Confession: I need an ICE vehicle.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As I posted here a little while ago (I'm going car shopping tomorrow), I recently bought a Hyundai Tucson. I had thought about going all-electric with my vehicles. Maybe get a CPO Model S in addition to the 3, plus keep the Leaf for when my youngest son starts to drive later this year. But I just couldn't do it. I decided I needed to keep one gasoline car around. Sure, living with the Leaf for the past 6 years has given me a nice case of range anxiety, but that's not the reason. No, the deal-hunter in me has a reason that I just can't ignore.

My gasoline is free.

Yes, it costs me less to run my gas car than it does to run my electric car. Yes, I realize that this is not normal. So how did I end up in this situation? It goes something like this:
  • My AMEX credit card gives 5% cash back on grocery store purchases.
  • My grocery store sells gift cards, including for Amazon where we do most of our shopping.
  • My grocery store gives 10¢ off per gallon of gas for every $50 you spend (details).
  • The grocery store often runs "double fuelperks" promotions where they give you 20¢ off per gallon for every $50 spent.
To maximize our cash-back, we buy Amazon gift cards, and use those for all of our Amazon purchases. Because of the credit card, we basically get them at a 5% discount. Then on top of that, we end up getting free fuel. They limit you to 30 gallons at those discounted rates, but I just take a bunch of 5 gallon gas cans with me when I go to fill up. The only time I actually end up paying for gas is when we go on a road trip.

I guess at some point in the future, these programs will end. Electric vehicles are going to become too popular to sustain them. At that point, maybe I can finally get rid of my last gas-powered car.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m missing something. I don’t see how a few cents discount per gallon equals free fuel.
Yeah, I didn't really connect the dots completely.

I get 10-20¢ off per gallon for every $50 I spend. Between actually buying groceries, and buying various gift cards, I'll easily spend $1000-$2000/month, which gives me $2-$4 off per gallon. Once my dollars-off total reaches the current price of gas (current about $3), then my gas is free.

Dogwhistle

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah, I see. I guess a couple of Jacksons of free Dino-juice is nice, in that fairly convoluted way, but I don’t think that would convince me to keep a carbon-converter around. It seems similar to a deal for getting free cigarettes or free opioids. To each his own!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think my local grocery saw this coming and they offer .10 per $100 and limit the per gal discount to $1.00. So you never will get fuel for free.

@garsh - maybe pair up with a relative/friend/neighbor that could use your fuel credits. My sister and her MIL use the same number because one spends more on grocery and the other drives more.

Jayc

Country
Country
Get yourself a used prius prime @garsh - case closed. The eco car look shouldn't be a showstopper for you I assume or else you wouldn't be driving a Leaf :) . The Prime has the best of both worlds. You will probably find it drives just like or better than your leaf but with no range anxiety.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@garsh - maybe pair up with a relative/friend/neighbor that could use your fuel credits. My sister and her MIL use the same number because one spends more on grocery and the other drives more.
We actually considered that. Sent out some feelers to relatives who we thought might be willing to deal with filling gas cans. But nobody was really interested.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We actually considered that. Sent out some feelers to relatives who we thought might be willing to deal with filling gas cans. But nobody was really interested.
not in the filling gas cans, no... but don't you have someone who could use a free fillup a couple times a week? for that matter, you could just do random good deeds and if you are on your way past the fuel station and see some college age broke kid getting ready to pull up to the pump, you can offer to use your code to save them a chunk of cash

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was at the store the other day with a family member when they were offered a credit card through the stores preferred bank. It offered 4% cash back at most stations. I realized that the appeal of such programs is now gone, for me.

Now if I can only get my utility to give me cash back ;)

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I guess you could trade in the Leaf for used Excursion, that might “help”. Man, talk about incentivizing a negative behavior, not a fan of this program!
Yeah, my statement was a bit flippant. The wife wanted a small SUV, so that's what I got for her. It's got a little 1.6l turbo engine, so it's fairly efficient - better than the minivan I got rid of.

Maybe in 5 years or so, the grocery store will end this perk, and the Model Y and other small SUV competitors will be available, and it will be time for me to get rid of my last ICE.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
The one and only time I truly wished I had an ICE car was when my sister had a dead battery and needed a jump. I know Tesla has a 12v somewhere but I’m not sure where it is and if it’s strong enough to jump the battery on an ICE.

Instead, I brought an electric battery charger with a “jump” setting and a long extension cord since she was stuck at the gas station. Anyone know if a Tesla can jump an ICE? The Y is rumored to not even have the 12v battery.

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The one and only time I truly wished I had an ICE car was when my sister had a dead battery and needed a jump. I know Tesla has a 12v somewhere but I’m not sure where it is and if it’s strong enough to jump the battery on an ICE.

Instead, I brought an electric battery charger with a “jump” setting and a long extension cord since she was stuck at the gas station. Anyone know if a Tesla can jump an ICE? The Y is rumored to not even have the 12v battery.
I bought something like this a few years ago and it's worked great. Way easier then the old method since you don't have to try and get the cars close together. I'll probably keep carrying it in my Model 3 because since I've had this, it's never been my car that needed the jump.

Akilae

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

My (Opel) Dealership told me that i must not jumpstart other ICEs with my Opel Astra because it could damage the board electronics. My Astra is from 2012 with a very low amout of electronics ;). I definatly would not risk that on my Tesla.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
I've had four years of a stench free garage, never going back to that now.
I got a good price in trade for my Leaf as well which made it even better.
We still have my wife's Honda CRV though, my wife is waiting for a either a cheap CPO Model X or the Model Y when it lands.
For her a tank of gas lasts just under two weeks.