Chipped Paint on Delivery - Options

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Dschiller

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I picked up my blue Model 3 yesterday (woot woot!) and there was a small (half the size of a grain of rice) chip in the front passenger door. It was near the mirror and obvious enough to bother me, especially considering I’m going to put a ceramic coating on the car. They tried to fix it with touch up paint, but they didn’t do a good job and that made it look worse. They offered to sand large areas of the door and front panel and re-paint; they said it would match “almost 100%”. This sounds was too risky to me (do you agree?). Instead I’m going to bring the car in and they said they would sand down the over applied touch-up paint. I suppose I’ll hope they can get it “good enough,” but what would you do? Any other options I should explore with Tesla? They should protect the cars in transport and somehow compensate me if they can’t correct this.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They offered to sand large areas of the door and front panel and re-paint; they said it would match “almost 100%”.
As long as they're having an actual body shop perform this work instead of the delivery center personnel themselves trying to do this, then this is the correct way to fix paint issues.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This happened with my M3 on the front bumper. Took it to a service center, they are sending to a body shop for repainting the entire front bumper. Assured me it would match identical. Driving a loaner now, should be finished next week will let you know how it turned out.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ok I had a similar scenario. There were three flaws in my paint that resulted in the rear bumper and both quarter panels being painted. They also had to blend in the trunk lid. Make sure that you scan your entire car after you get it fixed before you leave the service center. They scratched my glass roof so now that needs replaced. Also my glass had some clearcoat overspray on it so the detailer I used (who was amazing) had to clay bar all my glass to get them clean because I saw a haze and tried washing them and it just made it worse. Anyway make sure you check everything with a fine tooth come after getting it back from the body shop. Overall the paint job looks just like factory and matches perfect. Just a lot of other issues associated with the job.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had some paint imperfections handled by Tesla's certified third party body shop and the end result was fantastic. This will of course vary by body shop, but I would hope that they're each held to a high standard.