Color Model 3 Sport Wheels - Paint, Wrap, or Powder Coat?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

datpuz

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
I've ordered my performance Model 3 which will have the 20" sport wheels. Unfortunately, the only color option for the sport wheels is silver.

I'd like to change these to a dark gray color (similar to the "sonic carbon" color available for Model S wheels). Does anyone have any idea what the best approach would be? If I painted or powder coated them, would I be able to return them to their original factory chrome color? Would a wrap be low quality or peel off easily?

hdAge

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
No
I would go with Autoflex (instead of Plastidip). I have my entire BMW X5 painted with auto flex and it simply looks amazing, not yet done wheels as I'm switching to Model 3 :)

check this video.

The best part is you can peel off the paint anytime and your original OEM paint on the wheels would remain.

OD_CT

Country
Country
2dfef7e6-6e59-4081-94a0-1fcd4d85cfb7-jpeg.10984
Had my 19” wheels powder coated. They look amazing and cost $1000 for all 4 wheels. The installer offered a cheaper powder coating option which may or may not have been any different but I’m very pleased with the results.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does powder coating peel or chip? Any negatives to powder coating. Thinking of doing the same with my 20s when I get them.

JohnTc

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That looks amazing. I ordered red AWD, was thinking of a gun metal color like the turbines the S has but that black looks mean. Did you have the calipers done at the same time?
I seen a couple red with chrome delete and satin black 19’s and it looks really good. I had the calipers done right before I got the wheels powder coated since I had them done at a diff shop.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Does powder coating peel or chip? Any negatives to powder coating. Thinking of doing the same with my 20s when I get them.
powder coat is an electro plating, so it is permanent and does not peel. It may chip, but it would need some significant impact to.
it is the same as you would see around town on permanently installed metal fixtures like benches, bike racks, trash cans, handrails, guardrails, etc that have a solid color finish.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Plastidip for quick and cheap, paint otherwise (I just dipped my P3D 20s for winter). If you want sonic carbon, you can have a wheel paint shop use the exact paint. I did that on my X using the same fokls the Service Center by me uses for repairs. I will likely go that route for my summer 20s.

I don't liek powdercoat, had a set done in black on my X as well. There is almost always more orange peel with powdercoat, you can potentially weaken the wheel and if you get any cracking, chipping etc, it's more difficult to repair than paint.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
I thought all plastidip was applied with aerosol spray, but I just checked their website and see there is also the brushed-on option. Using a brush seems like I wouldn't have to spend as much time taping things up. Does anyone have experience with both methods?