Chrome Trim for a Model Y

MGMagnette

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I just got the VIN for my model Y and the only thing I don't care for is the blacked out trim. I'd rather have chrome. Does anyone know how much of the trim from a model 3 fits a model Y? I'm pretty sure the door handles and front fender camera hoods will fit, but I'm wondering if the trim at the top of the doors will work as well. I will likely have to wait until I can get a set of the trim around the windows from wrecked Model Ys to get the rest of the trim chromed, but I think a Model Y with chrome trim will stand out in the crowd. And I'm an old guy who grew up liking chrome.

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Reactions: 1 person

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Changing to the real chrome trim will be VERY expensive. You'll not only have to get all the trim pieces but also new mirrors and have the back quarter glass pieces changed as the trim is part of the glass. If I was to hazard a guess it would be $3000 plus the labor to change out the rear glass.

Moral of the story: get a vinyl wrap instead. Call on TeslaBros or NikolaPro to make you a set for the Y in chrome vinyl. I have my Model 3 blacked out with their kits and it's holding up very well even after 2 winters so far. Any pieces that get damaged are easily replaced.

kenroginski

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Hi - I really hate the black trim especially on a black car. Something about a black car with chrome looks very classy and fits with the cost of the vehicle. I contacted a custom shop about wrapping the trim with fake chrome but was told they can't do it with the coating that tesla puts on the trim - it will not hold up. Very disappointed.

MGMagnette

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I found the same thing from a shop near me. I'm still looking for Model 3 door handles to start the transformation. Then as MYs start getting wrecked, I'll grab trim until I have a full set to send to a plater to chrome.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I found the same thing from a shop near me. I'm still looking for Model 3 door handles to start the transformation. Then as MYs start getting wrecked, I'll grab trim until I have a full set to send to a plater to chrome.
I think this is a good strategy. I wish I would’ve bought more parts in the early model 3 days. I should’ve picked up an extra set of seats for when my dogs wear mine out. I probably could’ve bought a spare front bumper for the price of protective film. What I noticed was in the early days the prices are very attractive because there’s not as much of a demand. Most people with model Ys don’t need replacement parts at this point. Love the MG by the way

PNWLeccy

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I found this picture where they used a 3m vinyl on the trim that comes close to the look of chrome trim (satin white aluminum). I think it came out looking pretty good.
1618983004709.jpg

Reactions: garsh

MGMagnette

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I think this is a good strategy. I wish I would’ve bought more parts in the early model 3 days. I should’ve picked up an extra set of seats for when my dogs wear mine out. I probably could’ve bought a spare front bumper for the price of protective film. What I noticed was in the early days the prices are very attractive because there’s not as much of a demand. Most people with model Ys don’t need replacement parts at this point. Love the MG by the way
You don't see many ZA Magnettes around. I'm trying to finish its restoration.

MGMagnette

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
The MG is my 1956 ZA Magnette. Most people think MG only made two seat sports cars. The Magnette is a 4 door Sports Sedan that I've upgraded with an 1800 MGB engine, 5speed from a Merkur and disk brakes. It keeps up with modern traffic enough to embarrass kids in their hatchbacks. My only regret is not grabbing as many pieces as I could when my Model 3 was totaled out. (Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I have a crazy few months wrapping up work to become a retired guy!)

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have mentioned previously that I just don't understand the craze about chrome delete and blacked out wheels. IMHO, blacked out trim makes the car looks cheap. I trust Franz's timeless design sense when he originally had chrome as the standard design language for Teslas, there is a good reason for having brightwork on cars - creating accents, etc. but I think Franz succumbed to current craze about black trim. - and maybe ultimately, it is also cheaper for Tesla to use black trim instead of chrome so as it helps increase their profit margin. I am very happy with my silver and chrome combo and wouldn't consider anything else. Maybe I am just old fashion :p

Reactions: Dasher

garsh

🐦🦆🦅🐧 🐓🦃🦉🦢🦜
Moderator 📌
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I trust Franz's timeless design sense when he originally had chrome as the standard design language for Teslas, there is a good reason for having brightwork on cars - creating accents, etc. but I think Franz succumbed to current craze about black trim.
I think your assumptions about Franz's tastes in chrome trim are incorrect.

From March 2018:

Franz's custom Model 3:

2-5w0yh1i.jpg