CONFIRMED - Change from Alcantara to cloth on PUP??.

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve been trying to track down the color of the new fabric and I think we can now say it’s light grey just like the previous.

Yeah, with those pictures it's definitely confirmed. Grey.

$ Trillion Musk

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Looks really decent for a $35k base priced car. I think I'll be happy with the new headliner material.

The black headliner in Kman's Model S P100D video looked quite good btw.

MGallo

J.A.R.V.I.S. is awesome!
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would love black too but I think it would be more difficult. There are a lot of plastics in the interior that are grey that wouldn't match. Plus the speaker grills in the A pillars are also grey. If you switched it out you would have to either paint or buy parts in black (if they ever become available). You can't really paint the middle front plastic piece on the roof because it has the hazard button with an illuminated icon on it. The seat belt positioners would also be difficult to get right painted because they move up and down which would scratch the paint off over time and I don't know if you could disassemble them enough to paint the sliding part.

I looked into this on my Infiniti M56S and this post is exactly right. You have replace too many things or paint them and the paint will come off the plastic on things you touch all the time. I think they quoted me about $1700. That was back in MN. Of course, two years after I bought mine the Sport came standard with all black interior (meaning headliner, pillars, visors, etc.).

I have also always wanted Alcantara and I was super psyched to finally be getting it. I'm an Elon fan (just finished reading the book), shareholder and 2x reservation hold (day 0 line stander), but right now I'm feeling tricked and I'm thinking I'll put both my reservations on hold. Maybe that will change tomorrow, but I just caught wind of this story and still haven't processed it. Still in the denial stage. I think I'd have to see it. I have seen the Alcantara (see profile picture) and daddy want. That said, offering the premium textile in black might assuage some of my disappointment. I really want AWD too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Groovykool

HumanGenome

Country
Country
Just took delivery of 3454 today and got the textile headliner. Was not expecting much but was blown away by how much I like it. It is clean and soft to the touch (but not soft like the cheap all cloth Subaru uses that pressss in really deep)

This basically erases any doubt I had about the quality and attractiveness. I choose my words carefully because I still am unhappy with the communcation but I think the quality argument is moot.

Pics!

Reactions: 9 people

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just took delivery of 3454 today and got the textile headliner. Was not expecting much but was blown away by how much I like it. It is clean and soft to the touch (but not soft like the cheap all cloth Subaru uses that pressss in really deep)

This basically erases any doubt I had about the quality and attractiveness. I choose my words carefully because I still am unhappy with the communcation but I think the quality argument is moot.

Pics!
What’s that photo of the last seatbelt? It seems like a different closure than the regular B pillar seatbelt attachment point in an earlier photo. Btw nice color choice!;)

$ Trillion Musk

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Did I just see a portion of the textile seat in photo #8? @HumanGenome did you order the base Model 3 without PUP?

More interior pictures of the seats, roof and center console please!

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
What’s that photo of the last seatbelt? It seems like a different closure than the regular B pillar seatbelt attachment point in an earlier photo. Btw nice color choice!;)

Did I just see a portion of the textile seat in photo #8? @HumanGenome did you order the base Model 3 without PUP?

More interior pictures of the seats, roof and center console please!

The last pic isn’t a Tesla. Look at the door release handle.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
It's beige!
It's grey!
It's beige!
It's grey!

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Lost in the shuffle with headliner-gate, does anyone know if the inserts on the doors are still alcantara? I can deal with the headliner and visors, but the door inserts now you’ve gone too far :eek:

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well thank god!
Don't get too excited we don't know what kind of changes Tesla plans to make between now and when you take delivery. Forest Gump said it best.... My mom always said Teslas are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.”

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I looked into this on my Infiniti M56S and this post is exactly right. You have replace too many things or paint them and the paint will come off the plastic on things you touch all the time. I think they quoted me about $1700. That was back in MN. Of course, two years after I bought mine the Sport came standard with all black interior (meaning headliner, pillars, visors, etc.).

I have also always wanted Alcantara and I was super psyched to finally be getting it. I'm an Elon fan (just finished reading the book), shareholder and 2x reservation hold (day 0 line stander), but right now I'm feeling tricked and I'm thinking I'll put both my reservations on hold. Maybe that will change tomorrow, but I just caught wind of this story and still haven't processed it. Still in the denial stage. I think I'd have to see it. I have seen the Alcantara (see profile picture) and daddy want. That said, offering the premium textile in black might assuage some of my disappointment. I really want AWD too.

Having a black or grey on the Model 3 is no different than than having a dark or light headliner on the S or X. Both are available and with both all the little plastic ‘bits’ are either dark or light. Visor clips, dome light surrounds, seat belt shoulder points etc. Let’s just hope both colors are available as ‘factory’ options’ as they are with S and X. Not holding my breath at the 3 price point.

Last edited:

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country

Drive the car. You won't care about the ceiling. Trust me on that one.

Reactions: 1 person

kendthomp

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I stopped by the Littleton, CO lot today and looked at vin#3060. It had the grey cloth headliner and dark Alcantara inserts in the doors. It looked fine to me.

nameless

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
Personally, I don't care about alcantara per se, but I don't see how Tesla could possibly cover the headliner and pillars with burlap and then have the cojones to claim that it's a "premium material". I'm pretty sure I had this fabric in door inserts in my 2002 Toyota Corolla (base model, $12k+tax OTD.) What's next, are they going to switch the dashboard from wood to vinyl and then rebuff all criticism with "but it's a premium vinyl!"?

And it's even worse if, as some owners now report, you get e.g. burlap headliner and alcantara pillars. At least have the decency to make it one material throughout.

HumanGenome

Country
Country
Posted this in another thread but will post the same thing here -

Yeah I was saying that overall the headliner was a lot nicer than the Subaru's (that is a Subaru pictured)

The picture is actually added by mistake but was a comparison of the Subaru b pillar which actually looks quite nice. The roof textile on the Subaru is very cushy and make it seem cheap. Model 3 has the same hard textile material without padding throughout.

Did a short video showing the textile interior:

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people

$ Trillion Musk

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
The one thing I get OCD about alcantara is the need to brush it in one direction to remove any smudges or fingerprints. This new material looks cleaner than alcantara.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.