Clip on vent air freshener

kataleen

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just wanted to remind everyone who wants to use the old fashioned clip on vent air fresheners that they can still use them on the Model 3, You can either clip them on the back vents, or, if you are in my situation with oversensitive brats, clip them on the front downward blowing vents under the steering wheel. I believe the air vent is the one on the right (the one on the left did not seem to blow air so it may be only a cooling vent for something under the cover). Here's a picture
img_0579-jpg.28718

Attachments

Mosess

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Id like to let you guys know that these so called "air fresheners" are full of highly toxic endocrine disruptor chemicals. Just as we are all concerned with saving the environment by not spewing poisonous fumes every time we drove somewhere, so should we be concerned by the environmental health disaster to whichmany of the chemicals used in the artificial-fragrance industry are heavy contributors.
The best thing you can do to avoid odors in your car is to get a few activated-charcoal odor eliminators. And if there's a particularly strong odor you want to get rid of, Ozone gas is the magic bullet and has no toxic effects on the environment or human health as it naturally breaks down very quickly.

I added a sheet of open cell foam infused with activated charcoal to the air intake cover, accessed by opening the frunk and removing the plastic cover near the base of the windshield. It has practically eliminated bad odors or fumes from ever getting into the cabin even while recirc is off and driving behind some putz with a dirty diesel fart machine.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Id like to let you guys know that these so called "air fresheners" are full of highly toxic endocrine disruptor chemicals. Just as we are all concerned with saving the environment by not spewing poisonous fumes every time we drove somewhere, so should we be concerned by the environmental health disaster to whichmany of the chemicals used in the artificial-fragrance industry are heavy contributors.
The best thing you can do to avoid odors in your car is to get a few activated-charcoal odor eliminators. And if there's a particularly strong odor you want to get rid of, Ozone gas is the magic bullet and has no toxic effects on the environment or human health as it naturally breaks down very quickly.

I added a sheet of open cell foam infused with activated charcoal to the air intake cover, accessed by opening the frunk and removing the plastic cover near the base of the windshield. It has practically eliminated bad odors or fumes from ever getting into the cabin even while recirc is off and driving behind some putz with a dirty diesel fart machine.
Any chance you have a link (or links) to share for the open cell foam you use? I’ll Amazon search it after this post, for sure... but if you have a good, trustworthy option I’d like to skip the “is this legit or a knock off?” questioning that goes with looking on Amazon these days.

Mosess

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any chance you have a link (or links) to share for the open cell foam you use? I’ll Amazon search it after this post, for sure... but if you have a good, trustworthy option I’d like to skip the “is this legit or a knock off?” questioning that goes with looking on Amazon these days.
Certainly. Here are the links to what I use.
Note on the ozonater, premise must be vacant while the unit is running. Ozone gas, at these high concentrations, can cause mild (reversible) damage to lung cells. I use this at my house when we leave for a trips or weekends to deodorize the house and it works amazingly well for the car as well. And it kills any bacteria, mold and viruses that it comes in contact with.

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Certainly. Here are the links to what I use.
Note on the ozonater, premise must be vacant while the unit is running. Ozone gas, at these high concentrations, can cause mild (reversible) damage to lung cells. I use this at my house when we leave for a trips or weekends to deodorize the house and it works amazingly well for the car as well. And it kills any bacteria, mold and viruses that it comes in contact with.

Awesome. Thank you so much! I actually use a smaller form factor of the middle link for my shoes. I can’t even remember the last time I’ve had to replace them as I just put them out in the sun for some time to rejuvenate them and then re-use them again.
Definitely going to look into buying/cutting the first one to fit in my car. Appreciate it!

kataleen

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I agree about the charcoal. I use it too. However in my case I really love the smell of a freshner in the car. I guess it just puts me in a good mood every time I jump in the car. Like being a model 3 is not enough.... :D

Now that you mentioned that, I will actually take a look on what's inside these fresheners. I am sure there are a lot of good smelling natural and healthy sources.

bsunny

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree about the charcoal. I use it too. However in my case I really love the smell of a freshner in the car. I guess it just puts me in a good mood every time I jump in the car. Like being a model 3 is not enough.... :D
<<<>>>
I am sure there are a lot of good smelling natural and healthy sources.
If you really wasn’t a scent in your car, you might want to consider lavender, or other essential oil. Look up aromatherapy essential oils and see what might give you the boost you need at any given time.

There are usb-plug diffusers that are available that use no water. Or, a few (3-5 maybe) drops on a cotton ball will do.

If you’re feeling stuffy one day, you might like a blend of oils (such as is available from several sources) to help clear congestion (I could tell you what I use, but I want to steer clear of selling anything.)

We also use peppermint essential oil in our garage to deter mice. My husband’s first Prius was trashed by an infestation. Since using peppermint essential oil in the garage for about a year, we have had no mouse problem. I have heard (in this forum, I think?) of some Tesla’s wiring being chewed by mice. Yikes.

Whatever you use, I do recommend you research it and make sure to buy good quality essential oils, and not those of questionable sourcing.

This is NOT an ad; just trying to keep you from poisoning yourself and the environment. 😉

One more comment: if you use any kind of scent (on you or in your car), please be aware of any others who are with you. Infants are especially vulnerable and should not be subjected to some. Many other people are very sensitive.