Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Charging port beneath the car

3K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Michael Russo 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I say yes, but that doesn't mean the Model 3 that we get will have it. A future update will get it and we will probably miss out.

Reactions: Badback
#4 ·
If they intend to enable fully autonomous fleet sharing with the year of Model3 then I'd say yes. It's a very elegant solution to the self charging option. The snake would be very expensive I'd imagine and prone to malfunctioning. Seems much simpler to have the call roll into a space and stop at a specific point and connect everything. Could use the existing sensors and cameras to be precisely in the right spot and bluetooth too like was mentioned. If the car launches without it you'll probably have to manually charge it if you're using the Tesla network. I just can't see the snakes being cost effective and reliable longterm.

G
#7 ·
I think the snake will be the primary/preferred solution.
If they can't make it work (which is very unlikely, I see no unsolvable obstacles)
then belly connection is definitely going to work.

The reason snake should work is the fact that charging port position will also be
autonomously set - no driver error. Therefore snake can be simplified a lot.
And actually snake doesn't have to be snake. It can have just like 4-5 servos,
a few more than belly connection (3 servos)

#8 ·
I was imagining the snake could be stored in the upright position, inside a specially designed cupboard/cubby with an automatic sliding door. Similar to the original supercharger system that rotated out of the way for you to get the charging cable out. This way the weather stays out of the joints of the "snake" and more importantly out of the (now facing the skies) charging plug!

1. Car parks perfectly in place using AP2
  2. Car sends bluetooth signal to charging station
  3. sliding door opens on cupboard
  4. charge port opens on car
  5. snake lowers down into position and plugs into car.
System reversed at end of charge...

As seen in this video!

#15 ·
Second half of the video the boys from Now You Know talk about the charging system and underground charging for M3 (speculation of course)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.