Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Cleaning iron particles from cars shipped by rail

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  MelindaV 
#1 ·
A big issue with rail is iron particles. On a white car you see little yellow/gold dots. Nothing will take it off except a product like Iron-X. I have to use it belt line down and the rear hatch every spring as the main east/west passenger/freight line passes through town. Great product. Yellow dots be gone!

Reactions: JWardell
#2 ·
You will need IronX or Ferrex. but also clay bar or clay towel. You can use one of the mentioned decon gels 3-4 times and still get the red dots which means there is still metal on the surface. You can clay first and then use Ferrex or IronX and you won't see as much of the red dots.

Not sure which areas on the Model 3 (if any) are covered when they are shipped cross country. On the MS/MX its the frunk and rear hatch areas. So the top of the front fenders and tops of the rear quarters usually have a good amount of rail dust.

Reports from one of my detailer/coating guys outside of Fremont say the 3s all have heavy contamination that requires a good amount of claying. The 3 I did here in Atlanta was the same way. This isn't rail dust as it doesn't show up that much with an initial ferrex treatment.

Clay towel (speedy surface prep towel) is the fastest way to remove the heavy contamination. You may notice marring on a solid black Tesla from the clay towel. That would require a light machine polishing to remove. You can test the surface to see if it needs claying by washing the car and then when its wet, take a thin sandwich bag over your fingers and rub the wet surface. You will sort of feel "bumps" and it won't be smooth.

#3 ·
@Bryan@Peachstate Detail I haven't heard of a clay towel, guess I have been away from the detailing forums too long. Can you provide more info and compare to traditional clay bar? Clay used to be a yearly regimen for me but of course it is a pain, would love something that is as effective with less effort.

#4 ·
Reactions: JWardell
#8 ·
I've read numerous posts on cleaning the cars to get spots off of them immediately after delivery. I've bought several new cars in my lifetime, but I've never noticed them needing to be polished/buffed as soon as I took possession....or I would've told the dealer to clean it up before I took delivery.

Do we not expect this issue {if it is an issue} to be corrected at the Delivery Centers as they prepare the cars for delivery? It is, in fact, a $44k vehicle after all, not a Yugo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.