Cheap, DIY Jack Lifting Pads

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The jack points for a Tesla Model 3 are kind of small, formed of smooth metal, and very, very close to the body-colored rocker panels that curve underneath. So to protect those rocker panels from getting gouged or scratched, you can buy or make jack lifting pads. People have shared a couple of DIY designs based on hockey pucks (here and here), and there are sets for sale on ebay. But I want to share a very inexpensive, very easy DIY jack lifting pad.

Materials:
  • A piece of 2x4, about 2.5" long. Length isn't too important.
  • A piece of 1" dowel rod, 3/4" long.
  • A screw, about 1.5" long
  • Electrical tape, 3/4" wide.
Drill a hole in the middle of the dowel rod, large enough for the screw to pass through. Then when you screw it into the 2x4, it will pull together tightly. Wrap one layer of electrical tape around the piece of dowel rod. The electrical tape gives it enough friction to stay in the car after insertion.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
... But I want to share a very inexpensive, very easy DIY jack lifting pad.
Thanks for posting this. I just can't bring myself to pay $100 for 4 jack pads for my $70,000 car. :)

Here's my version, using about $6 worth of wood. The 1-inch dowel fits nicely in the Model 3 lifting holes.

BTW, I need better tools. The Sawzall is great at demolition, not as great for detail work. :)

20181209_193650-jpg.18912

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am not sure that I would trust a piece of softwood not to split under the pressure. These cars are heavy!
They're not any heavier than other, similar cars, and much lighter than any truck. I've always used pieces of 2x4 as "padding" when lifting vehicles (including trucks). The only time I've had any start to crack is if I placed it under a metal edge. With a smooth contact point like the Model 3s, I don't expect to have any issues.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They're not any heavier than other, similar cars, and much lighter than any truck. I've always used pieces of 2x4 as "padding" when lifting vehicles (including trucks). The only time I've had any start to crack is if I placed it under a metal edge. With a smooth contact point like the Model 3s, I don't expect to have any issues.
Entire homes are built with immense points loads on 2x4's. One fourth of the weight of this little car cannot possibly break a 2x4 unless the 2x4 already has a defect.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just made and had nearby tire shop use these -- thanks to this youtuber!

4 hockey pucks, 4 rubber stoppers, and 4 screws 1 1/4"

I haven't rotated my tires ever (23750mi), and noticed that I was already to the wear bars. The rears were overinflated, and I never got alignment done when I had lowering springs installed, so bad on me. The fronts alignment had toe way off since I never got alignment after messing with suspension, so the fronts were looking rough as well.

Got 4 new tires and plan to keep a better eye on them and rotate every 6k or so, for free at the shop that installed the tires.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just made a set of these myself. I'm in Canada, so if you're buying from Amazon.ca the best items to get (at the moment) are:

1x Hockey Pucks (6 Pack)
2x Sliding Door Bumper (2 Pack)

Total cost was $23.50 + tax.

The bumper packs come with screws that are adequate, but if you have any 1" No. 6 screws around that would be a better choice. You may also want to trim the rounded tops off the bumpers with a hacksaw blade (there's a mark around the top you can use as a guide) to get a better fit.

The 6 pack of pucks is cheaper than the 4 pack mentioned in the above video, and the sliding door bumpers are much cheaper than the rubber stoppers suggested in the video since a couple of Amazon Marketplace vendors have them priced above $30+ at the moment. As an added bonus, you can use the puck bag to keep these together in the car.

I've attached a pic of the final result.

Attachments

Last edited:

HvyMtlChaos

Country
Country
@swimgeek & @swotam thanks for those links and content. FYI for anyone the .ca amazon links can be changed to .com and they work for in the US. The price for the pucks is $.25 more but you get 6 instead of 4 and its prime shipping so that's what I went with along with the stoppers from the video.

I'm gonna have my car in for service on a few warranty things soon so I'll see if Tesla is willing to rotate my tires for free along with those things, but if not or if they don't wanna deal with my aftermarket lug nuts and locks (that I also don't want air tools used on b/c they could mar the black finish) then I'll be rotating them myself and these are just good to have anyway.