Cleaning Glovebox

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What does everyone use to clean their glovebox exterior? I used the same exact product as I use on the rest of the interior and it appears as if it's scratched somehow.

I added a picture although it might be hard to see unless you have a bright screen. What you see below is me cleaning the glovebox a single time with a microfiber towel and CarGuys Super Cleaner.

mvimg_20181022_161920-jpg.16481

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
All I use on the dark interior items is old cotton black socks with distilled water as the surfactant, followed by a vacuum.

Not recommended for your scenario: On the inevitable (door trim) scuff that appears lighter than the surrounding surface, I've blotted and then immediately rubbed/blended a small daub of black Sharpie that makes it invisible (unless you are specifically looking for it).

YMMV

From your photo, it looks your mishap has also impacted the small chrome strip at the right hand top edge of the glove box door.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've read past reviews for that product I used and it's supposed to work for all interior surfaces. Other M3 owners have given it good reviews so I was very surprised when that happened...

Is it even possible to fix this? Or am I stuck with this eyesore?

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it, as it appears, actual scratches? If so, all you can do is try and hide them.
There is no way they are actual scratches, it just appears that way for some reason - very odd.

For example, I can wipe it with water and it looks great but it dries up and looks like this.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
There is no way they are actual scratches, it just appears that way for some reason - very odd.

For example, I can wipe it with water and it looks great but it dries up and looks like this.
Well, at least it isn't scratched.

In the continuum of force (for cleaning the dark areas of the interior), my next level is alcohol with a white cotton tee shirt followed by a vacuum. YMMV.

ravisorg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My glovebox looked the same too, I never could figure out if it was delivered that way or if I shouldn’t have used something on it. I was at the service center for something else and mentioned mine was scuffed up and I had a new glovebox when I picked the car up.

Two points to my long rambling text:

1) are you sure it wasn’t that way initially? Maybe you didn’t do anything and you just noticed it when you cleaned it.

2) if there are cleaners we need to avoid I want to know too, please.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My glovebox looked the same too, I never could figure out if it was delivered that way or if I shouldn’t have used something on it. I was at the service center for something else and mentioned mine was scuffed up and I had a new glovebox when I picked the car up.

Two points to my long rambling text:

1) are you sure it wasn’t that way initially? Maybe you didn’t do anything and you just noticed it when you cleaned it.

2) if there are cleaners we need to avoid I want to know too, please.
I'm certain it wasn't that way because I'm very OCD when it comes to cleaning my car.

I clean the interior of my car regularly but didn't clean the glovebox until last week because it was always clean. I wiped it down with a new microfiber cloth, let it dry and noticed these "scratches", I immediately freaked out and left it alone.

My initial recommendation is to avoid the product I mentioned when it comes to the glovebox, which is unfortunate because it cleans the rest of the interior perfectly.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, at least it isn't scratched.

In the continuum of force (for cleaning the dark areas of the interior), my next level is alcohol with a white cotton tee shirt followed by a vacuum. YMMV.
I'll give that a shot, guessing you need the vacuum to clean up the remnants of the cotton?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
That looks to me like someone was sitting in your car with their ankle crossed over their other leg. They were so jealous when you wouldn't stop gushing about how wonderful the Model 3 was that they just kept dragging their toe across the face of the glovebox while they gritted their teeth. That's just a guess but it's definitely not from a normal cleaning with a microfiber cloth!

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'll give that a shot, guessing you need the vacuum to clean up the remnants of the cotton?
Correct.

Note: I always start with a vacuum as the dead skin flakes really show up on the interior and no sense wasting effort cleaning something that can be vacuumed up first.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That looks to me like someone was sitting in your car with their ankle crossed over their other leg. They were so jealous when you wouldn't stop gushing about how wonderful the Model 3 was that they just kept dragging their toe across the face of the glovebox while they gritted their teeth. That's just a guess but it's definitely not from a normal cleaning with a microfiber cloth!
Haha I would figure the same but only my wife has sat there and I make sure she never touches anything :)

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I use ONR. Won't leave a residue, hopefully it cleans that product off. I use it as a light cleanup on all interior surfaces and often it use it to clean the whole car. Like said above a diluted mixture of Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) with distilled water should be able to remove it. Then use ONR for regular cleaning.

ER1C8

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
It's weird. It seems like people are having issues with microfiber and the interior. I have stopped used microfiber on the interior. Every I damaged my interior while cleaning story starts with I used a microfiber cloth and xyz cleaner. I have been using seventh generation disposable cleaning wipes that I rinse out with water to delute the natural cleaners. No problems so far. I also try to keep the car clean so I don't have to wash the interior too frequently.

TMK26

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I use the California Mini Duster on my interior surfaces. It seems to work... I don't notice any scratches.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I use ONR. Won't leave a residue, hopefully it cleans that product off.
ONR? "Organic Natural Rain"? "Only Neutral Residues"? "Odor Neutral Remover"? "Original Neutralizing Remover"?

OK, I give up what is "ONR"? Never heard of it. At least not that I remember. Personally, I use IWF unless I've run out, then I use plain AF.

WTF?

sharki831

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you ever get the marks off? Just had this happen to me today and it looks awful. I'm very OCD and it driving me nuts. I just cant believe how many people are having the same problem.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you ever get the marks off? Just had this happen to me today and it looks awful. I'm very OCD and it driving me nuts. I just cant believe how many people are having the same problem.
I’d hardly say this is an issue that “many people” are having. There are 6 or 7 different people who have replied here, half with suggestions on cleaners, not saying they have the same issue.