Confused about what to do

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi,

My spouse placed his reservation on day two back in 2016. He would not order without test driving. When I realized we were visiting the DC area from Colorado I arranged his test drive. Ten minutes into his drive, I knew he was buying the car. He is a happy man.

When he went to place his order on line, via his already established account, it established a new order. So it looks like there is no preference for him reserving back in 2016. BTW, his delivery is listed as Oct the Dec.

MODEL...LR AWD with the EAP and FSD,
COLOR.. exterior white with Interior black
Wheels standard. Delivery is listed as Oct to Dec.

He did call and they said it did not make any difference if the reservation was not tied to the order. But that doesn’t sound right. After reading all the threads I remain confused. Any help is appreciated.

And since he listed me as a co owner, I figured I could ask the question. Thanks in advance for your help.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am not familiar with how the new order status page is setup. Does it show that you have paid the $1k reservation and $2.5k order deposit? If so, then I would think that it is linked to your reservation.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It shows the original reservation with a number and directly below, a new order with a new number. Interestingly, they are sending the reservation deposit of 1000 USD back. Also, no trade in, just sold his correct car yesterday and no financing. Neither of which I would think have anything to do with it.

Thanks

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Was he supposed to get the 1000 back. I thought it would be used against the purchase of the M3. By sending it back, it seemed like it meant the original reservation and the new order are not linked. Thanks for any feedback

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Was he supposed to get the 1000 back. I thought it would be used against the purchase of the M3. By sending it back, it seemed like it meant the original reservation and the new order are not linked. Thanks for any feedback
They are not linked but, based on the timeline you were given and what Tesla told you, it does not matter if you have a reservation or not at this point.

EDIT: Reading else where, it may matter for AWD since there is a backlog.

Last edited:

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK, it sounds like when you finally went in to place an order, you all just clicked on “order” and started a new order, instead of going in to your previous reservation and exercising it. That is why you have two transactions showing. You didn’t use your previous reservation, so that deposit needs to be accounted for. They are telling you they cannot just transfer it over to the new transaction as they are separate. You COULD cancel the second order you just placed, and work with them to get that $2500 back, then exercise the old reservation and put the $2500 back down on that one. Or just continue with the new order you have, cancel the old reservation, and get that $1000 back. Either way, your timeline will probably be about the same. I think it would be easier just to cancel the old reservation at this point.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Basically the configurator is now wide open so those that “held their spot” have no real advantage right now. It’s odd that it’s a new order, but as long as your $1,000 is returned I do not think there is anything to worry about.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have to agree with @Dogwhistle , sounds like perhaps he clicked on configure and left the reservation sitting there untouched. Tesla has updated these screens and processes the last week so what happened could be the norm but I wouldn’t think so.

Word is that If you have a reservation it should still get you to the front over someone just walking in off the street. I think that will be a big deal when short range is released. I think there are a lot of people still sitting on that reservation that hope to configure and buy before it is opened to the masses.

I have a second reservation I made a couple of months ago. It is stil there and to configure and the first thing I do is click on that reservation number to get in to the configurator. I play with the configurator every few days and it is tied to that reservation.

Again it could have changed but really wondering if he didn’t go straight into the configurator without clicking in the “Manage” button for his reservation.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
AWD? Reservations do still matter for those (depending on location) in my observation. I'm not sure how your order date would compare with other reservation holders who've already ordered, though.

You'll of course still get the car, but maybe not as soon if it were tied to a reservation. More time to save for your down payment.

Last edited:

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know of someone who never had a reservation, lives 30 miles from me, ordered a car in early July, had it 6 days later. Two weeks before me and my reservation was there over two years.

The only difference was color. Maybe the car was destined for my area and the original buyer backed out and the guy was just lucky. I can't imagine no one else with a reservation was waiting for that color/config (RWD, silver, AEP, 19" sport wheels) but who knows. It shows that new comers can get cars very quickly. Assuming its not SR.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi,

My spouse placed his reservation on day two back in 2016. He would not order without test driving. When I realized we were visiting the DC area from Colorado I arranged his test drive. Ten minutes into his drive, I knew he was buying the car. He is a happy man.

When he went to place his order on line, via his already established account, it established a new order. So it looks like there is no preference for him reserving back in 2016. BTW, his delivery is listed as Oct the Dec.

He did call and they said it did not make any difference if the reservation was not tied to the order. But that doesn’t sound right. After reading all the threads I remain confused. Any help is appreciated.

And since he listed me as a co owner, I figured I could ask the question. Thanks in advance for your help.
Since you did not configure a car when the configuration first became available, you probably lost most of the priority that you had by reserving back in 2016. Yes, I know it may not seem fair, but remember, there are a LOT of people in front of you who DID order when the option became available, they would not feel it is fair if you waited for 2 months to order.

Just about EVERYBODY who has a Model 3 today ordered it before they could test drive. There are probably less than 5% who had an opportunity to drive before purchasing. I know that I didn't have that option, unless I wanted to lose my place in line.

I suspect that your priority in line does exist, but it is behind a lot of people who, also reserved on first day, ordered when ordering became available.

There are a lot of people with the same time range that you have. There are a LOT of people who would love to have that time range. All of the Standard Battery folks are still behind you.

If you want a car today, change to RWD and you probably can get one very quickly, but as long as you stay AWD, there's a long queue.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi,

does his mytesla page show he has paid $2500 or $3500 to date? if $3500, then it did build off his existing reservation and that will be taken into account. Those of us who reserved an AWD 6/27 (when it first opened to those reservations following March 31, 2016) have Sept-Nov timeframes and got our orders in nearly 2 months ago, so his only being out one additional month does not seem out of line with what I would expect. (also the delivery estimates are just that. Some ordered on June 27 and had the same Sept-Nov and had the call for delivery in less than a week (RWD people) and some AWDs from March 31st reservation holders also were listed as Sept-Nov and have already received their cars.... so after 2+ years, what is a month?