Cleaning Windshield

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Put Aquapel on the 3 this weekend. But first I wanted to clay bar the windshield and roof. The problem was the limited access under the wipers as they don’t open all the way. So this is what I came up with. Not elegant but it works.

Attachments

redscott

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Was looking at the same thing, surprised nobody else has figured out a way to hold the wipers up even for a normal full cleaning.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Was looking at the same thing, surprised nobody else has figured out a way to hold the wipers up even for a normal full cleaning.
For a full cleaning, I put the wipers in "service mode" and hold them up with one hand while polishing underneath them. For regular cleaning, I just leave them where they park beneath the visible part of the windshield and clean down to them.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Out of curiosity, anyone having issues getting the windshield interior and back window interior (1) clean and (2) getting access easy enough to the back inside?
The windshield is hard because it is so steeply raked (and therefore deep). For the back glass, I flip down the seats so the headrests are out of the way and it gives me a higher platform to reach all the way to the back.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
The windshield is hard because it is so steeply raked (and therefore deep). For the back glass, I flip down the seats so the headrests are out of the way and it gives me a higher platform to reach all the way to the back.
My wife ordered one of these:

Amazon product
Haven't received it yet but it looks like it's going to make it a lot easier!.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I tried this tool out today. It certainly reaches the entire windshield but the included "cleaner" seems designed to be more of a streak-free finishing cleaner than an actual glass cleaner. There are suction cup marks from the manufacture of the car that I assume consist of a grease, wax or other sealing substance that this cleaner didn't do anything to. The glass looks clean when it dries but you can see the manufacturing residue when the glass fogs. Or when you wipe the Invisible Glass gleaner around on it. And these marks won't go away. I haven't tried anything stronger yet.

Has anyone successfully removed the residue from the manufacture that shows up when the glass fogs?

Defjukie

Country
Country
I tried this tool out today. It certainly reaches the entire windshield but the included "cleaner" seems designed to be more of a streak-free finishing cleaner than an actual glass cleaner. There are suction cup marks from the manufacture of the car that I assume consist of a grease, wax or other sealing substance that this cleaner didn't do anything to. The glass looks clean when it dries but you can see the manufacturing residue when the glass fogs. Or when you wipe the Invisible Glass gleaner around on it. And these marks won't go away. I haven't tried anything stronger yet.

Has anyone successfully removed the residue from the manufacture that shows up when the glass fogs?
I have the same issue with the "ghost" streaks. I see suction cups, square stickers, etc..., but only when it's fogging up a bit. Super annoying, and I've never seen anything like it on my other cars...

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I have the same issue with the "ghost" streaks. I see suction cups, square stickers, etc..., but only when it's fogging up a bit. Super annoying, and I've never seen anything like it on my other cars...
I still haven't tried anything stronger than "Invisible Glass". Has anyone tried anything stronger? I just haven't got around to it yet.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've read where Mr Clean Magic Eraser is the best glass cleaner, although admit I haven't tried it. My 10 month old '18 Chevy Volt had suction cup marks on the windshield that glass cleaner never removed, BUT I rarely used more than a damp microfiber cloth on the inside (tinted) glass. I traded it on my Model 3.

GateFather

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I noticed driving towards the sunrise the day I drove my Model 3 home (11/21) that my front windshield had specs of dust or something on it. Gave the windshield a thorough cleaning last night and this morning driving towards the sunrise again the specs are still there! Im thinking now these specs are inside the glass and not on it. They’re very noticeable in direct sunlight and my OCD kicks into overdrive when I see them. Anyone have a solution (figuration and literally)? Here are some pics of what I’m talking about:

661b1825-939a-49fd-b833-947476b3c01f-jpeg.18976

818ca6ab-22c2-4ad2-9c4a-d263c52c0dd3-jpeg.18977

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
And that glass is clean? Wow! You don't have to be OCD to find that intolerable. Maybe have an auto glass company have a look before approaching Tesla, if that's more convenient.

GateFather

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
And that glass is clean? Wow! You don't have to be OCD to find that intolerable. Maybe have an auto glass company have a look before approaching Tesla, if that's more convenient.
Its very strange they are completely invisible in anything but direct sunlight. The streaks are from my morning drive - other cars kicking up dirt and such. But those specs you see have been there from day one and no matter what I do I cannot get rid of them.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Now you're making me want to drive mine into the sunrise. [edit] Just drove into bright sunlight, mine looks nothing like yours, no pits or spots, clear glass.

Last edited:

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
There are suction cup marks from the manufacture of the car that I assume consist of a grease, wax or other sealing substance that this cleaner didn't do anything to. The glass looks clean when it dries but you can see the manufacturing residue when the glass fogs.
@PNWmisty, did you ever find a solution to this?

Gavyne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) worked great for me, removed the lil squares I saw on the glass.

Perscitus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is sadly fairly common, most dont notice or know what to look for.

It's likely overspray from the factory or any painting done near or on the car.

Inspect your side windows, both windshields etc, you will find more instances of this (especially little back windows, along top of front windshield, front driver/passenger windows near side mirrors

Most visible as you noted/photographed but also on a humid or foggy days, after a wipe down.

Its a real pita to remove. Claybar with goo be gone, 0000 steel wool, Driven Extreme glass cleaner. Little else helps, ask me how I know.

Last edited: