Chirping Sound from Rear

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

ATown312

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Has anyone else experienced this? A high pitched chirping sound coming from the trunk area. I noticed it when I had my rear seats folded flat. It's faintly audible from the cabin when the rear seats are in the normal position. I've recorded a clip with my phone laying in the middle of the trunk (must have flash enabled to listen below).

Anyone have thoughts?

Last edited:

ATown312

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: I did a neutral hill roll, so zero motor output or regen, and still heard the chirping that is proportional to speed (faster speed = faster chirps). Gives me some sense of relief it's not the drive unit and narrows it down to likely something mechanically related to a wheel. A bad wheel bearing would be odd with < 3k miles, but it seems like lead suspect right now.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: I did a neutral hill roll, so zero motor output or regen, and still heard the chirping that is proportional to speed (faster speed = faster chirps). Gives me some sense of relief it's not the drive unit and narrows it down to likely something mechanically related to a wheel. A bad wheel bearing would be odd with < 3k miles, but it seems like lead suspect right now.
We've had reports about the brake pad clips being installed incorrectly, resulting in noise. Maybe it's that?

ATown312

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We've had reports about the brake pad clips being installed incorrectly, resulting in noise. Maybe it's that?
Thanks for the tip! I'll keep this in mind when mobile service ranger comes.

Vin

Country
Country
garsh said:
"We've had reports about the brake pad clips being installed incorrectly, resulting in noise. Maybe it's that?"

I had this issue about a week after delivery. It was the little brake clips on one of the rear wheels that was getting stuck often enough to be annoying. The mobile guy came out and replaced both the entire brake pads at no cost :)
Never heard a squeak since (4 months later)

Last edited:

ATown312

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update: had a mobile service appointment today. The tech fixed a door seal and looked into the noise. His notes from the visit:

Concern: Customer: Chirping noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when driving.
Corrections: Rear Drive Unit Assembly General Diagnosis
Confirmed customer concern, after removed both rear wheels and releasing the parking brake caliper I found that there was alot of resistance in the RR axle when trying to turn it by hand. It did not appear to be the brakes or axle but coming from inside the Drive unit itself. Informed customer it would have to go into service to be diagnosed fully and fixed. I will update the concern for the customers appointment at the service center on friday 10/26.

Long story short, he's never seen an axle have that much resistance coming from the drive unit. It should basically free spin with the brake caliper released and the car jacked up. I'll be making the 3.5hr trek to the closest service center this Friday. The joys of owning a Tesla in Iowa :)... Elon's recent tweet about service center coverage gaps rings so true for me right now.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It sounds like the motor windings/wiring may have come loose. Maybe you'll get a new motor.
If the axle doesn't want to free-spin, but the motor can still provide power, then I would suspect a bad bearing.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
If the axle doesn't want to free-spin, but the motor can still provide power, then I would suspect a bad bearing.
That makes more sense if it really is more of a "chirping" noise. Bearing failure is very rarely the fault of the bearing, most often it didn't get seated correctly and failure follows it being non-concentric with the other parts.

ATown312

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's exactly what the technician's best guess is at this point.. a bearing inside the rear drive unit. With such force required to turn the axel we both wondered if my efficiency was suffering. But after looking at the energy data if anything my Wh/mi has actually improved since this issue cropped up. Averaging 200-210 wh/mi on my city street commute as opposed to closer to 240 previously. Maybe the better efficiency can be explained by my AWD car effectively becoming FWD due to the issue? But I would think any major failure with the rear drive unit would trigger a warning, which there has not been. It's all really strange... will find out more when they can diagnose further at the SC this friday.

Last edited:

ATown312

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had the service center appointment today. Learned a lot with an odd but happy (so far) ending.

Confirmed customer concern, after removed both rear wheels and releasing the parking brake caliper I found that there was alot of resistance in the RR axle when trying to turn it by hand. It did not appear to be the brakes or axle but coming from inside the Drive unit itself.
Back to this.. service center explained that the rear axle being resistant to turning when the car is in an off state is completely normal due to the M3 having a permanent magnet motor in the rear. The mobile tech was mistaken thinking was an issue. He was likely expecting the behavior of an axle that is connected to an induction motor, which is used in model S/X and the model 3 front motor, which will free spin.

As for the chirping sound, the service center acknowledged the sound at arrival. The very first thing they want to try was to update my firmware to the latest version they had available so they pushed 40.1 to the car. I was skeptical it would make any difference.. but no joke we were unable to replicate the issue afterward. Frankly, I still don't know if/how it fixed it. I drove the 3.5 hours home and didn't hear a single instance of the chirp (which could be constantly heard before). TBD if the issue crops up again but as of now I'm a damn happy camper.

Angrew

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a chirping noise over bumps that I couldn't figure out.

Turns out the rubber stoppers on the trunk lid weren't out far enough.

So what was happening is that the hinge has a lower spot that was running in the bolt holding the hinge to the car itself.

Attachments