Color regrets?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Birdman

Country
Country
From the time I started thinking about a Tesla, (a while ago!) to the time I placed my reservation deposit for the Model 3 (end of 2017) to the time I ordered (June 30, 2018) it was always midnight blue. Then, my teen age daughter looked at the picture and said it is “too bright / too flashy / too much like Honda Civic bright blue” and that I should get cool sophisticated midnight silver metallic instead. (I am very impressionable, especially when it comes to my daughter!)

I am of course now at a total cross road. Started looking at every picture I could find on-line and can’t decide. I might be able to still change my colour without impact my delivery date (Sept - Nov) but according to the Tesla rep I spoke to on the phone, there is no real way of knowing until you make the change, and if your delivery date does change, you can’t go back.

Ugh.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Then, my teen age daughter looked at the picture and said it is “too bright / too flashy / too much like Honda Civic bright blue”
Go to your local Tesla store and look at the blue cars, whether Model 3, Model S, or Model X (Tesla uses the same color blue for all of them). I think Tesla's blue is actually quite dark in person - I was actually worried that it was going to look too dark.

Vin

Country
Country
From the time I started thinking about a Tesla, (a while ago!) to the time I placed my reservation deposit for the Model 3 (end of 2017) to the time I ordered (June 30, 2018) it was always midnight blue. Then, my teen age daughter looked at the picture and said it is “too bright / too flashy / too much like Honda Civic bright blue” and that I should get cool sophisticated midnight silver metallic instead. (I am very impressionable, especially when it comes to my daughter!)

I am of course now at a total cross road. Started looking at every picture I could find on-line and can’t decide. I might be able to still change my colour without impact my delivery date (Sept - Nov) but according to the Tesla rep I spoke to on the phone, there is no real way of knowing until you make the change, and if your delivery date does change, you can’t go back.

Ugh.
Honestly, every color looks good with the Model 3 because it's a stunning car.
However, I highly recommend if you can to see as many colors in person if possible, even if it's just driving up to a delivery center and walking around.
I had some impressions change of colors I thought I would get until I saw them in person, and what I thought was great in pictures was just nice in person, and what I thought was not that great in pictures was stunning in person.

In the end I personally chose white and I do not regret it at all, in fact I'm more pleased with that choice now then originally, and was worried it would get dirty fast or bugs would be splattered everywhere each day, but it's almost the opposite, at least where I live. It looks clean, it glows 99% of the time, with an occasional wipe of a towel if a bird happens to leave a splatter (only had to do this twice in 3 weeks).

Like I said, you can't go wrong so don't overthink it, but do choose the color that you want, not just what seems more practical, or what others have or don't have.
None of that will matter in the long run, except what makes you say "wow, that's not a spaceship in my driveway, it's my car".

Last edited:

Birdman

Country
Country
Thx. At one point when I was seroulsly considering an X, I spent a lot of time looking at the blue with the White interior and there was no issue in my mind, that is what I would have ordered. When I moved the X and started focussing on the 3, I pretty much just took that same thought process and ported it over to the 3 (not including the White interior of course) and just defaulted to the Blue. Sometimes though, a particular colour may look better on one vehicle (Size, shape etc) than the other.
I need to try and call my local service centre and see if they have any Model 3 in for service and if so, what colour.Thx

Runt8

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Go to your local Tesla store and look at the blue cars, whether Model 3, Model S, or Model X (Tesla uses the same color blue for all of them). I think Tesla's blue is actually quite dark in person - I was actually worried that it was going to look too dark.
Make sure you look at actual cars, and not the little samples they have hanging up in the store. For some reason I'm not a big fan of the blue on the sample, but seeing on an actual Tesla makes all the difference.

I was told by an employee the other day that Tesla only allows red, white, and both shades of silver on cars in their showroom, so seeing black or blue is a little more difficult.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Pictures and videos don’t do the Model 3 justice. It’s best to see the colors in person on the actual car, if possible.

I’ve stopped by my local Tesla store multiple times under different lighting conditions. It helped me a lot since I was able to narrow my choices down to black, silver, blue & red LOL.

systemBuilder

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife wanted silver car, silver wheels. However, when I looked at the pie charts, Silver was the LEAST popular color (among the originals), and so I chickened out, going with the herd, and asked her to pick a different color. She picked BLUE! So we are blue, which is good. We already have cars that are silver, ruby red, and a green-blue (which is probably the first car we will get rid of ...)

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I wrestled with this question for months! In every Model 3 picture I saw, I fell in love with whatever color I was looking at. And when I saw a red one in a showroom, WOW! But here's what I realized, largely as a result of reading this thread: those are all brand-new, totally shined-up cars. So I started paying attention to ALL of the other cars on the road while driving to work, and considering which colors would look best when the car hadn't just been washed- which is to say, 99% of the time. That made it easy: two weeks ago I chose silver with the 19" wheels. And if mine winds up being the only silver Model 3 in the area, even better.

Now, just for fun, if I could have ordered any color, I'd have gone with Glacier Blue if it had been offered, or Ferrari's color Blu Mirabeau. But silver will be just fine.

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife wanted silver car, silver wheels. However, when I looked at the pie charts, Silver was the LEAST popular color (among the originals), and so I chickened out, going with the herd, and asked her to pick a different color.
That's EXACTLY why I picked it (Silver Metallic)...soon enough the 3 will be fairly common and I don't like common.... that and the easy color maintenance doesn't hurt. Blue was my second choice and it sure does look good clean. ;)

I wrestled with this question for months! In every Model 3 picture I saw, I fell in love with whatever color I was looking at. And when I saw a red one in a showroom, WOW! But here's what I realized, largely as a result of reading this thread: those are all brand-new, totally shined-up cars. So I started paying attention to ALL of the other cars on the road while driving to work, and considering which colors would look best when the car hadn't just been washed- which is to say, 99% of the time. That made it easy: two weeks ago I chose silver with the 19" wheels. And if mine winds up being the only silver Model 3 in the area, even better.

Now, just for fun, if I could have ordered any color, I'd have gone with Glacier Blue if it had been offered, or Ferrari's color Blu Mirabeau. But silver will be just fine.
I'm with you! :D

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Blue is beautiful. I love the way the roof blends in with the color of the car. I've had so many people sitting in the back seat and not notice the glass roof until I tell them to look up. They say that they did not even notice it from the outside. Priceless.
On a second note, I feel the back of the car looks incomplete, even naked. I added the Model 3 and Tesla wording from RPM Tesla and love it! Now Tess is fully dressed and telling the world who she is!

Attachments

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought a Red car in 1985. The only new car I ever bought for myself, until Tuesday.
For years I wanted a Red 3.
A buddy talked me into white: it shows off the sponsor stickers. But Tesla delays pushed that road rally past me. Then Maevra convinced me silver, not the dark gray but silver, showed dirt the least. Got at listen to a lady who knows low maintenance. Then I was back to red.
Here I am, through a a series of unfortunate events, the proud owner of a BLUE 3.
No regrets.
Besides. Once you are in the car, can you even see the paint job?
This color question is right up there with how many angels can dance on a pinhead.
Just Drive.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Love the pictures of the black several posts back. Most of my cars have been black and kept clean and in good shape I still think it is one of the best colors. I will say I prefer it with the sport wheels, but Black is very nice. Color choice wasn't mine to make, it was truly first going to be red and then changed to MSM and am very happy with it. Get down close or in the sun and there are several different colors mixed in.

And I'll just toss this out there, no matter which color you choose with PUP you get the amazing glass roof that is pretty dang cool and incredible when it gets wet. That gets everyones attention.

Zeke

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My wife insisted on red. I don’t understand why anyone would choose a car that is not painted silver, and you cannot convince me otherwise. It’s like saying that it is okay to drink cappuccino after 11:00 a.m. It isn’t. We live in strange times.

mastre

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wrestled with this question for months!

[snip]

I too am wrestling with this decision, like never before. Truth be told, I don't really, really really like any of the colors on offer. If I could order any color, like you it would be a blue, in my case it would be BMW Estoril Blue, which is pretty much the only blue I know of that is simultaneously not too dark and not too light. I could be swayed by a lighter blue if it's the right one (Ferrari Blu Mirabeau is too light for my taste tho), but generally I wouldn't like a darker blue.

Here's the massive breakdown of what I'm battling with:
  1. I like the Red but my wife's getting one in red. I think it's truly the only special color out of a field that, IMO, is rather unremarkable. We could get two reds? Would be unique, and make for an interesting story, but I don't know..
  2. I love the Silver! Too bad I've owned a silver car for 10 years. Back of my mind? Sure, it's still a possibility. Silver in stealth looks great!
  3. Blue looks amazing in direct sunlight! I'm a fan of blue, my current car is in the aforementioned Estoril Blue. Unfortunately, the DBM is way too dark for my taste in 75% of lighting conditions (and I'm being generous with that %age). In the back of my mind I am still considering it -- one of my main points is to try something new, and while I've had (I have) a blue car before, this blue is so dark that it would be a new experience. So DBM not 100% out.
  4. MSM, hmm.. I thought there was something there. Just not feeling it tho. Looks interesting in stealth.
  5. Black? No. I've had a black car and not doing that again. Even saving $1000-1500 can't convince me. Although there are some Ses in my 'hood which are in black and look amazing. They also look like they're being very carefully looked after, which I simply don't have time for. IMO in stealth it looks like it was spray painted flat black.
  6. Then there is white. I think it looks great! So what in the actual [____] is the problem then, you say? Well.. it's just not me. I dunno. Maybe do the stormtrooper thing to make it look interesting. Try something new. It's currently configured as such. White is the color of fleet vehicles and hospitals. And I'll probably get it lol
  7. There's the option of doing a color changing wrap. But no PPF protection if you go that route, and not absolutely crazy about the look of 3M wrap material. Although there is at least 1 blue I like.

ARGH! :p:Do_O;):)