Comparing AP1 to AP2(.5)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I now have 4 days of seat time in my Model S 85 loaner with AP1 and that equates to somewhere around 150-200 autopilot miles and I thought I would share my findings.

AP1 advantages
  • More confident lane changes
  • Shows trucks
  • Shows vehicles around you
AP2(.5) advantages
  • Much more stable with less ping ponging (especially noticeable at higher speeds)
My overall review, I feel much more confident in my Model 3 with autopilot on. This car has a tendency to sway a lot. With the right scroll wheel in place for speed/follow distance I think we have a home run with Model 3 autopilot!

For reference the Model S is running 2018.18

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I now have 4 days of seat time in my Model S 85 loaner with AP1 and that equates to somewhere around 150-200 autopilot miles and I thought I would share my findings.

AP1 advantages
  • Shows trucks
AP2(.5) advantages
  • Much more stable with less ping ponging (especially noticeable at higher speeds)
My overall review, I feel much more confident in my Model 3 with autopilot on. This car has a tendency to sway a lot. With the right scroll wheel in place for speed/follow distance I think we have a home run with Model 3 autopilot!

Sounds like AP2 is at the very least on parity with AP1 now! ;)

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

AP1 advantages
  • Shows trucks
AP2(.5) advantages

Interesting, I have not experienced any ping-ponging in Red Dragon. Only ‘drawback’ is it clearly does not work in construction zones.
Other than than, it is very impressive and I use it wherever I can and reasonable! :)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sounds like AP2 is at the very least on parity with AP1 now! ;)
On the important stuff I’d say it’s equal or better.

Interesting, I have not experienced any ping-ponging in Red Dragon. Only ‘drawback’ is it clearly does not work in construction zones.
Other than than, it is very impressive and I use it wherever I can and reasonable! :)
I drive the same route everyday so it’s been a fairly consistent test. This Model S has a few hiccups, but don’t get me wrong overall smooth. There is a sweeping turn that my Model 3 handles at 75 MPH without a problem dead center in the lane and the Model S put me over the line which freaked me out a bit. Another spot where the highway exit lane is oversized and my Model 3 will slowly move to hug a line until both lines get closer and the car re-centers, where as the Model S swayed back and forth.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh I found something else.

Pro for AP1 auto lane change works off the highway.