Considering STEALING my Tesla BACK from the Service Center!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Before I took delivery Tesla informed me that they spotted a defect on the hood. It delayed my collection by 1 week, as it needed to be re-painted.

After repaint, I was told all paint was perfect.

Knowing that, I drove STRAIGHT from Marina del Rey to Sticker City to have the car completely wrapped in a clear wrap to protect the paint.

After having the car for a few weeks (and loving it!)...on August 16, 2018 I went over the car in detail, & noticed 2 HAIRS, as well as other defects under the wrap. I assumed this was a quick & easy fix that could be remedied by the wrap place (thinking this happened during the wrapping process)...however...as it turned out, these issues were NOT due to the wrap!! All these issues were IN ORIGINAL THE CLEAR COAT or UNDER THE PAINT ITSELF! I total of approx. 10-12 issues/defects in the paint.

So clearly, TESLA was not correct when they informed me that the paint was perfect before I took delivery.

I immediately informed Tesla, & an appointment was made THAT DAY to go over the paint issues, & remedy immediately. Was told repeatedly, that THIS was not how Tesla wants to be represented, none of these defects should have ever been present.

The employee doing the intake (Connor) at Agoura Hills was initially VERY good with his customer service. He was eager to have everything dealt with swiftly, & suggested we get this taken care of within the next few days, as he was leaving for a week. As the wrap needed to come off & then re-applied, he also needed to coordinate with Sticker City.

The owner of Sticker City (Dean), immediately called Conner & confirmed they would work in conjunction with Tesla...he only just needed to be informed when the paint was done, so re-wrapped could begin.

3 days passed, with NO further communication from Connor.

I assumed someone else would have taken over while he was away, however no one did.

The following week & for the next 2.5 WEEKS...I called the service center twice a week, to get in contact with Connor, so we can get this issue rectified.

KNOWING he was getting numerous messages from me, & how imperative it was to get this dealt with, he blatantly ignored all phone calls & messages from me.

I eventually got so fed-up, that I called the main Service Line, who apologized profusely, explained that how I am being treated is NOT how Tesla operates, & that Connor needs to take responsibility for his actions. He needs to CALL ME to get these issues dealt with.

The Customer Service rep contacted him over email in REAL TIME while I was on the phone. Connor told them directly in that email message that he would call me back right away.

I then waited by the phone...& as usual, Connor DID NOT CALL ME!

I called him again a few days later...left a message...again, no return call.

It was not until the following week that I FINALLY managed to get him on the phone. He gave weak apology, & set me up for a new service appointment Sept. 20, 2018. I was told to come early in the morning, so they can take the car to their body/paint shop. I told him to make sure it was going to paint quickly, as I DO NOT want my car sitting outside for long hours in 100 degree heat, nor do I want it outside overnight in their unsecured lot. He confirmed things would be taken care of quickly, & that all cars are brought in at night, so I had nothing to worry about.

I dropped it off that day, & though Connor was not there, the employees who were there were very helpful. We marked off all the paint areas that needed to get rectified, & I was told that Connor was coming in at 9am, & he'll call me right away to let me know how we are proceeding.

Go figure...Connor never called me.

The following day (Friday), my car was STILL at the Agoura Hills Service Center...&...it was NEVER brought inside (it sat outside baking in extreme heat, and then left overnight in the unsecure lot).

I called that morning to find out what was going on with the car (why is it still parked?), & informed them that I want to put my heat shield in the windows to help cool the interior (fear of warping plastic/dash as interior was over 100 degrees most of the day). I was told by the person who answered the phone that they did not know where my car was (?), & that I would have to speak with Connor, as he is the one dealing with it.

I left a message for him to call me back...he did not return the call.

I called AGAIN that night, Connor did not return the call.

That night I went onto the lot myself & put up the heat shields.

It is now September 24, & my car is STILL SITTING OUTSIDE and NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE!

I live 1 mile from the Service Center. There was NO REASON for me to take my car in if NOTHING WAS BEING DONE TO IT!

As of today...no phone call, no communication, no plan of action. What was supposed to be an EXCITING time for me is now one of the WORST customer service experiences I have ever had.

Referring the title of my post, I am debating grabbing my car BACK from the service center, and either start over with another service center or forget the entire thing altogether...

NOT HAPPY!!

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, you didn't see the defects on delivery. Your wrap provider didn't see them when wrapping, and 2 weeks later, with fine detail, you find the defects? Sound pretty catastrophic to me.

So now you are expecting Tesla to fix it, after you've wrapped it. Tesla agrees. For some reason it sounds as if this conversation wasn't necessarily the best one, as some of your responses sound as if the conversation may have been a little heated.

Now when it comes to getting fixed, your car is evidently special, because you can't have it sitting in the sun in an unsecured lot, as it was before you got it. Get real, sitting in the lot isn't going to hurt the car.

So, regrettably, you have evidently put yourself into the position where a Service Advisor doesn't want to help you. That's the person that has a bunch of other cars and people also needing assistance.

Honey catches more flies than vinegar.

Sorry

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, there have not been any "heated" conversations.

Defects were not present until close inspection.

Did they bother me...sure...but Tesla insisted them being fixed, as they did not want the car to look like that. They just dragged the situation on and on and on and on and on...with no communication in terms of what they were doing or how they were doing it.

ummmmmmmmmm..100+ degree direct sun...followed by water (it is parked next to a sprinkler)...as well as the morning condensation...followed by 100+ degree heat again can cause issues with the wrap. Anyone who has wrapped their car knows this.

When I drop $65K cash for a car...I expect to be treated fairly, with open communication. It is something called "customer service" ...maybe they do not have that in Atlanta? I have been in customer service for 25 years, so I know how to act and present myself when it comes customer service issues. How I speak on a forum is not indicative of how I communicate with others in person.

Yes, Sticker City should have pointed out the defects. They knew these defects and documented theme before they wrapped it. This is not a case of "no one" noticing...so don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. Had they told me, I could have made a decision on whether or not to wrap the car. The problem is that every Tesla the have come in has paint defects. So in most cases they do not bother pointing them out, as Tesla will be re-painting almost every car they have been delivering.

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's rough sorry to hear about the problems. Tesla's at fault for many things you pointed out, communication is the big one. However some responsibilities have to lie on you and the detail shop. When you take delivery, it's your responsibility to look over the car carefully and point out any issues you may have. Ideally you do this thorough inspection before you sign the final paperwork.

Then it's also the detail shop's job, as detailers, to let you know if there are any paint defects before they wrap the car. They are the ones that often do paint correction before they wrap cars. Most of them are eager to let you know when the paint requires correction because they get paid more for it. So why they documented the defects without notifying you I have no idea. You do paint correction before you wrap the car and before ceramic coating, everybody knows that. If you don't then you would have to strip everything off, which is a waste of money and time for everybody involved.

I'm not excusing Tesla or the bad repaint job. Just that you have more leverage if you inspect your car in detail before accepting delivery. We all know they're making a final push for end of the quarter so your car is now in a long line of cars that they need to correct. Anyways hope you get things resolved soon. It's worth reporting your issues to Tesla, as Tesla contract these service shops and if a particular service shop isn't doing their job, you will want to let Tesla know. The service shop you are using isn't one of Tesla's own body shops that everybody's raving about.

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hear ya...

No disagreement there.

However...when I collected the car, it was a very quick, "here's your car, off you go". Bright sunny morning...lots of glare off the silver paint. What I did see, I did point out. I was actually there for around 30 min. or so just going over the car. Fingerprints in the headliner...ink stains on the wood...brown stain on the door. I had them fix/clean those issues while there.

From what I could see with my naked eye, those were the only issues...but again, the sun was bright and glare all over the place.

I actually presented a solution that would have worked for everyone:

LEAVE the wrap...and when I decide to remove it, or if I need to replace it...we deal with the paint issues then. This way no extra time or money is being wasted.

Tesla did not want to do that.

Mike

Last edited:

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hear ya...

No disagreement there.

However...when I collected the car, it was a very quick, "here's your car, off you go". Bright sunny morning...lots of glare off the silver paint. What I did see, I did point out. I was actually there for around 30 min. or so just going over the car. Fingerprints in the headliner...ink stains on the wood...brown stain on the door. I had them fix/clean those issues while there.

From what I could see with my naked eye, those were the only issues...but again, the sun was bright and glare all over the place.

I actually presented a solution that would have worked for everyone:

LEAVE the wrap...and when I decide to remove it, or if I need to replace it...we deal with the paint issues then. This way no extra time or money is being wasted.

Tesla did not want to do that.

Mike
Body shops issues, this seems to be a big reason for owner frustration. It was for me as well as “back in 3 days” turned into 2 weeks. I’m glad Elon admitted as much a week or so ago and talked about bringing body work in house. I imagine that will take lots of time to get up and running though and won’t be any help in time for you.
I feel for you and what you’re going through... wish there was something I could do besides just encourage you to stay the course, keep on them for answers and, if possible, to focus on any positives you can.

I’ve said this before on another post but, looking back on my own issues, now 7 months removed from them, I don’t even give them a thought. Water under the bridge if you will. I’d go through it again in a heartbeat knowing what I know now, that I would just absolutely love every minute I get to drive this car. If I could, I’d share this feeling with you because I think you’ve already had it and just want it back. It WILL come back. Maybe not soon enough to our liking, and they’ve definitely not provided the best customer experience to you, however it will happen.
Stay positive if you can, and keep us posted. Sorry again for all of that mess you’re going through.

BlueMeanie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm so confused how your PPF installer did not find these defects. When I had mine applied, the installer went over the car with a fine tooth comb to find blemishes and correct them if possible before applying the film.
Sound to me like your PPF installer is to blame as well.
Certainly the adviser at Tesla should do a better job communicating, maybe should have even had you keep your car at home until they were ready to fix the issues for you.

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They found the defects...and took pics...they just did not tell me about them... :(

Would prefer to keep my car at home...but no one is calling me or replying to my phone calls. I have no idea what is going on.

I escalated this to the main Customer Service line...and the Service Manager has until Tuesday afternoon to call me directly...or it gets escalated to the Regional Manager.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All these issues were IN ORIGINAL THE CLEAR COAT or UNDER THE PAINT ITSELF!
Are the hairs on the hood? I only ask because they may have been introduced by the body shop that re-did the hood, if that's where they were.

Depending on the location (panel) and how deep they are, you'll need to decide if it's worth the hassle/risk to remedy them. I had a local shop address some minor damage after a parking lot bump and run, and the local shop managed to put a small hair in the clear when they re-cleared the panel after the actual paint repair. They polished it down as much as they could, but I could still see it (in the right light). Ultimately, if I want them to address it further, I'll have to have them re-spray the entire panel. Given that it was the only noticeable outstanding issue to me (after they smoothed a few clear nibs), I decided not to press my luck - having them re-do it runs the risk of introducing something else, that could end up being more noticeable.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
The tag #FirstWorldProblems isn't even enough to describe this thread. A giant fit over two hairs that were apparently so hard to see that neither the factory, nor the delivery centre, nor the customer at delivery, nor the people working on the hood, nor the professional detailers doing the wrap, saw fit to mention... warrants an angry rant full of CAPITAL LETTERS?

Dude: breathe. Find something better to freak out over. If this is how you live your life, it has to be a pretty miserable one.

And given that many of these cars will be spending their whole lifetime sitting out in hot weather, two weeks in the sun will be doing precisely nothing to your car.

Yes, the communications are sometimes bad, and yes, that's grounds for criticism. But calm down, seriously.

Last edited:

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can write and rant how I want...and clearly, you did not read the entire post.

All issues were noted and photographed by the wrap place. Car went straight from delivery to wrap...and I only had it for around 30 minutes on that day. Wrap place did not inform me of the defects. Had I known, I could have made a decision then.

The anger has nothing to do with the paint. It is the fact that the service center has dragged this on for 5 weeks now.

2 black hairs in the clear coat.
a large bump that is approx the size of a piece of sand under the paint on the front bumper
a large white area on the hood that runs the entire length of the edge of the hood (looks like an issue that happened when the originally re-painted) - probably did not blend correctly
dark spots and bubbles in numerous areas all over the car.

When I pay $65-70K cash for a BRAND NEW car, that is straight from factory, I am not expecting the car to have defects.

When you get yours, hand over $65K and notice your paint defects (defects that are only happening as they are rushing the Model 3)...maybe then give me your opinion and tell me how you feel about it.

Could I live with them...sure...but this isn't a $25K Hyundai, and I was not the one who caused them.

I told Tesla to just fix the 3 major ones - easiest thing to do and so we can be done with it, and THEY insisted that they take care of ALL ISSUES ASAP.

They have been dragging for 5 weeks now. 5 weeks for something that could have been taken care of in a matter of days.

Due to the amount of time, and lack of customer service/communication, I told Tesla 2 weeks ago to forget it...and deal with it WHEN we need to...such as when the wrap comes off in a few years. They said "no", and again insisted that they take care of all issues ASAP.

I have been offering solutions to remedy quickly...they keep delaying.

Makes no sense.

If they simply called me and said, "hey Mike...we are really backed up, and probably cannot get to your car for a few weeks"...and would simply say "great! Let me know the exact day...I'll bring it by then".

The issue is there is NO communication.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
"a large bump that is approx the size of a piece of sand "
*facepalm*

You know that you render every usage of the word "large" from thereon meaningless when you write things like that, don't you?

When I pay $65-70K cash for a BRAND NEW car, that is straight from factory, I am not expecting the car to have defects.
Welcome to reality, where the first step in detailing a car (with any brand) is fixing factory paint defects. Google the term "paint correction". Here's how Forbes describes it:

"You’ve just dropped between $50,000 and $500,000 on a brand new vehicle. You’ve probably spent countless hours researching your new high-end sports car, luxury sedan, SUV or truck, and you’re thrilled to finally have it in your possession. And because it’s new you’ve got that extra-special warm glow inside, knowing it’s in perfectly pristine condition.

Except it’s not. Because the dirty secret lurking within your brand new vehicle’s paint is a vast array of countless scratches that have been dulling the exterior finish since before it left the factory. This is the ugly-yet-unavoidable reality of automotive production, requiring new vehicles be painted, polished and processed quickly, but not necessarily properly.

And if you think you’re car’s immune to this problem because it’s a high-end, limited production model wearing a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls-Royce or other ultra-premium badge, well, you’re wrong. As part of my research for this story I was shown a brand new $200,000 Ferrari California with 80 miles on the odometer. And thousands of scratches in its “brand new” paint."

I can write and rant how I want
And I can think you're being ridiculous and say so. See how this goes both ways? Don't play the "I'm being censored" card just because someone criticized your reaction.

(If this had just been a thread about how Tesla's communications have gotten poor as their network has gotten overwhelmed by the rapid scaleup, BTW, you would have gotten no complaints from me)

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Clearly, I really care about your opinion...soooooooo...happy that you would not be complaining about this thread if it were just about their communication.

Good to know.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Clearly, I really care about your opinion...soooooooo...happy that you would not be complaining about this thread if it were just about their communication.

Good to know.
Who exactly is your audience in this thread? Who are you looking for sympathy from about the fact that you had two apparently almost invisible hairs and a "large" (*cough*) grain-of-sand-sized bump in your paint, and that your car was parked outside, something that apparently makes you want to yell in ALL CAPS?

Again: you've got our sympathy about communications and wait times; it's no secret that the network is overwhelmed. You can either listen to the people who tell you that it will get fixed and none of this will matter.... or not. Your call. But as for everything else...

"Meh". If this is the biggest thing you have in your life to worry about, I hope you know how fortunate you are.

Last edited:

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Certainly not someone with low expectations.

From your previous threads, you plan on driving your Tesla off-road with snow chains.

I am not.

You are expecting to get dings, damage, rock chips, scratches, and rust due to your daily driving habit.

I am not.

People have different expectations. Mine are high... yours are low.

Everyone I know who is involved in this situation is on the same page as me, and agreed they would feel the same way.

In many of your previous threads, you tend to have a habit of talking down to those who have a difference of opinion than yours. I already said my anger is with the lack of communication...not the paint issues as a whole....yet you still seem to want to harp on...what? The fact that one of the numerous issues I mentioned is a large piece of grit under the paint? Or the fact that when I wrote the original post, I should have spent more time talking about the lack of communication?

Maybe you should read take into account that people react differently to various situations...and how you react is not how someone else would.

For example, I would never insult someone publicly in regards my opinion of their "life"...like you did above.

But that is just me.

BlueMeanie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Communication problems plain and simple.

From the way you are responding to KarenRei, I presume the communication issues go both ways (i.e. you and the service advisor). If you are acting entitled, your service advisor may be slowing things down to a crawl just to piss you off more. His job does not depend on your satisfaction.

I don't understand since you live so close to the SC why you don't just go down there, look for your advisor, tell him I'm taking my car and I would like to be told when to return it for repairs to be completed.

It seems really pretty simple. Sure, they should have done a better job communicating from the get go, but they didn't - and now the onus is on you to make the best of it.

harrison987

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
no no...nothing entitled... ;)

I have never been that way.

Where I "do" feel entitled to however, is a phone call or message...open communication...so I know exactly what is going on in order to move forward.

I even told them I could probably borrow a car from a friend instead of the loaner, as the time period is going to be a while. They insisted a loaner.

No communications issues from my end, as I have been an open book from the get-go. They just do not communicate anything to me in terms of what or how we are moving forward...and having this drag on for 5 weeks is not acceptable. If someone had called me and said , "hey man...we are soooo backed up...no way we can get to this for a few weeks..."

No worries...we deal with it then.

Instead, they wanted to get it done ASAP, which then resulted in 4 weeks of not replying to any and all communication, and no reply to messages.

When I was there last month to have the A pillar rectified; the warped interior door panel fixed; and the ink stains removed from the headliner I had constant text communication from them, to keep me up to date with what was going on (this is normal).

This situation is a complete 180.

I called the wrap shop yesterday...they told me Tesla contacted them, and informed them their paint/body shop could not remove the wrap in the areas needed...so the car has to drive 45 min. back to the wrap place so they can remove it, then 45 min. back to Tesla.

Knowing that, I needed them to get in touch with me so I could respond. I simply would have told them, that I could personally go down and do it myself. Makes more sense for me to drive it there to have it removed, than to have them spend 1.5 hours of their own time. It would certainly speed up the process.

Never got that opportunity.

A couple of hours ago, I decided to go down and do exactly what you suggested. Grab the car, and tell them to contact me when they are ready or have the time.

As I was leaving, I checked the GPS, and it turns out it was at the same paint/body shop who said they cannot remove the wrap. So I guess they paint/body shop decided to attempt the removal?

Contradicts what was discussed...which is why I would prefer open communication.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The tag #FirstWorldProblems isn't even enough to describe this thread. A giant fit over two hairs that were apparently so hard to see that neither the factory, nor the delivery centre, nor the customer at delivery, nor the people working on the hood, nor the professional detailers doing the wrap, saw fit to mention... warrants an angry rant full of CAPITAL LETTERS?

Dude: breathe. Find something better to freak out over. If this is how you live your life, it has to be a pretty miserable one.

And given that many of these cars will be spending their whole lifetime sitting out in hot weather, two weeks in the sun will be doing precisely nothing to your car.

Yes, the communications are sometimes bad, and yes, that's grounds for criticism. But calm down, seriously.
ooooohhhhhh........Somebody pass the popcorn. This is getting heated.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just a reminder here people to keep things civil and level-headed. We don’t tolerate name calling or harshness. Remember, this is the internet and emotions don’t come across very well in posts.

If we can’t control threads or people we will exercise our right to close threads and even ban users. Please abide with good behaviour and here’s a reminder of our code on conduct:

http://teslaownersonline.com/threads/rules-policies-disclaimers-for-m3oc-forums.2430/

This thread has been closed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.