Cherry Hill, NJ delivery-mixed feelings

C141medic

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Whew. Just picked up my M3. First and foremost I want to say that the NJ Cherry Hill staff were excellent. There were M3’s everywhere and they were working very hard to get everyone taken care of. I also love driving the car. I wanted so much to be able to post in the “my delivery and car was perfect” thread but unfortunately I’m unable to.
The issues, in my opinion, are not major but very frustrating nevertheless considering I now have to bring the brand new car back for body/paint work. The car had been delivered since last Thursday and I wish they would’ve called me and given me the option to delay delivery while they had the issues fixed. I’m sure they’ll take care of things but I’m also apprehensive about work being done by the body shop and getting the car back with new issues.
So the issues are:
1. Bumper paint scratches and clear coat problem. Almost looks like a blemish.
2. Deep scratch and dent in the driver door jamb area. (have no idea how that happened)
3. Roof glass looks like it may have cracks towards the edges.
4. Dimple/dent drivers side/rear door which I discovered as I was getting ready to pull out.
5. Wheel not center and slightly to the right.

Despite all these issues I accepted the car and plan on bringing it to my detailer tomorrow for advice. I’m leaning towards that everything will be repairable satisfactorily but I sure wish that I didn’t have to go there.

37f4e39c-c0fd-4a5f-8a2f-e3f4ce4471c5-jpeg.14679
d8e22f60-0490-4c90-a5af-67aaf3057431-jpeg.14680
f889ae95-8e00-4552-8b11-f1ce49d4e14b-jpeg.14681
275c5875-fe13-4655-a314-470569d1ba80-jpeg.14682

systemBuilder

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can definitely see that scratch near the door kick-plate. I couldn't see the (frunk?) imperfection. Is that line in your sunroof a flaw in the solar coating of the roof, a scratch, or a crack? If it's either of the two earlier problems, I'd probably let it go. Remember that Tesla is being held under an ultra- microscope by the other car companies who want it to fail, and fail quickly, especially german and american luxury car makes. I never inspected a car as closely as I inspected our tesla, and found nothing. Let us know how it goes during the assessment tomorrow - good luck!

C141medic

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update:

Just returned from my detailer. So, he couldn’t believe that they would release a vehicle without having repaired the major scratch/scrape and dent in the drivers door jamb. He also examined the rest of the vehicle thoroughly and saw pretty much the same things I saw and indicated there wasn’t anything else major. I think the store definitely could’ve been proactive and at least contacted me to see what I wanted to do, but I guess with all the communication issues that’s the way it is for now. Bottom line is I’m keeping the car because I can live with the issues since they’re not impossible to fix and my detailer said he’s seen worse issues. Now I have to wait for Tesla body shop to repair these issues and unfortunately won’t be able to have my PPF until then. I’ll update as things progress.

So far LOVE the car. Also tried EAP and it’s absolutely the coolest. Only one time did it wake me up when it went from 65 to 45 going under a big overpass. That was fun and I’m glad I didn’t have my Starbucks macchiato in my hand because it would’ve been all over my brand new car.

C141medic

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can definitely see that scratch near the door kick-plate. I couldn't see the (frunk?) imperfection. Is that line in your sunroof a flaw in the solar coating of the roof, a scratch, or a crack? If it's either of the two earlier problems, I'd probably let it go. Remember that Tesla is being held under an ultra- microscope by the other car companies who want it to fail, and fail quickly, especially german and american luxury car makes. I never inspected a car as closely as I inspected our tesla, and found nothing. Let us know how it goes during the assessment tomorrow - good luck!
Thanks. The detailer thought it may be delaminating or perhaps there wasn’t an even amount of coating applied to the edges of the glass. The “blemish” is on the upper edge of the frunk and he said that it may be below the clear coat.

systemBuilder

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks. The detailer thought it may be delaminating or perhaps there wasn’t an even amount of coating applied to the edges of the glass. The “blemish” is on the upper edge of the frunk and he said that it may be below the clear coat.
By the way, my sympathies. I think my car was also repaired by tesla before delivery because I found some overspray on the chrome trim on the left rear window. I am certain they will upgrade your paint finish to an awesome perfect car, very very soon :) My wife is terrified to drive our car because of the price and the paint finish being perfect, I guess if they are going to refinish some of your panels maybe you can totally relax about keeping them perfect! :) :) (blessing in disguise?)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also tried EAP and it’s absolutely the coolest. Only one time did it wake me up when it went from 65 to 45 going under a big overpass.
Can you tell us what version of software your car had when this happened?

I was under the impression that some of the latest builds had fixed some of these "overpass slowdown" issues.

C141medic

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I was under the impression that some of the latest builds had fixed some of these "overpass slowdown" issues.
Sure. Mine is 2018.34.1 which I believe is the one immediately preceding the latest one (2018.36.1?). I also have just about 100 miles on the car so I wonder if it’s possible that it’s not 100% calibrated yet?

Last edited:

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I had this happen to me on Saturday, one day after delivery. I'm not sure if the car auto-updates software (haven't yet read the manual) but I'm currently on 2018.34.1 3dd3072 so I assume I was on that version on Saturday also.

That was quite the shock when it happened. Slowed right down for no reason.

I also had it not brake coming up to a light (one of those weird intersections in the middle of a highway) at night on Friday. I know I should have disengaged EAP coming up to the light but still kind of expected it to at least slow down on its own. Had to brake somewhat hard (though nowhere close to a collision by any means). I'm going to chalk that one up to my fault, though.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also had it not brake coming up to a light (one of those weird intersections in the middle of a highway) at night on Friday. I know I should have disengaged EAP coming up to the light but still kind of expected it to at least slow down on its own. Had to brake somewhat hard (though nowhere close to a collision by any means). I'm going to chalk that one up to my fault, though.
Apologies if you are already aware of this, but I want to reply in case you or anybody else is not.
  1. Autopilot does not detect traffic lights. At all. It will not slow down or stop for them at all. But maybe you were implying that there were already cars stopped at the light in front of you, in which case...
  2. Autopilot Emergency Braking does NOT do a good job of detecting stopped vehicles. It does pretty well detecting moving vehicles and braking for them. But if a vehicle is completely motionless with respect to the surroundings, Autopilot will more often than not happily drive right into it.
Please be aware of these limitations when using Autopilot. Treat it as fancy cruise control. Don't count on it having any smarts.

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Apologies if you are already aware of this, but I want to reply in case you or anybody else is not.
  1. Autopilot does not detect traffic lights. At all. It will not slow down or stop for them at all. But maybe you were implying that there were already cars stopped at the light in front of you, in which case...
  2. Autopilot Emergency Braking does NOT do a good job of detecting stopped vehicles. It does pretty well detecting moving vehicles and braking for them. But if a vehicle is completely motionless with respect to the surroundings, Autopilot will more often than not happily drive right into it.
Please be aware of these limitations when using Autopilot. Treat it as fancy cruise control. Don't count on it having any smarts.
I knew about the lights, and yes there were already cars stopped.

As for #2 I wasn't so much expecting emergency braking (I braked manually), but I did expect EAP to see the stopped cars and slow down accordingly.

I definitely don't expect magic out of it, but now as I drive it more and more I'm finding where they are and adjusting my usage accordingly. For example, theres an HOV off-ramp I drive past on my way to work. The car drifts towards the off-ramp before deciding to stay on the freeway at the very last second. It's a bit jarring so I either make sure I'm in the right-hand lane, or ensure EAP is off. I know the car will eventually make the right choice but I don't like the jarring last second calculation!

Here's the off-ramp I'm talking about.
screen-shot-2018-09-19-at-10-39-28-am-png.14794

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...but I did expect EAP to see the stopped cars and slow down accordingly.
That catches a lot of people off-guard, which is why I feel the need to point this out as often as possible. It seems counter-intuitive that Autopilot can't detect stopped cars, and unfortunately several Tesla owners find this out the hard way.

Even worse, Autopilot Emergency Braking doesn't always correctly detect vehicles that are transitioning into your lane. So be careful, and don't trust it to save you from an accident.

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That catches a lot of people off-guard, which is why I feel the need to point this out as often as possible. It seems counter-intuitive that Autopilot can't detect stopped cars, and unfortunately several Tesla owners find this out the hard way.

Even worse, Autopilot Emergency Braking doesn't always correctly detect vehicles that are transitioning into your lane. So be careful, and don't trust it to save you from an accident.

All very good points to know! Thank you!

C141medic

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update:

Well, my car is still in the shop as of today (dropped it off at the SC 9/27-exactly 10 days after delivery). As expected, the majority of the repairs are body/paint related so it’s taking a little bit of time. And I get the pleasure of my first car payment next week with having only put a little over a 100 miles on my new vehicle before it went in for repairs. The Cherry Hill location has been excellent in keeping me updated (although I did have to call them twice for an update).

Just FYI to others getting similar repairs, it’s okay to let the SC know exactly how you want the repairs to proceed. In my case, I informed the SC that I do not under any circumstances want a Bondo repair to my door sill. They agreed and forwarded my concerns to the outside body shop (that’s one of the reasons it’s taking a little longer because they’re actually “banging out” the dent). I’m hoping for the best and will update with pictures once my M3 is released from the shop.

C141medic

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Before

After

Gap bumper & weather strip

Windshield scratch

Final delivery repairs update:

Picked car up 10/10. Repairs took longer than I’ve actually been able to drive the car (in shop from 9/27-10/10). Anyway, they were able to address the majority of the issues with good results, with a few exceptions.

The dent/gouge in the door sill repaired perfectly however they (body shop/ SC - not sure) gave me a scratch/chip around the same area as the door sill repair, wtf? The gap between the bumper area and weather stripping apparently “within specs.” Bumper and minor door ding repaired perfectly. The roof glass was not touched apparently because there’s nothing wrong with it. However it’s noted on the due bill and if it gets worse I’ll address it at a later time.

I also noticed today a 1” scratch on the front windshield. I’m going to make the SC aware of it however I think I’ll just take care of it myself at this point. Overall I’m very happy with the outcome of the repairs and the customer service at the Cherry Hill location. I’m just going to drive my new car for a while before I bring it back for them to fix the scratch. I’m also glad I didn’t reject the car despite these issues upon delivery.