Climate control not working at all...

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Hey guys. For some reason, I can’t get the climate control or the fan to come on at all. The app and the dash both say it’s working but nothing comes on. I’ve tried to reboot from the screen and the steering wheel but still nothing. The app says it’s got air coming out with the arrows but the temp doesn’t change. Needless to say AC is pretty important in the summer and especially with Black on Black. Thanks.

Attachments

plankeye

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey guys. For some reason, I can’t get the climate control or the fan to come on at all. The app and the dash both say it’s working but nothing comes on. I’ve tried to reboot from the screen and the steering wheel but still nothing. The app says it’s got air coming out with the arrows but the temp doesn’t change. Needless to say AC is pretty important in the summer and especially with Black on Black. Thanks.
SC trip! :(

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
what has service said when you called them?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi Erik,
I took delivery of a Dual Motor M3 on Friday 8/24 mid day. On Monday 8/27 mid day (so like 3 days and 60 miles later) my Climate Control stopped working. Called Service; we did the screen reset and even did a full power off of the car...nothing helped. I got a call from service this morning after I made a service appointment ( a week + out). This is a firmware issue and the fix is scheduled for " mid September". In the meantime its 95 degrees F and 60 % humidity here in Chicago. They are working to see if they can get me a loaner...sounds like it will be an Enterprise Rental vs. a Tesla.

plankeye

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi Erik,
I took delivery of a Dual Motor M3 on Friday 8/24 mid day. On Monday 8/27 mid day (so like 3 days and 60 miles later) my Climate Control stopped working. Called Service; we did the screen reset and even did a full power off of the car...nothing helped. I got a call from service this morning after I made a service appointment ( a week + out). This is a firmware issue and the fix is scheduled for " mid September". In the meantime its 95 degrees F and 60 % humidity here in Chicago. They are working to see if they can get me a loaner...sounds like it will be an Enterprise Rental vs. a Tesla.
How can that be when we all (most) have the same software and most don't have this issue???

simpsonhomer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same thing happened to me less than a week after taking delivery of my Model 3 Dual Motor. Car indicates that climate control is running but fan and compressor are not actually running. Climate control doesn't work regardless of auto or manual mode or whether it's turned on/off via the app. I do hear the motors moving the vents when I adjust them (but fan and everything else remains off). Heat index today was 105 degrees so it was very bad timing for the AC to suddenly stop working.

Tried to soft reset and hard reset to no avail. Worked with technician over the phone but nothing worked. Made appointment for service but it will be an extremely hot few days until then.

I'm on firmware 2018.32.2 3817fdd. I see that 2018.32.3 was just released and hope that it fixes this problem.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm on the same firmware version as simpsonhomer. It's also weird that M3 has been in production for over a year but this problem just surfaced over the last week or so.

On other forums I've seen posts that say M3 has no A/C when cabin temp is high so there is certainly something funky going on with Climate Control

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I do hear the motors moving the vents when I adjust them (but fan and everything else remains off).
Old fart piping in here: it almost sounds like a bad ground to the motor for the actual fan that pushes the air into the pax compartment.

If someone is going to a SC to have this addressed and all they are telling you is software fixes (but you have to wait while it is sorted out), perhaps a simple continuity check on the circuit/ground that feeds the pax compartment HVAC fan.

Stranger things have happened......

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Same here! Took delivery aug 11, have had 3 ac failures since. Hard reboots fix it, BUT only after letting the car sit for like 5 hours the ac magically works. So I have had to reboot literally once a week. My SC is 3 hours away and Tesla refuses to send out a mobile ranger and expects me to drive it in. I’m torn between waiting for a “firmware update” that hopefully fixes it or driving 3 hours. Advice? Anyone think it’s an actual firmware issue? Anyone actually visit a SCwith this issue?

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Hard reboots fix it, BUT only after letting the car sit for like 5 hours the ac magically works.
Intermittent electrical problems are a real PITA.

The more folks are describing the symptoms, the more it sounds like a "mechanical" fix versus a "software" fix.....but who knows?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The more folks are describing the symptoms, the more it sounds like a "mechanical" fix versus a "software" fix.....but who knows?
I just talked to a guy, took delivery aug 11, ac went out aug 14th. Actually took car to service center, and the SC did not replace anything: all they did was say “firmware issue” and apparently (and this is exactly what was said) inserted a custom firmware code into the car to address a louver issue to keep the louvers open” and this is until update 35 comes out in 2 weeks which will
Fix the ac issues. So there you go, nothing was touched on the car and the Sc had it for 2 weeks

simpsonhomer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This might be completely anecdotal, but all the reported cars I've seen with this problem were Dual Motor AWD versions of the Model 3. Perhaps the A/C unit is different in the Dual Motor versions—maybe more compact and/or shaped differently to fit next to the front motor.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
This might be completely anecdotal, but all the reported cars I've seen with this problem were Dual Motor AWD versions of the Model 3. Perhaps the A/C unit is different in the Dual Motor versions—maybe more compact and/or shaped differently to fit next to the front motor.
Mine is a RWD model 3 and so was the guy I spoke with who took his to a SC. When reboot fixes it? Is it temporary for you guys as it is for me? Lasts about 6 days until I got to reboot. And does it
Fix as soon as reboot comes back?’ I have to wait a couple hours

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I just talked to a guy, took delivery aug 11, ac went out aug 14th. Actually took car to service center, and the SC did not replace anything: all they did was say “firmware issue” and apparently (and this is exactly what was said) inserted a custom firmware code into the car to address a louver issue to keep the louvers open” and this is until update 35 comes out in 2 weeks which will
Fix the ac issues. So there you go, nothing was touched on the car and the Sc had it for 2 weeks
Interesting.

It's odd that it is not fleet wide since a firmware update is solving the issue in that situation.

Of course, I know nothing about software except it ticks me off when it is not doing what it is supposed to do......

........or it is operating in accordance with manufacturers specifications but said specifications are illogical :confused:

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update 8/29 pm
Highland Park IL Service center called around Noon and said they can try a hard reboot of the climate control system: I'm up and running again ( Service took about 10 minutes)

Service Forman Mike says that should hold me until the firmware update. If not they will do it again Service invoice states: Performed BCM HVAC module reset. Hope that helps others

simpsonhomer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update 8/29 pm
Highland Park IL Service center called around Noon and said they can try a hard reboot of the climate control system: I'm up and running again ( Service took about 10 minutes)
That's great and sounds promising for others. Just for clarification, was that hard reboot done remotely or did you have to physically take your car in?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Service Forman Mike says that should hold me until the firmware update. If not they will do it again Service invoice states: Performed BCM HVAC module reset. Hope that helps others
For some people the ac comes back on after a few hours of being parked,wonder if the car does some type of self reset.
Thanks for the “BCM HVAC module reset” wording, maybe I can get a mobile ranger to do that (im a 3 hrs drive away from SC for a 15 min reboot isn’t appealing to me)
Also my friend who took in his car to a SC and they didn’t replace anything for this issue, he will send me a copy of his invoice Friday. I’ll share the wording on his invoice here when i get it

Last edited: