Considering Trading in your Model 3 for the Y?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

DennisP

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I love my Model 3 and have had zero problems with it. I took delivery March 19 and have taken two 1200 to 2200 mile trips, now up to almost 13000 miles total.

That said, my wife has a harder time getting in and out - she has MS so it's a challenge but of course I help. From what I've read the Y should be more accommodating in that regard so I'm considering trading in my 3 for it. I know I'd take a financial hit as I spent around $2.2K for PPF and tint, plus the sales tax and depreciation of course. But if it would make my wife happier I may suck it up and spring for the Y - lot's to think about before it actually comes available.

So I'm curious, how many others are considering trading in your 3's for Y's? Other thoughts?

Thought I'd start the discussion while this is all still hypothetical :).

Last edited:

Greg Appelt

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my Model 3 SR+ since April, and because of driving for Uber, I've put over 30k miles on it. I've also noticed many people with flexibility issues having difficulty getting in and out. I am definitely thinking about upgrading to the Model Y. Partially because of the increased space (third row), and partially for the ease of ingress/egress .

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been thinking about the Y as well. Mostly so I can have some more room for toys in the back and for letting passengers have an easier time getting in and out. I'm with you, taking the financial hit for an upgrade is scary. I'm not sure what the real cost would end up being. I love my M3 and have over 13K on it but I could use something a little bigger.

NightStorm

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think about it but don't know that I'll actually do it because of the $$$ that will be involved. I think when the Y gets ramped up this will drive down the resale price of the 3, plus there will suddenly be quite a few on the market further driving it down. My interest in getting a Y would be not only for the room but for some of the improvements: reduced road noise, increased reliability from improved manufacturing techniques, improved internal wiring system, nicer trunk system, better roof, ...

DennisP

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Yeah all good thoughts and yes, the Y will probably drive down 3 re-sale value even more.

The suspension lift would probably help some - i didn't know that was a possibility for the 3. Something to think about...

I understand the B-pillar is pushed back a bit on the Y too so that would be a plus for entry/exit. And also on the plus side are the new design features, including that 1 piece frame I've been reading about. How cool is that?

Lot's to consider but time to think about it for sure. Not like I'm slumming now... ;)

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most likely yes, though not at first just for financial reasons.

The model Y is what I actually expected the Model 3 to be when it was unveiled (I reserved my 3 about an hour before it was unveiled). I can't fit my hockey bag in the trunk of the 3, so I have to drive my wife's Volvo to my games.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love my Model 3 and have had zero problems with it. I took delivery March 19 and have taken two 1200 to 2200 mile trips, now up to almost 13000 miles total.

That said, my wife has a harder time getting in and out - she has MS so it's a challenge but of course I help. From what I've read the Y should be more accommodating in that regard so I'm considering trading in my 3 for it. I know I'd take a financial hit as I spent around $2.2K for PPF and tint, plus the sales tax and depreciation of course. But if it would make my wife happier I may suck it up and spring for the Y - lot's to think about before it actually comes available.

So I'm curious, how many others are considering trading in your 3's for Y's? Other thoughts?

Thought I'd start the discussion while this is all still hypothetical :).
My wife also has MS and can benefit from the additional height.

That said, I'm seriously considering making "Middie" a "working girl" on Turo while we drive "Middy".

Heck, I may Turo out "Middy", I can rent her for twice what I would "Middie".

Nom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m thinking about it. Can’t convince my wife to go for it and trade in her car. Will wait and see how much people like the Y .... Take it for a drive ... etc.

The more videos I see the more I’m liking it.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We're definitely keeping our 3, and very likely going to replace my wife's Subaru Outback with a Y.

The Y isn't as high off the ground as the Outback, but when I got into the test-ride Y at the reveal event, it definitely felt much more like I was stepping "up into" the vehicle than I do stepping "down into" my Model 3. For those who need or prefer that ease of entry, the Y should fit the bill.

As a related aside, I recently learned that my parents are considering downsizing their X to a Y. After driving my 3 around a lot on a recent visit, they really took a liking to its handling and efficiency (not to mention its lack of falcon-wing doors ;)), but they'd prefer a hatch, and the 3's ride height would pose a challenge for them and some of their frequent passengers. So, the Y sounds like a great compromise in those respects.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And also on the plus side are the new design features, including that 1 piece frame I've been reading about. How cool is that?
Interesting at least, anyone have a thought what it might do to insurance repair costs? I mean it's just still multiple parts in the frame but welded together in 1 giant gig so everything is 'perfect' right (vs traditional assembly line for building the body)? Front fenders still bolt on etc

Sorry to derail but I do think about this as the Y might be a good replacement for 2 cars (I'm hoping) an older small Toyota pickup and an Audi A3 e-tron fingers crossed. Seats down, hatch back, plenty of space to carry stuff that didn't fit in either car.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
As a related aside, I recently learned that my parents are considering downsizing their X to a Y.
We have thought of doing this too. The X is bigger than we usually need. But I think there are a number of things I need to make me take that leap: air suspension (or at least a smoother ride than the 3 - for really long trips), longer range (I think we need to see 400+ miles before we do a trade in), and a heated steering wheel. And I really, really like closing the driver’s door by stepping on the brake. Initially thought it was a stupid pet trick that I would disable, but it is one of my favorite features of the X. I have wondered at what point they will stop making the X and maybe come out with an ultra luxury version of the Y instead?