Commands for Tesla: A Tesla app for iPhone and Apple Watch

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
**This is unofficial M3OC forum thread for feature request and support for Commands for Tesla iOS and watchOS app**
Commands for Tesla adds Siri Shortcuts, today widget and Apple Watch support for your Tesla vehicle.
In this forum thread, I will answer to all questions, feature requests, and bug reports for Commands for Tesla app.
Supported vehicles: Model 3, S & X
Current version: 1.1

Twitter: @commands4tesla

Apple Watch features:
- Lock or unlock the doors
- Turn on or off the auto conditioning system
- Flash the lights
- Honk the horn
- Open the front trunk (aka Frunk)
- Open the back trunk
- See the temperature of inside and outside of the car
- Set the cabin temperature
- Turn on seat heater for driver and passenger
- Check the battery status of your car
- See the charging status of your car
- Open charger port
- Set charge limit
- See the last location of your car on map
- See the last location address of your car

You can use Siri shortcuts to send commands to your car and hear the current status of your car with below functionalities:
- Open the charge port
- Flash the lights
- Honk the horn
- Open the back trunk
- Get the inside temperature of your car
- Get the outside temperature of your car
- Find out how much range remained

Today widget supported:
- Flash the lights
- Honk the horn
- Open the back

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm always interested in an app with nice Apple Watch features.
Looks to have a decent UI. Currently $5.

Here's the question I have: how often are you polling the car?
The problem that keeps me from using the Stats app is it wakes the car every 30 minutes.
I use TeslaFi extensively and I like its logic of allowing the car to sleep after 30 minutes. It will never sleep if both are used.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm always interested in an app with nice Apple Watch features.
Looks to have a decent UI. Currently $5.

Here's the question I have: how often are you polling the car?
The problem that keeps me from using the Stats app is it wakes the car every 30 minutes.
I use TeslaFi extensively and I like its logic of allowing the car to sleep after 30 minutes. It will never sleep if both are used.

Thank you for bring this up. The Commands for Tesla app only communicate with vehicle and wake it up if required when you want to send a command to your vehicle, or when you open the app to get updated status of your car. So you don’t have to be worried about making your car awake every 30 minutes or so 🙂

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just purchased the app and recommend it. A couple of quick comments for the app designer:

- The frunk icon is not sufficiently obviously different from the trunk (e.g. not obvious which way the vehicle is pointing).
- I think the open charge port button should toggle to become a close charge port button after it is opened

Nice to have this capability on my wrist!

ehendrix23

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Few comments:
Inside and outside temp are showing with bunch of decimals. Really no decimals needed.
Button to sync temp states temerature instead of temperature.
Any way to also set heated seats for rear?
Would be nice if icons for trunk and frunk show closed when closed, open when open.
Shortcut for Sentry?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just purchased the app and recommend it. A couple of quick comments for the app designer:

- The frunk icon is not sufficiently obviously different from the trunk (e.g. not obvious which way the vehicle is pointing).
- I think the open charge port button should toggle to become a close charge port button after it is opened

Nice to have this capability on my wrist!
Thank you for checking out the app and I’m glad you liked it.
We will try to fix the issues you pointed at in the next release.
Also the a new version of the app with some other fixes and improvements released yesterday.
Thank you

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does the app buffer the command (particularly turning on the climate control) while the car is waking up, so we don’t need to wait the 30 seconds?
Thank you for pointing that out.
Buffering the commands is not supported, yet. However, this is under development and will be released as soon as the work is done.
Thank you

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Few comments:
Inside and outside temp are showing with bunch of decimals. Really no decimals needed.
Button to sync temp states temerature instead of temperature.
Any way to also set heated seats for rear?
Would be nice if icons for trunk and frunk show closed when closed, open when open.
Shortcut for Sentry?
Thank you for checking out the app.
Issue wirh decimal palces is now fixed in the new update yesterday.
I’m sorry our QA has missed that spelling issue, will be fixed in next release.
We’re working to re design some sections of the app to include the rear seats heater as well, will keep you posted about thar.
It currently does show the status of the trunk and frunk and whether they’re open or not, their button color changes.
Shortcut for Sentry is on list of to do items.
Thank you again for checking the app. I will keep you posted about the new features.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How reliable are the siri commands? I've been using Remote S for awhile and it fails to turn on the climate control 30% of the time or so. Chatted with the author and he's having to do a substantial rewrite of the application to fix the issue but I'm sick of waiting as it's been a few months.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How reliable are the siri commands? I've been using Remote S for awhile and it fails to turn on the climate control 30% of the time or so. Chatted with the author and he's having to do a substantial rewrite of the application to fix the issue but I'm sick of waiting as it's been a few months.
Thank you for asking this.
Whenever you use any of shortcuts, it will first checks the status of your vehicle, if it's online and awake, it sends the command. If it's online but it's not awake, it first awakes it and then sends the command, if the wake up process takes longer than normal, it will give you appropriate feedback about that. And if the car isn't online like the time is not connect to Cellular or Wifi, it will tell you that as well. So, it's pretty reliable and if any command fails, at you least will be aware of the reason.
I hope this helps.
Let me know if you have any other questions

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thank you for asking this.
Whenever you use any of shortcuts, it will first checks the status of your vehicle, if it's online and awake, it sends the command. If it's online but it's not awake, it first awakes it and then sends the command, if the wake up process takes longer than normal, it will give you appropriate feedback about that. And if the car isn't online like the time is not connect to Cellular or Wifi, it will tell you that as well. So, it's pretty reliable and if any command fails, at you least will be aware of the reason.
I hope this helps.
Let me know if you have any other questions
I've bought the app and really like it so far! I've noticed the shortcut to turn on HVAC is called 'Turn on AC" inside of Shortcuts. I've also gotten errors a few times. I keep the Shortcuts widget on my home screen and just click it to run. Within maybe 5 seconds it'll say unknown error but I've created a custom shortcut that runs the command twice, waiting 10 seconds inbetween and so far so good.

Last edited:
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've bought the app and really like it so far! I've noticed the shortcut to turn on HVAC is called 'Turn on AC" inside of Shortcuts. I've also gotten errors a few times. I keep the Shortcuts widget on my home screen and just click it to run. Within maybe 5 seconds it'll say unknown error but I've created a custom shortcut that runs the command twice, waiting 10 seconds inbetween and so far so good.
Thank you for pointing that out, we make sure this will be fixed in the coming release.
Generally for any shortcuts, when you get the unknown error, it will be fixed by removing the shortcut and adding it again.
Let us know if you have any concern or question.

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In using the app for a few days I'm finding that it seems to not wait long after requesting the car wake up. When I open the app it'll spin for 5-10 seconds and say fail to connect. Usually if I force close it and reopen the car is awake and ready.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In using the app for a few days I'm finding that it seems to not wait long after requesting the car wake up. When I open the app it'll spin for 5-10 seconds and say fail to connect. Usually if I force close it and reopen the car is awake and ready.
Thank you for letting me know.
We are aware of this issue, but the reason the app says failed to connect is because it seems sometimes in the process of waiking up the car, Tesla resposes back with inaccurate status of the car. For example when car is connected and it’s sleep, sometimes instead of showing the car status as asleep which it usually does, it shows it as offline and based on that the error shows. However the reality is the car is waking up in that moment.
We are currently working on a fix to make it better.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Finally installed the app, functionally it seems great so far.

The opening screen on the watch bugs me. The bottom row of buttons are half displayed and need to be scrolled. Can you fit all the buttons on the display by moving them closer together?
Also, I might suggest adding some colors to the buttons, so my brain can more quickly identify what I want to press.
Most of the time I am just turning on HVAC.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Finally installed the app, functionally it seems great so far.

The opening screen on the watch bugs me. The bottom row of buttons are half displayed and need to be scrolled. Can you fit all the buttons on the display by moving them closer together?
Also, I might suggest adding some colors to the buttons, so my brain can more quickly identify what I want to press.
Most of the time I am just turning on HVAC.
Thank you for your support. I hope you enjoy the app.

Thank you for sharing this with me, I will discuss this with our designer to check the possible options for making the icons more readable on watch.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have another idea..OK well, two:

Add a button to enable/disable sentry mode.

Now that's too many buttons! Well.. it would be nice to have the ability to choose which buttons we want (and even better, their position).

HVAC is still the only button I really use, and I have to scroll down a bit to use that. I would personally like HVAC first, sentry second, then maybe horn and frunk open.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have another idea..OK well, two:

Add a button to enable/disable sentry mode.

Now that's too many buttons! Well.. it would be nice to have the ability to choose which buttons we want (and even better, their position).

HVAC is still the only button I really use, and I have to scroll down a bit to use that. I would personally like HVAC first, sentry second, then maybe horn and frunk open.

I think the issue here is everyone wants a different order for the buttons, in my case I use Frunk the most, arms full and say "Hey siri open Frunk", in your case HVAC is the most important for you, so the best solution would be to allow users to configure the order of buttons based on each individual use case

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think the issue here is everyone wants a different order for the buttons, in my case I use Frunk the most, arms full and say "Hey siri open Frunk", in your case HVAC is the most important for you, so the best solution would be to allow users to configure the order of buttons based on each individual use case
Which is why I suggested we have the ability to change positions.
Also, I don't use the frunk button because..I have never ONCE used the frunk! :eek: Really needs an auto-close.