Charging rate for X

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So I installed the Tesla Gen2 wall connector for my cousins incoming Model X. Kept telling him how they’re awesome and get you 45 mi per hour of charge. It’s installed with 6awg wire and configured to run at 60A. What’s the rated mph charge rate for an X at that amperage?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
1593228036245.jpeg

According to this table, it is 30 mph for the X.

Reactions: 1 person

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks, I remember seeing that chart but don’t remember where to find it.

Reactions: 1 person

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Considering an X purchase. But with 100KW battery, wondering about SuperCharger charging times vs my M3. Currently, with 300 mile range/75KW battery (under ideal conditions), if I start at 90% SOC and get to a SuperCharger at 20%, I am looking at about 35 mins for a V2 charge (assuming no sharing) or 25-30 mins with a V3 charger to get back to 90%.

If it is an X with a 100KW battery, what are people seeing for charging times, for similar 20% to 90% SOC at V2 and V3 chargers?
Appreciate input from owners who have some feedback on experiences.

• Informative
Reactions: GDN

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
@NR4P, not sure if you are considering a new or used model X with 100 kWh battery. The newest model X’s can take advantage of the 250 kW of the V3 super chargers but older ones can not. I am not sure the time frame in which that changed. My end of 2017 MX has been limited to 150 kW max. That being said, though, after a recent software update I did pull slightly more than 150 kW from a V3.

I have one trip I do a lot and have Teslafi logs for both my M3 and my MX. The short answer on how they compare is that my MX takes 5-10 min longer per stop. Here is a concrete set of data from my 2 SC stops with each car, all 150 kW SCs, trips with pretty similar conditions.

SC1: 2018 M3 19% to 63% in 18 min
2017 MX 19% to 63% in 22 min

SC2: 2018 M3 16% to 77% in 26 min
2017 MX 18% to 70% in 31 min

My current range on the M3 is in 290’s and the MX is about 280 miles, so the % SOC are reasonable comparisons.

• Informative
Reactions: GDN

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@NR4P, not sure if you are considering a new or used model X with 100 kWh battery. The newest model X’s can take advantage of the 250 kW of the V3 super chargers but older ones can not. I am not sure the time frame in which that changed. My end of 2017 MX has been limited to 150 kW max. That being said, though, after a recent software update I did pull slightly more than 150 kW from a V3.

I have one trip I do a lot and have Teslafi logs for both my M3 and my MX. The short answer on how they compare is that my MX takes 5-10 min longer per stop. Here is a concrete set of data from my 2 SC stops with each car, all 150 kW SCs, trips with pretty similar conditions.

SC1: 2018 M3 19% to 63% in 18 min
2017 MX 19% to 63% in 22 min

SC2: 2018 M3 16% to 77% in 26 min
2017 MX 18% to 70% in 31 min

My current range on the M3 is in 290’s and the MX is about 280 miles, so the % SOC are reasonable comparisons.

Nice data, appreciate the share and the details very helpful.
I am considering ordering a MX before end of month as there may be a refresh with unknown features and unknown price changes if any. But the extra charging time for 80% or 90% charge on a monthly long trip is the one downside that I worry about in practice.

Currently 35 mins on M3 LR isn't too bad but 45mins+ may be too bothersome.

For clarity is your 2017 X ,a 90 or 100 kW battery?

Last edited:

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
For clarity is your 2017 X ,a 90 or 100 kW battery?
Mine is a 100D.

Regarding ordering a new one, I say go for it. I’m excited to see what changes the new ones will have. And regarding charging, I think a good bit of the charging speed difference I experience is also the age of my X. I get similar peak kW at V2 chargers as my M3 but it tapers to a lower rate sooner.

Edit: I would also note that the current MX’s have 371 mile range, and I think the soon-to-be announced version will surely top 400 miles. So if you have a specific trip that you are used to needing to charge your M3 to 80%, that might only be needing to get to 60% in the new MX, a faster part of the charging curve.

Reactions: garsh and NR4P

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.