CLOSED Wheel Exchange For Tesla 20”

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• Selling or promoting products is NOT permitted on TOO. Please contact us for advertising or sponsorship rates.
    No bumping of threads unless you're lowering a price, answering a question, or adding useful information. Please note that items for sale must be in the possession of the buyer unless prior approval is opbtained by the admin.
    ALL ADS MUST INCLUDE A PRICE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Anybody interested in getting an almost new set of Tesla 20” wheels from my Model 3P for exchange of a set of 19” Tesla wheels? There are 2 conditions, need to be mint and am asking for an exchange fee if tires have more than 1500 miles.
Also, you need to be in driving distance to meet half way to Boston.

2002a

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have a set of 20" wheels\tires that I will be looking to swap with 19's when I pickup my 3P this Saturday. The prospective 19's must be very, very new and located in the Bay Area\South Bay\Central Coast area. This would be a straight accross swap.

2002a

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It is my wife's car and she preferred more rubber between her and the road for a slightly more comfortable ride. I was able to meet up with a local M3 AWD owner who had removed his 19's upon delivery and examine his 19's for fitment. They did in fact have the indentation\cutout for the M3P+ hub but were 5mm short on the offset, which was not a big deal.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I live in the North East and don't want to have 2 sets of wheels for summer and winter so I thought that the 19" are a good compromise using all season tires. They pretty much look the same but have a larger offset.
Nobody responded here in the NE so I go with all-season 20" as the winter is approaching and probably put the summer tires up for sale with 1500 miles on them.

Alighieri256

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just a head's up. This guy thinks the stock 19's won't fit without spacers or modification, per his description in the video:

Last edited:

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Apparently some of the 19's are made with the center machined like the 20's. They fit just fine.
For those who care with the 20's and the OEM tire, there is less than 2" between the edge of the rim and the pavement.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Apparently some of the 19's are made with the center machined like the 20's. They fit just fine.
Here's the thread where @SilverShadow shows some pics of 19s with the extra machining.
There has been debate over this for a while, and Tesla even recently updated their web site stating the 19's won't fit Performance with the performance package. Not completely true.. I recently swapped my stock 19's for 20's from a member.. My 19's bolted right up..cleared performance hub and brakes, no problem.

My theory is Tesla made multiple versions of the 19's.. one with(recent builds) the cutout for the protruding hub, and one without(early builds). Since they likely share same part number, its difficult to know which version you will get. The safe thing for Tesla to do is simply claim they do not fit.

Attached are pictures of the performance hub with the extra protrusion(lip), and pictures of the back of BOTH the stock 19's and 20's. Notice both wheels have the exact same cutout. The 19's came off my Dual Motor, non-Perf, that was built in Sept.. 97K vin.

For you performance owners who want 19's, they will fit if the cut out if present. This is something you need to verify before you purchase wheels..

1st pic = performance hub with lip (~70mm x ~2.3mm)
2nd pic = 20"
3rd pic = 19"

View attachment 15461 View attachment 15462 View attachment 15463

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As mentioned above, I’m in the North East and gave up on the direct wheel exchange of 20” to 19”. I did get 245/35/20 all season tires from Continental that are just 3mm higher which is about half of the available tread depth during the live time of a tire.
The side walls are more vertical and the rim protector extrudes bout 3mm of the rim which should give some protect for those pot holes that are some times hard to avoid.
I will know after this winter if this was a good choice. Tire noise is comparable to the stock tires but contact is obviously not on par with summer tires but still good enough to excelerate at full force out of a turn. I had these on my previous P85 in staggered configuration and they worked well.
Thanks for sharing the video above!

2002a

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I personally can attest to the fitment of Sport 19's to a 3p+ as I installed the 19's on a P3+ in the parking lot next to the delivery center immediately after taking delivery at 11:00pm on Sept 30th. The Sport 19's came off a AWD delivered only two days prior. Naturally I inspected them first and the only difference was that the 20's had more offset. (5mm).

Status
Not open for further replies.