Here's a snippet of my TeslaFi page...

I have cabin preconditioning turned on, but it's typically under the temperature threshold at night so I'm not sure what's causing this issue. Anyone else see anything similar? Thanks!

viperd

Country
Country
It looks like your charge limit is set to 75% and the car has reached the limit and is trickle charging to stay at 755.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, the limit is set at 75%, but is it strange that the car NEVER sleeps? Is this the kind of typical charging activity that other people see? It's literally doing something like a hundred cycles a night, which seems odd. Can anyone else chip in with their experiences w/ TeslaFi?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, I've had evenings where it charges to full and then just goes idle, without this on/off cycling thing happening, but lately it's been constantly doing that and I can't seem to figure out why it's doing it...

A normal evening, I'd expect it to look like this.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Funny, I also had the same thing happen last night. Limit set to 80%. Several bouts of idle then charge. Did not do it the previous five nights.

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
This is happening to me too. I was standing in my driveway talking with my neighbor and could hear my EVSE click on and off almost constantly, about every 2 and 4 minutes. This can't be normal. It will wear out the relays in the car if they are opening and closing hundreds of times per day. There is no way the charge has dropped enough in 4 or 5 minutes to warrant another charge cycle. Every few hours I understand to keep the battery topped up but not ever few minutes.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, agreed. It seems very odd. I turned off cabin overheat protection and turned on nighttime Tesla sleep mode and that seems to help. I'll report back if I see this kind of behavior happen again in the future.

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Running into the same issue with my Model 3 and Teslafi. I want to leave cabin overheat on, so I just tried disabling temperature monitoring on the sleep settings for Teslafi and am going to see how that works.

markrodg

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m also seeing this but just over the past few days. When plugged in and charged to the set 80%, charging seems to continually cycle and I’m alerted on my phone every minute or so that charging has started. Very annoying and worrisome for the relays and hardware on the car.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have any charging/cycling issues using TeslaFi, but have been seeing "Offline" messages and extended Idle periods of non-sleep ever since updating my 3 to 28.1. On 24.7 everything was perfect and worked as it should..hopefully next update will take it back to my normal. :cool:

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I’m also seeing this but just over the past few days. When plugged in and charged to the set 80%, charging seems to continually cycle and I’m alerted on my phone every minute or so that charging has started. Very annoying and worrisome for the relays and hardware on the car.
Disabling both of the temperature settings on Teslafi under sleep mode seems to have fixed it for me. As others have said, the 3 does report being offline sometimes, but that is due to Tesla firmware and nothing Teslafi can fix. My current settings are standard sleep mode defaults on Teslafi with cabin overheat on, but temp settings disabled. Constant charging cycles gone.

markrodg

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have any charging/cycling issues using TeslaFi, but have been seeing "Offline" messages and extended Idle periods of non-sleep ever since updating my 3 to 28.1. On 24.7 everything was perfect and worked as it should..hopefully next update will take it back to my normal. :cool:
Come to think of it, it has been since 28.1 that I've seen this behavior. I called Tesla service today and left a message.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Turning off the temp setting is a work around at least. The offline issue seems to be new to this firmware - the constant charging cycles may be as well.
What temp setting?

My C.O.P has been off and I don't have either of the TeslaFi "Try to Sleep Requirements" (Temp Settings) checked either.

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
What temp setting?

My C.O.P has been off and I don't have either of the TeslaFi "Try to Sleep Requirements" (Temp Settings) checked either.
These settings on Teslafi (Outside Temperature Reading:
No Inside Temperature Reading: ) - I have them both off. On the mode 3 I also have cabin overheat protection turned on (although they recommend it turned off for sleep to work well. With these settings the constant recharging isn’t happening. It does go offline from time to time though.

Previously I had cabin overheat on, and the two temp settings above on, and it went was going through a 1 minute charge cycle every 45 minutes or so. Once I turned off the temp settings that stopped.