Complaints about production delays

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Selected quotes from people complaining about production delays.
My car that was supposed to arrive Jan 20, now has a new date of Feb 7. It has been in “in transit” status for weeks. No guarantees whether or not that date isn’t going to get bumped.
Since they are completely silent, it’s hard to tell what the issue is. It could be anything.
These are the thing that you do if you DONT really want to sell something. If you want to sabotage you own product sales. If I there were one person making these decisions, I’d asked them if they really want to sell these or are they trying to intentionally tank a product.
Based on the very recent issue to date, I wouldn’t make plans based on a timely and organized launch.
And the source of those complaints:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25250
They're complaining about delays in production of the 2018 Nissan Leaf.

Just trying to point out that every car company has production issues. Tesla isn't alone here. The big difference is that Tesla releases some information to us, while other companies release no information at all. I think at some point (perhaps with Model Y), Tesla is going to learn this lesson.

Guy Weathersby

Well said, sir.

People have said that Tesla is more of a tech company than a car company. I worked as a software engineer for over 40 years in government, startups, and and giant 100 year old firms. In all that time I never worked on a project which finished on its original schedule,with its original planned feature set. Half of them never finished at all.

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder probably said, "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy", development schedules work, or rather don't work, exactly the same way.

If you think that the Model 3 schedule slippage is bad, just look at the news, F-35 fighter, NASA's new heavy booster, the Navy's LCS, any major highway project...

We might like to think that these examples are because the government is screwed up, but having worked in the public and private sectors the main difference is that the public sector has to publish their plans and companies keep theirs hidden.

Nobody really is very good at knowing how long it will take to do something new, all they can tell you is what they are trying to do and hoping to do.

Anyone who places much reliance on schedules for new products needs to take a look at the real world.

Tesla has the additional difficulty of not being able to increase budget or remove features to improve their schedule. They have to produce a great 35,000 dollar car.,even if it takes a few more months.