[Concern] Model 3 AWD handling reviews before mass delivery

Teslar

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'm really impressed by the model 3 RWD, its a fun to drive car (even though Elon prefers FSD)
the reviews for it were glowing and so was the rental I took using Turo, for me personally how it drove was a big condition before placing the order.

however for the AWD or Dual Motor (not performance version) I'm concerned I have no choice but to place the order in blind faith that it would drive as good as the RWD as there is absolutely no time for any reviews to come out. and there is only downside to waiting now as we will run out of the tax credit and the free connectivity.
I'm sure all the reviews that come out before my possible delivery (Sept-Nov) will be for the performance variant.

what do you folks think about the dual motor AWD ? same or better handling than the RWD and hopefully not worse ?

me personally am coming from a 3 series with sports package and it corners more smoothly than the model 3. however model 3 was more fun to drive due to its instant acceleration. for the bmw switching from sloth driving to spirited mode required me to put it in sports mode and push the gas hard to activate the gear drop. however the model 3 it was available all the time no need to put it in sports mode just push and go.

looking to hear how folks are thinking the model 3 awd would drive ?

BobLoblaw

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Judging from the Model S, I think the dual motor will be great. That said, I have RWD and no regrets. The balance on the car is remarkable - just a hint of oversteer when I want it. My wife loves how “planted” it feels. I’m sure the dual motor will be similar...

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For fun factor, I've always had a thing for RWD myself. In all reality many of us (though I'm an exception) took the RWD First Production Model 3 without a test drive either.

I'll take a performance dual motor though ;)

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The rwd long range might be the funner driver's car.
- adding the front motor i've read adds 200lbs of weight over the front end... this could increase understeer
- I think I've read that the rear motor power is the same between rwd, awd, and performance... a permanent magnet motor (the awd and performance have an AC motor for the front). So the front motor will help in straight line acceleration however accelerating out of turns you need that power going to the rear or you get more understeer. This also could subject the front AC motor to overheating in a track day environment or at the very least might dial back power.
- neither performance, awd, or rwd have an LSD... and there isn't yet a tesla software algorythm that can get the rear abs to get the open diff to mimic an LSD

I think on a roadcourse... the rwd will get just as fast lap times as the performance version unless there is alot of straights. I'd say if there are alot of turns and combinations of turns the rwd will be faster. If it there is alot of straights then the performance will be faster.

In a drag race the performance will be the quickest.

Would be cool if Elon released "clubsport" software for the rear wheel drive for a fee that unlocks more power to the rear, track oriented track control to not hold back power coming out of turns, and gets the ABS system to mimic LSD. Think if it as starting with a Porsche 911 Carrera then with a software update it turns it into a 911T... vs buying a 911 GTS.

OTOH I could just be saying this because I wished they released the performance first before the long range since I already have the long range.

Country
Country
The rwd long range might be the funner driver's car.
- adding the front motor i've read adds 200lbs of weight over the front end... this could increase understeer
- I think I've read that the rear motor power is the same between rwd, awd, and performance... a permanent magnet motor (the awd and performance have an AC motor for the front). So the front motor will help in straight line acceleration however accelerating out of turns you need that power going to the rear or you get more understeer. This also could subject the front AC motor to overheating in a track day environment or at the very least might dial back power.
- neither performance, awd, or rwd have an LSD... and there isn't yet a tesla software algorythm that can get the rear abs to get the open diff to mimic an LSD

I think on a roadcourse... the rwd will get just as fast lap times as the performance version unless there is alot of straights. I'd say if there are alot of turns and combinations of turns the rwd will be faster. If it there is alot of straights then the performance will be faster.

In a drag race the performance will be the quickest.

Would be cool if Elon released "clubsport" software for the rear wheel drive for a fee that unlocks more power to the rear, track oriented track control to not hold back power coming out of turns, and gets the ABS system to mimic LSD. Think if it as starting with a Porsche 911 Carrera then with a software update it turns it into a 911T... vs buying a 911 GTS.

OTOH I could just be saying this because I wished they released the performance first before the long range since I already have the long range.
Can you or @TrevP tweet Mr. Musk and ask him for this "clubsport" mode - for free, of course?

jsmay311

Country
Country
I've also read reports that the Model S front motor had some noticeable motor noise/whine in the cabin when cruising at certain speeds that some owners found a bit annoying. I'd be curious if the Model 3 AWD suffered something similar. (Although, with the Model 3's rear motor likely being the more efficient motor for highway cruising, there might not be any reason to expect the issue to carry over to the 3.)