[Confirmed] Model 3 key fob is coming!

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Without a doubt this is for the Model 3. Canadian Model 3s have been unable to use Summon due to their laws. The bluetooth low energy (BLE) will allow it to be used with all of the Model 3s already made. Question will be how they solve battery life issue?

My guess:

It will be standard in Canadian cars an optional accessory for U.S. cars.

I'm guessing it will have a rechargeable, replaceable battery like AAA and be wirelessly chargeable every 2-4 wks.

On my wish list would be that this could charge on any Qi charger and Tesla will release their own wireless charging pad

jsmay311

Country
Country
Question will be how they solve battery life issue?

[...] I'm guessing it will have a rechargeable, replaceable battery like AAA and be wirelessly chargeable every 2-4 wks.

On my wish list would be that this could charge on any Qi charger and Tesla will release their own wireless charging pad
Wha??? :eek: Do Model X fobs not have reasonable battery life???

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Wha??? :eek: Do Model X fobs not have reasonable battery life???
Model S/X keyfobs are short range standard frequency transmitters like most car keyfobs. A bluetooth keyfob like what is needed on the Model 3 will use more energy. Similar to the Bluetooth remote control on my Samsung TV that constantly needs new batteries.

96s46p

Country
Country
Model S/X keyfobs are short range standard frequency transmitters like most car keyfobs. A bluetooth keyfob like what is needed on the Model 3 will use more energy. Similar to the Bluetooth remote control on my Samsung TV that constantly needs new batteries.
Not sure what is wrong with your remote, but ble item trackers last 6-12mo on a coin cell and I've never replaced the battery in my firetv remote.

jsmay311

Country
Country
Model S/X keyfobs are short range standard frequency transmitters like most car keyfobs.
Pretty sure that’s not true for the X. If you search online you find tons of references about the X using a Bluetooth/BLE fob. (Although, curiously I can't find any official statement from Tesla about it.)

And I thought newer S’s also now use a Bluetooth fob, but I’m not certain about that and I’m having trouble finding corroborating info online.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Pretty sure that’s not true for the X. If you search online you find tons of references about the X using a Bluetooth/BLE fob. (Although, curiously I can't find any official statement from Tesla about it.)

And I thought newer S’s also now use a Bluetooth fob, but I’m not certain about that and I’m having trouble finding corroborating info online.
@jsmay311 is absolutely correct. The current S/X transmitters are 2.4 GHz with BLE also. Here is the FCC ID application from 2015.
https://fccid.io/2AEIM-1048598

IIRC the button battery in my keyfob lasted about 6-9 months before I started getting an alert to change the battery.

Knowing that the current S/X transmitters are similar to the new FCC application, maybe this application is an updated keyfob for the S/X and not the promised keyfob for the Model 3?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There's no way it's going to use AAAs. I swear, those batteries need to go away.

Think of it like a bluetooth locator like Tile (in fact, it should be pretty much identical, plus an extra button or two). The tiny batteries in those last more than a year.
Or maybe it will be rechargeable Li-Ion. I'm thinking of my AppleTV remote which needs a charge once every 4-5 months and is charged in 10 minutes.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Interestingly, I was comparing the two FCC applications and the X keyfob power output is 0.00748 watts whereas the new keyfob is 0.0038 watts. Assuming efficiency is the same, the battery should last a lot longer.

After 9/20/18, the photos will be viewable and we can see exactly what it looks like and get a better idea which car it's for.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The main difference between the BT locators and the keyfob is that the keyfob is used MUCH more and will drain the battery faster.
Why would it be used any more? The tile is pinged ever few minutes. The car can transmit a signal to activate the listening fob instead of vice-versa just like EZPass.
It's nothing new...most other manufacturers have comfort access fobs and the button batteries last 1-2 years.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
has it been registered with IC also? (do those show publicly?) the FCC filing would only apply to USA models.
FWIW: The 2015 FCC registration was and
FCC 2AEIM-1048598
IC 20098-1048598
Both are publicly viewable.

Using the same nomenclature, I tried to search the new
2AEIM-1133148
as IC 20098-1133148 and I didn't get any hits.

Diamond.g

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why would it be used any more? The tile is pinged ever few minutes. The car can transmit a signal to activate the listening fob instead of vice-versa just like EZPass.
It's nothing new...most other manufacturers have comfort access fobs and the button batteries last 1-2 years.
From what I have seen at TMC the X fob is quite chatty when in range of the vehicle. Not sure if that is still the case though. Haven’t lurked that forum in a while.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Since it is all just speculation I figure they will either give at least one to everyone with a car, or it'll be at a price that is close to cost, maybe $25 or so? Or maybe they don't give them away, but even though I'm happy with just the phone, since they've had enough backlash and request for a fob, there will be mutiny if they try to charge $150 to $200 fo it. It should come in at a pretty reasonable price.