Cheapest 18" wheel set for winter tire use?

EvanVanVan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any suggestions on a cheap set of wheels I can use as a spare set for winter tires? Looks aren't really important since I plan to hide them under the aero caps. I see cheap wheels on amazon, but I don't know about other factors such as weight. I'm assuming that has some affect on range, etc.

Thanks

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lots tire discussions on here already about that. Please use the search function thanks.

EvanVanVan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did, didn't see any regarding the absolute cheapest possible option. Sorry for inflating your thread count.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any suggestions on a cheap set of wheels I can use as a spare set for winter tires? Looks aren't really important since I plan to hide them under the aero caps.
Tire Rack has a bunch of 18" wheels that fit a Model 3 at about $600 for a set of four. The nice thing about Tire Rack is that you'll know that they'll fit the car. Amazon is notoriously bad at correctly stating whether or not something will fit your car.

But if you're planning on putting the aero caps on, then you need the OEM 18" wheels. The caps won't attach to any other kind of wheel. It looks like people are selling sets of 4 on ebay for about $1000.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Any suggestions on a cheap set of wheels I can use as a spare set for winter tires? Looks aren't really important since I plan to hide them under the aero caps. I see cheap wheels on amazon, but I don't know about other factors such as weight. I'm assuming that has some affect on range, etc.

Thanks
I don’t think the aero covers easily fit onto just any wheel, so not sure how that would be an option to cover other wheels. Also, as a second set of rims also need TPMS, and that itself can be a notable adder to the cost, I would think the cheapest route may be to find someone selling their aero wheels plus TPMS.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
tirerack
getyourwheels
evtuning
all great options for a winter setup (wheels and tires) price is really up to you. but like others have said, the aeros caps will NOT fit on anything but the stock rim. you could always buy a set of SUMMER wheels and use the aero wheels as your winter setup, just buy tires...

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really wish they offered an 18” set for the performance. I’m still wary of ordering from tirerack. They’re asking $1800+ for a set of wheels/tires and I’m worried I’ll run into issues returning them if it doesn’t fit.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really wish they offered an 18” set for the performance. I’m still wary of ordering from tirerack. They’re asking $1800+ for a set of wheels/tires and I’m worried I’ll run into issues returning them if it doesn’t fit.
You can always get the FastWheels EV01 in 18". @Mad Hungarian guarantees that it will fit the Performance.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

dsgerbc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks. You know if they include any TPMS sensors and/or mount/align the tires to the wheels. I have a set of the EV01+ and Michelin’s in the cart for a little over $2k. I’d jump on that, but if none of that is included the price will likely jump up a lot.
I have not seen that option. I'd give them a call, in all likelihood they can install some universal TPMS sensors known to work with the Model 3 for an extra hundred or two.

Mad Hungarian

Resident M3OC Wheel/Tire Guru
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks. You know if they include any TPMS sensors and/or mount/align the tires to the wheels. I have a set of the EV01+ and Michelin’s in the cart for a little over $2k. I’d jump on that, but if none of that is included the price will likely jump up a lot.
I have not seen that option. I'd give them a call, in all likelihood they can install some universal TPMS sensors known to work with the Model 3 for an extra hundred or two.
Correct, Canada Wheels can ship you a complete mounted/balanced package with compatible TPMS sensors.
Note however that alignment isn't something that's done to the wheels and tires themselves, that's a series of adjustments done to the car's suspension and steering components that in turn assures your wheels and tires are pointed in the right direction. So you need to bring your car to a shop that performs that service.

Oyster Bait

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you have a Discount Tire locally, they may have a number of inexpensive wheel choices that may serve. Also, there was a guy selling programmed TPMS sensors inexpensively a while ago who may still be in business. Search is your friend. If you buy wheels and tires (and road hazard insurance?) from Discount Tire they may not object to your "cheaping out" on the TPMSs to save a Benjamin or so.

This is substantially my intention for a set of 18s to preserve my 20s on my P3D+. Haven't taken action yet.

YMMV