Confusing Process. Help Appreciated

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello all! I recently placed my order for my Model 3, and the process has been clunky at best. Completely opposite from what I expected. And I have a few questions. But let me tell my story first if you would let me indulge for just a moment.

I placed my order less than a week ago. After placing my order and choosing financing, I saw the Tesla website said I owed the full amount in cash upon delivery. I used the website to quickly change that to financing. Odd.

Then, about 10 minutes later, I got a call from Tesla, stating they were responding to my call about a solar roof. I did not check any box saying I wanted this on the order. I told the representative no, I did not request a quote for solar, but I did place an order for a Model 3.

He said, "Oh. Um, I'll call you back." He hung up.

About another 15 minutes later he called back saying I would receive a call from someone about home charging for my Model 3 soon.

I never received a call.

Next, I got an email from someone at Tesla saying my delivery is October 20th, only a few days away. But the Tesla website tells me my delivery date is November 3rd.

I reached out to the person who emailed me asking about clarification, especially without a decision on my credit application or having spoken to anyone about home charging.

I just got an email about taking pictures of my electrical box and garage for charging, so I think that's moving along, but I don't think I can take delivery so soon if my date is October 20th, and they still haven't approved my credit application.

Is anyone else going through a bumpy process like me? How long does it typically take them to process a loan application? I've never had this sort of thing take more than a day.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you ordered a RWD version, then indeed, Oct 20 is probably a valid date. I assume that you filled out the credit information on your order. Your credit should be completed soon, it's a background type of thing.
The website tends to give a "computerized" delivery date, but once the humans got hold of it, they evidently found a car that matches your requirements and are ready to get you in it.

Congratulations!

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
That’s crazy fast. I ordered last Friday, haven’t heard anything. In the portal, it says I need to fill out financing paperwork. I called just to be sure that wouldn’t hold up the process, and the Tesla rep said that it’s actually best not to fill out the paperwork until I get a VIN

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did indeed order RWD. I'm not super surprised at how soon the date is, but it feels like there's an order of operations not being followed.

Do they typically give a VIN before approving how you can afford the car?

And I reached out to Tesla and they told me November 3rd is my delivery date. So I asked why my Tesla Rep emailed me saying October 20th, and they were baffled. They said to email him. So I did, but no response. Tesla support even CC'd him in their reply and he's said nothing.

Something feels off. Like they don't do this every day?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
It does seem like Tesla is currently in somewhat of a state of disarray. Our two deliveries went off smoothly but we avoided the financing thing by paying cash. I expect the situation to improve but probably not in time to help you. Either you will be approved for the loan and get the car or not so I wouldn't worry too much.

Nick Momrik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They have no idea what's going on. Yesterday I had 5 people tell me 5 different things about my home delivery and they already have my payment from the bank. It's like none of them know how to read what's in their computer system.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Honestly I don't think that's too bad based on some of the recent reports. Like others have mentioned they are experiencing some growing pains so try to cut them some slack and you'll be very happy soon.

With that said, I got my car before all of this crazyness and the process was amazing all around. Sucks to hear that people are having some issues now, hopefully they work all of this out ASAP...

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just hope they aren't expecting me to show up on October 20 for delivery without having my charging setup complete at home or having my loan approved.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just hope they aren't expecting me to show up on October 20 for delivery without having my charging setup complete at home or having my loan approved.
Unfortunately, Tesla isn't organized enough to be able to guarantee having your charging setup ready. You can probably get by temporarily by charging from a regular 120v outlet if you do get the car beforehand.