Charging to 100% on Level 1?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EvanVanVan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does the slow charging speed of level 1 cause an issue with charging to 100%? Does it count as the car sitting with a nearly full battery for too long? I'm wondering if I can bump it up at home before a road trip.

Thanks

Edit (more direct question): If it takes 10 hours to charge from 92%-100% (guesstimate) on level 1, it's going to be sitting with a 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99% percent charge for a very long time before 100%. Where as Level 2 charging might only take an hour to get from 92%-100%, at level 1 the vehicle is going to be sitting with a nearly full charge for 10 hours before it reaches that point. Is that an issue for the life of the battery?

Last edited:

Bibs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I charged to 100% via level 1 prior to leaving a cabin we stayed at on vacation. It did so just fine, and I adjusted the rate so it would get to 100 just prior to our departure in the morning.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It is okay to charge to 100% if you are going to need it. Just best not to do it all the time.

And if you watch the charge rate, for those last percent, the charging is pretty slow anyway.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Another confirmation. Left my car at a family members house on a trip back in October. Plugged it in to 110 and set it to 80%, it took a couple of days to get up to that level. Calculated what it would take to hit 100% and several hours before we set off to fly home I bumped it up. Hit 100% sometime an hour or two before we got home. Worked out perfect.

EvanVanVan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for the replies, here's some clarification on my question though because my question isn't so much about 100% specifically as it getting to 100% on level 1.

If it takes 10 hours to charge from 92%-100% (guesstimate) on level 1, it's going to be sitting with a 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99% percent charge for a very long time before 100%. Where as Level 2 charging might only take an hour to get from 92%-100%, at level 1 the vehicle is going to be sitting with a nearly full charge for 10 hours before it reaches that point. Is that an issue for the life of the battery?

Thanks

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is that an issue for the life of the battery?
It's not enough of an issue to worry about it.

To prolong battery lifetime, just try not to charge above 90% very often. Doing so occasionally isn't going to make that much of a difference. Even if you do so on a level 2 charger, the charging rate slows down as the battery approaches 100%, so it won't be as much of a difference from L1 charging as you approach 100%.