CONFIRMED - Change from Alcantara to cloth on PUP??.

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I think the vacuum analogy may be a little problematic because you're talking about a pre-release demo vacuum and if you didn't ask which specs were already finalized and just assumed chrome was the default, you can't claim bait and switch because they never explicitly said the material you saw would be the final product. (...).

You tried your friend's black vacuum, decided you love it, and ordered the same model. Now, the electrical cord on your friend's vacuum is blue, but the manufacturer ran out of blue cords, so they swapped to red. Now, the vacuum is 100% exactly the same as your friend's (...)
Suggest we leave the vacuum cleaner analogy aside... @Maevra, in your variant you’re just talking about color change which is different than material. We’d have to say, the cable was first made of an elastomer alloy and not it’s soft PVC...
I like @ummgood ’s last paragraph above as perspective...
people are using other car manufacturers as a measuring stick and the alcantara or suede is considered more upscale across the board in car brands than the textile interior.
Unquote
Therefore, with an attempt, again, at wrapping this up :rainbow::
- this was poorly managed in terms of communication mainly
- best would have been not to build any Model 3 with Alcantara since they were planning the switch across the range
- we can all be disappointed yet it’s not the end of the world now we know, if we haven’t ordered yet.
- for those who have ordered, thinking they’d get the Alcantara headliner like everybody else before them part of the PUP, and who then get textile cloth headliner (perceived by most as inferior, to ummgood’s point and I concur), there should be a small compensation by T≡SLA...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
OMG! How serious do a lot of you take this headliner!
All this because Tesla changed it without warning to a different material without price change? Where we previously didn't order / desire the so called superior 'premium' alcantara at all, but got it as a package? And where we also already knew that Tesla products tend to change at a moments notice? For better or for worse. Before and after ordering. That's part of the deal.
If this alcantara headliner is that important to you, don't buy the car, or wait till the non-PUP version is available... Pfffft!

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well hopefully when they build your car in 2020 they'll change the PUP seats to "Premium" cloth since you have no issues with bait-and-switch sales tactics. Take what you can get right...as long as it has a "T" on the hood? :tearsofjoy:
No, I buy or don't buy what's offered to me at the moment that I buy.
Price and properties may always be different from those of the year / month/ week / day / hour / minute before or after. That's life.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can’t believe people don’t respect or attempt to understand that others feel differently than them, sadly my “ignore” list has grown today. :(

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Suggest we leave the vacuum cleaner analogy aside... @Maevra, in your variant you’re just talking about color change which is different than material. We’d have to say, the cable was first made of an elastomer alloy and not it’s soft PVC...
I like @ummgood ’s last paragraph above as perspective...
people are using other car manufacturers as a measuring stick and the alcantara or suede is considered more upscale across the board in car brands than the textile interior.
Unquote
Therefore, with an attempt, again, at wrapping this up :rainbow::
- this was poorly managed in terms of communication mainly
- best would have been not to build any Model 3 with Alcantara since they were planning the switch across the range
- we can all be disappointed yet it’s not the end of the world now we know, if we haven’t ordered yet.
- for those who have ordered, thinking they’d get the Alcantara headliner like everybody else before them part of the PUP, and who then get textile cloth headliner (perceived by most as inferior, to ummgood’s point and I concur), there should be a small compensation by T≡SLA...
Good summary! At the end of the day, the source of the frustration is really about the communication and sadly Tesla tripped themselves up by not having voluntarily disclosed the update sooner.

Now question is... with textile being the "new premium", what exactly are folks getting with the standard interior? (Maybe that should be another thread though.)

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Good summary! At the end of the day, the source of the frustration is really about the communication and sadly Tesla tripped themselves up by not having voluntarily disclosed the update sooner.

Now question is... with textile being the "new premium", what exactly are folks getting with the standard interior? (Maybe that should be another thread though.)
Thanks. Indeed that is the problem and I genuinely hope they’ll learn from these mistakes...

Suggest we don’t spend too much time agonizing about what non-PUP headliner will be at this point. May not even be different or a slightly less ‘noble’ fabric/textile.

Otherwise I could have surmised Saran Wrap... :D

Reactions: 2 people

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
No, I buy or don't buy what's offered to me at the moment that I buy.
Price and properties may always be different from those of the year / month/ week / day / hour / minute before or after. That's life.
One last post for me on this topic. That’s just it, Michel, some folks did buy what they thought was offered and will get something else. That is my 4th point above and T≡SLA needs at least to address those transition cases appropriately.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Sorry about the bad vacuum analogy. I also saw the new photos of the headliner on twitter and it isn't as bad as I thought but still would have preferred the alcantara. It won't effect my decision to buy but I still think that Tesla didn't provide what they were advertising to people who put in an order before the change and got the changed headliner.

Vendacious

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

My guess is that the standard interior will have the same exact headliner and that the only differences will be the seat material and the wood trim on the dash.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Can’t believe people don’t respect or attempt to understand that others feel differently than them, sadly my “ignore” list has grown today. :(

Or why they continue to comment on a feature they obviously don't care about.

Two kinds of people when it comes to cars, ones who know what they want and others who take what they can get because they are told they should like it. :rolleyes:

#AlcantaraGate

Last edited:

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey guys, looks like the new headliner is on display at the Palo Alto showroom. Some decent pics posted to Twitter:

OK, so these picture make it look more gray than beige, although it does appear to be a very light gray.

I haven't heard a description of the color from someone who has seen it in person so I'm still not sure, but I think this color is much better then the beige I originally thought it was.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I saw the fabric today. Looked great. Matches the visors (which are still fuzzy). The door panels are still a darker Alcantara.

Reactions: 5 people

emolas

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When I reserved Model3, I thought Model3 has cloth headliner.
So When I knew Model3 has Alcantara (or such), I felt so happy.
But after that the material was changed to cloth.
This is like "From heaven to hell" for me.
If not from the beginning, I would not have felt so.
I will not cancel my model3 this time.
However I think Tesla ought to understand people who think like me.
No matter how good the new material of the cloth is.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hey guys, looks like the new headliner is on display at the Palo Alto showroom. Some decent pics posted to Twitter:

I will say this... it looks a heck of a lot better from the driver's actual seating position than it does from half an inch away with terrible lighting!

roflwaffle

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I saw the fabric today. Looked great. Matches the visors (which are still fuzzy). The door panels are still a darker Alcantara.
Hopefully they'll have that sorted by the time I order. All Alcantara is OK, all premium textile is probably OK, mixing the two ain't OK.

$ Trillion Musk

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
On a side note... what the heck is going on from the supplier side that they would lose major business with Tesla right before a mass rollout? Sorry I haven’t read the news but something doesn’t sound right.

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
IMO: I think Alcantara looks better. Given a choice I would take Alcantara over cloth.

(credit: nowyouknow)

Attachments

• TM3.png
    TM3.png
    472.7 KB · Views: 118

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
OK, so these picture make it look more gray than beige, although it does appear to be a very light gray.

Brett, I’ve been trying to track down the color of the new fabric and I think we can now say it’s light grey just like the previous. Ant change would have necessitated changing all the plastic bits to a different color as well. I do, however, hope that the white interior has this fabric in black. I think the black/white contrast looks stunning on the S/X. However at the 3 price point I wouldn’t be surprised if the grey is the only headliner color. Black, black and grey. White, black and grey. (Being seats, carpet and headliners)

D4E32ABF-5E10-4556-A9F0-6F18B4DFE313.jpeg

8630D1CB-AD60-414A-B270-384825AAE1A2.jpeg

FCCEE20E-89FE-488E-8783-E904F5511F5C.jpeg

490FD0F9-8F25-4AB6-B2EB-6D6DCC31C99E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.