Configuring now with unlocked software later

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

rnbows

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hello all,

OK, i'm a newbie and this is my first post. I reserved a M3 all the way back in July of '17.

Now, my questions. It is my understanding that like the MS one could have paid for the FSD option at configure but obviously it won't be activated until it's approved by the Feds. I've also read that one could buy that option later but it's an approximate $1000 upcharge. The original option was the discount for ordering it early. OK, good. Is it the general consensus that this is going to be the way the M3 goes?

Which brings up the second question. Since the M3 has the same hardware config that the newer MS has, complete with EAP, is the EAP option something that can be unlocked later, again for a premium price point?

I'm not sure I need EAP now (well, in late '18/early '19 when I actually get it) but it would be interesting to perhaps unlock it later, after I've driven it a while.

Thanks and cheers.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the reservation! We actually have another thread going on the same topic.

While we don't have the specifics I think it's safe to assume $5k for EAP + $3k for FSD at delivery and if you do it after the fact it will be $6k and $4k.

Things are always subject to change with Tesla though so hold on to your seat!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One interesting thing I noticed is that it seems your nonrefundable deposit when you order is $3,500 since the form is asking for an additional $2,500 payment.
I plan on putting down $5,000 on top of the $1,000 from the reservation, so I guess it's nice to break it up into two $2,500 chunks!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I plan on putting down $5,000 on top of the $1,000 from the reservation, so I guess it's nice to break it up into two $2,500 chunks!
my impression was the order deposit ($2500) and the reservation deposit ($1000) would not count against the down payment of $5000 - so you should probably be prepared for the worst and have that extra $2500 ready.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my impression was the order deposit ($2500) and the reservation deposit ($1000) would not count against the down payment of $5000 - so you should probably be prepared for the worst and have that extra $2500 ready.
That was what I meant.

$6,000 total.

$1,000 from the reservation and then $2,500 x 2.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the (minimum) will be:
$1000 reservation
$2500 order
$5000 pickup downpayment
$8500 total

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
exactly, and Tesla's financing requires an additional $5k at that time. I imagine most other options for a $50-60,000 vehicle loan will be at least $5000
You may be right. It's ok whatever it is. My goal was to put down $6,000 total, but if it has to be $8,500 that will be alright too.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
exactly, and Tesla's financing requires an additional $5k at that time. I imagine most other options for a $50-60,000 vehicle loan will be at least $5000
The other Tesla specific difference from other auto makers is the requirement to pay the taxes up front. Other automakers will finance the entire 'out the door price' to move vehicle volume. So $8500 plus your state/provincial tax and surcharges if any.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The other Tesla specific difference from other auto makers is the requirement to pay the taxes up front. Other automakers will finance the entire 'out the door price' to move vehicle volume. So $8500 plus your state/provincial tax and surcharges if any.
So now I'm putting down over $11k?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Guys this isn't accurate. Go pretend you're ordering Model S. Click on financing. Notice there is a link "max". You can roll everything in just like any other auto loan.

img_1943-png.2755

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
the financing (or what is or isn't) could be a state to state regulation too.
You may be right about that. I've always just put down whatever was mutually agreed upon, but I've never had requirements of taxes and fees being paid outside of the loan.