Cloth/Textile seats?

Pegasus

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Hey everyone.

New user here, but I've been following Tesla since the beginning (got some stock at a great price!) and EVs in general since the GM EV1 was introduced in the mid 1990s.

I live in a desert so am wanting a) light-colored interior and b) textile/cloth/something-porous seat material. (I'm otherwise fine with the PUP.)

I've read the threads speculating about the availability of the white interior, but does anyone care to speculate on the availability of textile/cloth seating material? (I fear I'll need to wait for the $35K configuration.)

(I'm not on Twitter so can't ask Elon directly. ;) )

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey everyone.

New user here, but I've been following Tesla since the beginning (got some stock at a great price!) and EVs in general since the GM EV1 was introduced in the mid 1990s.

I live in a desert so am wanting a) light-colored interior and b) textile/cloth/something-porous seat material. (I'm otherwise fine with the PUP.)

I've read the threads speculating about the availability of the white interior, but does anyone care to speculate on the availability of textile/cloth seating material? (I fear I'll need to wait for the $35K configuration.)

(I'm not on Twitter so can't ask Elon directly. ;) )
Welcome to the forum!

Elon confirmed yesterday that the white (premium) interior won't become available until Tesla hits the 5K/week production milestone, likely sometime in July at the earliest.

As for the non-premium (textile) interior, most of us are currently assuming that it will first go to production as part of the base $35K configuration. Tesla currently estimates that this configuration will become available in "Late 2018", so it will likely be another 8+ months before you can order it.

In theory, Tesla *could* make the standard interior available sometime between releasing the the white interior in the summer and the $35K base car late in the year. But (to me at least) it seems more likely that Tesla would focus on ramping AWD and white-premium-interior production over the course of that time period rather than introducing additional complexity beyond what is already entailed by AWD/white interior. Plus, given that the federal tax credit will reduce by 50% on either October 1st or January 1st, Tesla will be under pressure to produce as many cars as possible (at the highest average selling price) during that time period. Slowing the lines to add new, lower-margin options would not help them in that regard.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t like leather either but the synthetic leather stuff of the PUP is quite nice and non-leathery. I suspect it might feel better than traditional leather seating in hot weather. If I wind up not liking it, I’ll probably have a local upholstery shop redo the seating surface in something different.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t like leather either but the synthetic leather stuff of the PUP is quite nice and non-leathery. I suspect it might feel better than traditional leather seating in hot weather. If I wind up not liking it, I’ll probably have a local upholstery shop redo the seating surface in something different.
I can vouch for the seating material in a warm climate (South Florida). We are in the mid 90s F today and though I pre-cooled my car before getting in (it was 130F ambient temperature inside the car as I left work and headed for the parking lot), I find the seats very comfortable! I would love an air conditioned seat option, but you can't have it all :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3,

Do the 3s seats make your back sweat like regular leather? One of the things I’ve always hated about leather....esp in the summer. Getting to my destination....climbing out and literally having to ‘Pull’ the soaking wet shirt off of and away from my back as I stand up and try to look presentable! This will be my first non Textile interior vehicle.

Ski

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can vouch for the seating material in a warm climate (South Florida). We are in the mid 90s F today and though I pre-cooled my car before getting in (it was 130F ambient temperature inside the car as I left work and headed for the parking lot), I find the seats very comfortable! I would love an air conditioned seat option, but you can't have it all :)
Funny, I had almost the exact same experience yesterday. Temps got up to over 130 in the car, so quickly set the temp to 70 before walking out and literally in less than a minute the temp was at around 73 according to the app. I haven't had an issue yet with my back sweating, but I generally get cold easily, so your experience may be different.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@SoFlaModel3,

Do the 3s seats make your back sweat like regular leather? One of the things I’ve always hated about leather....esp in the summer. Getting to my destination....climbing out and literally having to ‘Pull’ the soaking wet shirt off of and away from my back as I stand up and try to look presentable! This will be my first non Textile interior vehicle.

Ski
I can safely tell you I would be one to be sweating :oops: if the seats were bad that way and they're not. Pre-cooling is especially nice though because you are blasting the seats with cold air before you get in!

Country
Country
I thought you could set the A/C to run automatically if the inside temperature reached above certain degrees. Haven't received my car yet to try it myself. But does anyone know whether that can be done?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I thought you could set the A/C to run automatically if the inside temperature reached above certain degrees. Haven't received my car yet to try it myself. But does anyone know whether that can be done?
dont think that has been worked into the Model 3s software yet.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MelindaV is right. Cabin overheat protection is not available on Model 3 yet. Now that said, I’m worried about the impact on range loss if my car bakes in the South Florida heat while I’m at work all day.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MelindaV is right. Cabin overheat protection is not available on Model 3 yet. Now that said, I’m worried about the impact on range loss if my car bakes in the South Florida heat while I’m at work all day.
when it was first released on the S/X, I think Tesla (or maybe an owner...) estimated the amount of time it could have overheat protection on before it would deplete the battery. it was a long time (in other words, I don't remember, but multiple weeks).
but also, it is not to keep the interior at a comfortable temperature, but out of a dangerous temperature range (+105F).
to illustrate... here's a Norwegian (somewhat neked) in Greece demonstrating.

Pegasus

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
One of the things I’ve always hated about leather....esp in the summer. Getting to my destination....climbing out and literally having to ‘Pull’ the soaking wet shirt off of and away from my back as I stand up and try to look presentable!
That's exactly why I'm asking. My back and rear end start to sweat even with the A/C on after just 10 minutes when pressed against a non-porous surface. (It even happens on some plastic-based cloth-like and weave seats too. I would so love ventilated seats...)

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
but also, it is not to keep the interior at a comfortable temperature, but out of a dangerous temperature range (+105F).
Two things...

1. 105F is dangerous? Heck that is our summers haha. I would love that feature though.
2. The guy on that video looks strangely like the funny guy that Bjorn has show up on some of his antic videos.