Charging via a Gas Generator

wackojacko

Country
Country
So I was testing out my Transfer Switch on my breaker panel. I can plug in my gas generator (outside of course) and run up to 6 breakers in case of a power outage. But I decided to test charging both the Model3 LR and our 2018 Leaf.

I used the regular 120V plug on the generator and both car charged no problem, even both at the same time. The generator is not modified in anyway and I do not have a grounding stick/rod. This was with the mobile charger cables plugged into the generator outlets.

I know it so backwards to use gas to charge, but this is totally for backup, or at least until we have vehicle to grid options.

Just wanted to post as I've seen videos in the past of people not being able to charge, grounding issues, etc. But This worked. I ran it for about 2-3 hours charging the Leaf to test and it charged up 8%, or probably about 4% if it was the Model 3 LR (batteries are about 1-2 ratio)

I have the following generator fyi:
https://www.lowes.ca/product/portab...att-portable-generator-with-oem-engine-819319

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Given the generator's rating of 3550 watts, it should be able to handle two 120v loads, each pulling a maximum sustained 12 amps. That comes to 1440 watts each, or 2880 watts total.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just wanted to post as I've seen videos in the past of people not being able to charge, grounding issues, etc. But This worked. I ran it for about 2-3 hours charging the Leaf to test and it charged up 8%, or probably about 4% if it was the Model 3 LR (batteries are about 1-2 ratio)
not familiar with using power from a generator, but think if you are powering the circuits of your home panel with the generator, using those circuits would be grounded via the home grounding connection. The issue with being un-grounded likely would come from plugging directly into a receptacle on the generator itself.

wackojacko

Country
Country
not familiar with using power from a generator, but think if you are powering the circuits of your home panel with the generator, using those circuits would be grounded via the home grounding connection. The issue with being un-grounded likely would come from plugging directly into a receptacle on the generator itself.
This is correct. But as I said I was plugged in directly to the generator while I was charging both cars.

I just wanted to provide some info as I've seen others have issue with grounding and generators.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is correct. But as I said I was plugged in directly to the generator while I was charging both cars.

I just wanted to provide some info as I've seen others have issue with grounding and generators.
totally misread your original post ;)
but... was the generator still connected to your panel when the car(s) were plugged directly into the generator? it still could be using the panel's ground for anything going thru it.

wackojacko

Country
Country
totally misread your original post ;)
but... was the generator still connected to your panel when the car(s) were plugged directly into the generator? it still could be using the panel's ground for anything going thru it.
No, I really meant the generator was not grounded (I have a Masters in self taught electrical LOL)