Checking my electric bills, and...

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok so now that I’ve had the car for 2 months, let’s take a look at my electric bills and see what we see...

March 2018 - 1441 kWh
March 2017 - 1224 kWh

Up 10 kWh/day
Up $23.31 on my bill

I’m not sure that’s enough of an exact science of course as there are many factors on anyone’s electrical bill.

For fun though, in one month I drive ~1,600 miles and if we extrapolate that those miles cost me $23.31, then I paid $0.015 per mile driven. In an ICE getting 25 MPG and gas price of $2.899/gallon that same 1,600 miles would cost $185.54 or $0.116 per mile.

Driving electric for the win!!

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok so now that I’ve had the car for 2 months, let’s take a look at my electric bills and see what we see...

March 2018 - 1441 kWh
March 2017 - 1224 kWh

Up 10 kWh/day
Up $23.31 on my bill

I’m not sure that’s enough of an exact science of course as there are many factors on anyone’s electrical bill.

For fun though, in one month I drive ~1,600 miles and if we extrapolate that those miles cost me $23.31, then I paid $0.015 per mile driven. In an ICE getting 25 MPG and gas price of $2.899/gallon that same 1,600 miles would cost $185.54 or $0.116 per mile.

That equates to 135 Watt-hrs per mile. Pretty impressive. You should be able to get 555 miles per charge!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That equates to 135 Watt-hrs per mile. Pretty impressive. You should be able to get 555 miles per charge!
Ahh that’s taking it to the next level and clearly I’m not getting that kind of efficiency so you poked a hole in my weak assumptions ;)

I will check the trip computer today since I haven’t reset it since getting the car to see what it uncovers!

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I honestly didn't even notice when I got the Leaf. My bill varied between 130-150 and continued to do the same. I got into cryptomining earlier this year and it lowered my costs even more as I used to pay 15C/KWH (taxes, delivery etc are in that number). Now I pay 12.9.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
For Europeans (actually mostly the French...) the (previous!!) owner of Red Dragon shares that a full charge overnight at home would cost about €2 in electricity... Two euros?!?! That’s like 30+ times less than a tank of gas for an equivalent car... :cool:

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ahh that’s taking it to the next level and clearly I’m not getting that kind of efficiency so you poked a hole in my weak assumptions ;)

I will check the trip computer today since I haven’t reset it since getting the car to see what it uncovers!
Still, comforting to know that your electric bill did not have an unexpected, or unreasonable spike with the addition of your model 3.

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the Sense monitor installed last month (goes in the electrical panel), and it learns electricity usage over a period of time by recognizing the unique signature of power consumption by different devices in the house. After the first week, it only knew about 'Always On' (your steady state use) and 'Other' (everything else). This week, the set of known devices is up to about 20 (including dish washer, dryer, HVAC, coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave, and some less well identified called motor 1, 2, 3 and heater 1, 2, etc.) All-in-all it has been really useful in understanding enery usage, and I expect when I get my Model 3 it will give me a good picture of how much electricity it uses. I highly recommend it (costs $300 plus installation - 1/2 hour for a qualified electrician).

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

But you have to subtract supercharging and Destination Charging and any other Free Range charging

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the Sense monitor installed last month (goes in the electrical panel), and it learns electricity usage over a period of time by recognizing the unique signature of power consumption by different devices in the house. After the first week, it only knew about 'Always On' (your steady state use) and 'Other' (everything else). This week, the set of known devices is up to about 20 (including dish washer, dryer, HVAC, coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave, and some less well identified called motor 1, 2, 3 and heater 1, 2, etc.) All-in-all it has been really useful in understanding enery usage, and I expect when I get my Model 3 it will give me a good picture of how much electricity it uses. I highly recommend it (costs $300 plus installation - 1/2 hour for a qualified electrician).
Do you have a link for this device?

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the Sense monitor installed last month (goes in the electrical panel), and it learns electricity usage over a period of time by recognizing the unique signature of power consumption by different devices in the house. I highly recommend it (costs $300 plus installation - 1/2 hour for a qualified electrician).
It's cool and all, but at that cost is like a year-and-a-half of Model 3 charging per my estimates and typical mileage (9,000 per year).

There doesn't seem to be any "cheap" & accurate alternatives really, as a physical meter/monitor will run a few hundred as well with install. :(

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's cool and all, but at that cost is like a year-and-a-half of Model 3 charging per my estimates and typical mileage (9,000 per year).

There doesn't seem to be any "cheap" & accurate alternatives really, as a physical meter/monitor will run a few hundred as well with install. :(
Yeah, I agree. I did it partly because I'm a techy and it seemed really cool to me. Plus it's really cool to show people. :)

MartyF

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

March 2018 - 1441 kWh
March 2017 - 1224 kWh

Up 10 kWh/day
Up $23.31 on my bill

Thanks SoFlaModel3 for the useful information. Also, greetings from SW Florida. I was recently invited to configure, but am waiting for the Dual Motor. When that’s available, I intend to join the MSM club.

Last edited:

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Yeah too much for me to do for gee whiz. But is there a product that monitors one outlet? Maybe something that goes between my 240V outlet and the plug?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah too much for me to do for gee whiz. But is there a product that monitors one outlet? Maybe something that goes between my 240V outlet and the plug?
Basically this, but for a 240... not sure.

Wemo Insight Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring