Condo Charging Stations

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
In anticipation of my Model 3, I recently inquired about getting an EV charging station installed in my condo parking garage.

I was informed that commencing May 1 the province is implementing new changes for electrical vehicles in condos, at which point they will revisit my request.

I decided to do a little more digging and found the following regulation: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r18114

It basically lists out all the requirements that must be met in order to get a charger installed in a condo.

Below is a little overview of what can be found in the document above.

TLDR: I want to install an EV Charger in my condo. there are new laws coming into affect May 1st (which should make it easier). If the installation+Operating costs are less than 10% of the Condo's budget, and doesn't infringe on enjoyment of public space, then the board can proceed with the installation in 2 months. If these conditions are not met, you have to make your case to your condo board.

=======================================================================================

In some cases, a condominium board will have the right to install an electric vehicle charging station at the condominium’s expense (and owners won’t have any right to requisition a meeting to consider the installation). This will apply if:

1. The board has determined that the estimated cost of the installation (excluding post-installation / operating costs) will not be greater than 10 per cent of the condominium’s annual budget; and

2. In the reasonable opinion of the board, the owners would not regard the installation as causing a material reduction or elimination of their use or enjoyment of the condominium property.

If these conditions are met, the board could provide notice to the owners (including details of the above two conditions), and then the board could proceed with the installation 60 days after providing the notice.

In other cases – where either of the above two conditions are not satisfied – the 60 day notice to the owners would need to include an opportunity for the owners to requisition a meeting to consider the proposed installation. In other words, if either of the above two conditions are not satisfied, owners would have an opportunity (by requisitioning a meeting) to challenge the Board’s proposed installation of an electric vehicle charging station.

New procedures will also apply to owners who wish to install charging station(s) (at the owner’s expense) at a condominium. In particular:

• The board would be required to respond to an owner’s request or application (to install a charging station) within 60 days.

• The board could only reject an application based on the opinion of an expert (such as an engineer) that the installation would:

• Be contrary to the requirements of a statute or regulation;

• Adversely affect the structural integrity of the condominium property or assets of the corporation; or

• Pose a serious health and safety risk to an individual or a serious risk of damage to the condominium property or assets of the corporation.

• If and when the board accepts the owner’s application (subject to any permitted conditions), the parties must enter into an installation agreement. Among other things, the agreement could say that the owner is responsible for all reasonable costs to carry out the requested installation.

• Responsibility for other costs (such as the cost to prepare and register the agreement) could be subject to negotiation between the corporation and the owner.

• Any disagreements between an owner and a condominium corporation would be resolved via mediation and arbitration.

Another point to be aware of is that the status certificate form has been updated to reflect the new regulations respecting charging stations. As of May 1, 2018, condominiums will be required to use the new status certificate form which has been amended to reference the new regulations respecting electric vehicle charging stations. The changes to the form are found in:

• Paragraph 23 (dealing with modifications to common elements) – The changes made reference the agreement to be entered into by an owner that installs an electric vehicle charging station; and

• Paragraph 25 (respecting changes to the common elements) – The changes made relate to a proposed installation of an electric vehicle charging station.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I live in a condo complex in Oakville, 3 buildings and have been successful in having the 3 buildings agree to install an initial 2 EV charging stations in the underground garage area in visitor parking spaces. The installation will be complete by August 31, 2018. Level 2 chargers.
It is quite an involved process having to receive approval from 3 different Board of directors and then the approval,of the Shared Facilities board.

TOFLYIN

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am on a the Board of my condo and we are now getting quotes to install up to 48 chargers. First let me say that it is not cheap in most cases. I installed a charger in my last condo parking spot (also downtown Toronto) as a lone install. Total cost was almost $5K. I lucked out as Toronto Hydro and Ontario Hydro both paid for part as I participated in a study of EV charging time requirements. Ended up costing my $1500 out of pocket. The biggest problem is the metering. You will require a meter and that cost to install, plus sometimes the hydro company charges a minimum cost per meter per month even if you don't use it. It is true that the new law means that the condo board has to allow the install unless they can show cause. But they don't have to pay for it. If you are wanting to install in your own parking spot they can't stop you. But you will have to pay for the entire cost of the connection, metering, and the cable run which can get long and expensive especially if they have to core to drop through parking levels. We are taking a different tact at my building. The building will pay to have 2 transformers (one on each side of the parking to reduce cable run length), and to install metering and distribution panels. These panels keep track of usage and each install will be charged for the electricity they use. They also allow for more charger installs per panel. Normally a 200A panel is good for 5 chargers (32 A each require a 40 A breaker). But the new smart panels reduce the amperage to each charger is demand (# of cars actively charging) exceed 5. It is possible to have 12 chargers on a single 200 A panel this way, and really how many times will more than 5 be charging at a time? The building will then charge each person requesting an install 1/48th of the cost of these panels thereby recouping the cost and keeping the non-EV owners happy. Each person installing also pays for the cabling and the charger install. I estimate that the cost will be between $3500 and $4500 per depending on the distance from the transformers.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I am on a the Board of my condo and we are now getting quotes to install up to 48 chargers. First let me say that it is not cheap in most cases. I installed a charger in my last condo parking spot (also downtown Toronto) as a lone install. Total cost was almost $5K. I lucked out as Toronto Hydro and Ontario Hydro both paid for part as I participated in a study of EV charging time requirements. Ended up costing my $1500 out of pocket. The biggest problem is the metering. You will require a meter and that cost to install, plus sometimes the hydro company charges a minimum cost per meter per month even if you don't use it. It is true that the new law means that the condo board has to allow the install unless they can show cause. But they don't have to pay for it. If you are wanting to install in your own parking spot they can't stop you. But you will have to pay for the entire cost of the connection, metering, and the cable run which can get long and expensive especially if they have to core to drop through parking levels. We are taking a different tact at my building. The building will pay to have 2 transformers (one on each side of the parking to reduce cable run length), and to install metering and distribution panels. These panels keep track of usage and each install will be charged for the electricity they use. They also allow for more charger installs per panel. Normally a 200A panel is good for 5 chargers (32 A each require a 40 A breaker). But the new smart panels reduce the amperage to each charger is demand (# of cars actively charging) exceed 5. It is possible to have 12 chargers on a single 200 A panel this way, and really how many times will more than 5 be charging at a time? The building will then charge each person requesting an install 1/48th of the cost of these panels thereby recouping the cost and keeping the non-EV owners happy. Each person installing also pays for the cabling and the charger install. I estimate that the cost will be between $3500 and $4500 per depending on the distance from the transformers.
I assume the cost is quoted in CA$? I love to see infrastructure upgrades like this. As the condos trade hands, new, non-EV owners will be taking possession (sometimes). And nothing will convert a non-EV owner to EV owner faster than buying a condo with an EV charger already in the parking space!

Country
Country
I'll be moving into a condo next month and would like to prepare what I'd need to eventually start the process to have a charger installed. Are there forms available to use as a template or if anyone who has gone through this be able to point me to the right resources? I understand I'll have to submit an application with drawings and other items. Are there companies in the GTA who can help with the process? Thanks.

TOFLYIN

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Honestly the best thing to do is to talk to the property manager. Easiest way to see if someone else is blazing the trail for you. I consult to condo board of directors, and would be happy to answer some of your questions. Short answer is they have to allow you to install a level 2 charger (there are a few times they can refuse, but not many). The problem is they don't have to make it affordable. Best to get a feel for the mood of the property manager and the board before you get to worried.

The biggest problem for the boards is that they don't realize they actually should have an EV charging infrastructure plan. Otherwise the first couple of EVs get connected and people following get screwed.