Charging Station with two outputs

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I received the M3 email, but i'm waiting for the dual motor!

In summer i park my car outside the garage (in the driveway) and in winter i park inside to avoid snow and frost on the car.

I would like to know if this is a thing : I would get a level 2 home charger with two outputs, both outputs will not charge a car at the same time. The charger itself would be near the garage door (inside), there would be a nice trap beside the garage door to let one output in the driveway and the other output would be sitting in the garage(See attached image and laugh at my MS paint skills).

If that kind of charger don't exist do you guys know a way of using a splitter to get two outputs or any other way to make this work?

Thank's!

garage-jpg.8096

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, if this is a trap door, why not just use the 24 foot Tesla Wall Connector and tread it through to the outside when you need it?

But one point. If you do this, you may wanna put it on the other side of the garage where the charge port is for the car. Left rear Tail light.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Well, if this is a trap door, why not just use the 24 foot Tesla Wall Connector and tread it through to the outside when you need it?
Thats right, i dont really need two outputs...

About the connector that you plug in the car (that can be outside). Is it theft safe?

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

About the connector that you plug in the car (that can be outside). Is it theft safe?

If you mount the unit inside the garage with only the cable outside, I would say yes unless someone cuts it off. Plus while the car is locked, the charge handle is locked to the car. But if you use a J1772 connecter like I do, you will need to use the Tesla Adapter that comes with the car. If you do that, then someone could unplug you but your adapter would still be locked.

Now if you put the charger unit itself outside, it may be able to be stolen as the cover comes off and bolted from the inside to the wall. I am sure there are solutions to this however.

At my old house I had the charger mounter on the pillar between the 2 garage doors, but inside the garage. I would sometimes park outside so I made a little cut in the trim at the bottom of the door (and took an inch off the garage door track at the bottom) so I could pass the cord through and still close the door without pinching it. Then I would just plug in. If it wasn't gonna rain while I was gone, I would leave it hanging over the potted plant that was out there. Else I would bring the cable in. Pretty easy with the unit right inside the door. Took no time to do, but if you are gonna use a trap door, it wouldn't be something I would wanna constantly move back and forth. So you could get a Tesla Connector holder from Tesla ($25 us) and mount that outside to hold the handle while not in use.
1022771-00-a_0-jpg.8100

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country

The HPWC is hardwired and although not theft proof, is not easy to take off and has high voltage in it so trying to remove it improperly without shutting off the circuit is really foolish.

In regards to your OP, I will be installing 2 HPWC on the same circuit. They have a communication wire so that up to 4 HPWC can be connected to share one circuit. The advantage to this is that I have a 6 gauge 100 foot run to my garage currently on a NEMA 14-50 charging my X. I don't want to change out this wire or run another circuit to the garage. When more than 1 HPWC is linked, the master is programmed with the maximum Amps available and will share the circuit with the slaves to not exceed the setting. I plan on replacing the NEMA 14-50 with the master HPWC and installing the 2nd HPWC close to the garage door so I can pull the cable to the driveway if necessary.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In regards to your OP, I will be installing 2 HPWC on the same circuit. They have a communication wire so that up to 4 HPWC can be connected to share one circuit.
Yep, this is the correct solution to @Olivier Gariépy 's question, but it is not an inexpensive solution. It has an additional benefit of allowing two vehicles to charge simultaneously at half-power, if that is ever necessary.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, this is the correct solution to @Olivier Gariépy 's question, but it is not an inexpensive solution. It has an additional benefit of allowing two vehicles to charge simultaneously at half-power, if that is ever necessary.
I beg to differ. If he only needs one charger as stated, it would be extremely wasteful to install 2. I currently own a Leaf and the 3. Both get used daily. In fact my son just this morning got his license in the Leaf. And it is never an issue to charge the 2.