Charging port beneath the car

BigBri

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If they intend to enable fully autonomous fleet sharing with the year of Model3 then I'd say yes. It's a very elegant solution to the self charging option. The snake would be very expensive I'd imagine and prone to malfunctioning. Seems much simpler to have the call roll into a space and stop at a specific point and connect everything. Could use the existing sensors and cameras to be precisely in the right spot and bluetooth too like was mentioned. If the car launches without it you'll probably have to manually charge it if you're using the Tesla network. I just can't see the snakes being cost effective and reliable longterm.

I think the snake will be the primary/preferred solution.
If they can't make it work (which is very unlikely, I see no unsolvable obstacles)
then belly connection is definitely going to work.

The reason snake should work is the fact that charging port position will also be
autonomously set - no driver error. Therefore snake can be simplified a lot.
And actually snake doesn't have to be snake. It can have just like 4-5 servos,
a few more than belly connection (3 servos)

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was imagining the snake could be stored in the upright position, inside a specially designed cupboard/cubby with an automatic sliding door. Similar to the original supercharger system that rotated out of the way for you to get the charging cable out. This way the weather stays out of the joints of the "snake" and more importantly out of the (now facing the skies) charging plug!

1. Car parks perfectly in place using AP2
  2. Car sends bluetooth signal to charging station
  3. sliding door opens on cupboard
  4. charge port opens on car
  5. snake lowers down into position and plugs into car.
System reversed at end of charge...

As seen in this video!

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I think the snake will be the primary/preferred solution.
If they can't make it work (which is very unlikely, I see no unsolvable obstacles)
then belly connection is definitely going to work.

The reason snake should work is the fact that charging port position will also be
autonomously set - no driver error. Therefore snake can be simplified a lot.
And actually snake doesn't have to be snake. It can have just like 4-5 servos,
a few more than belly connection (3 servos)
The snake has 3 servos.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My $140 robot vacuum can line up and charge itself. Tesla will have no problem figuring out a simple solution as well.
The autonomous car sharing fleet of the future demands it.

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Second half of the video the boys from Now You Know talk about the charging system and underground charging for M3 (speculation of course)

Does the "snake" have any side to side motion? it looks like it can only adjust on one axis...
We can clearly see movement in every direction.
You meant one plane, not one axis.
If it really works with 3 servos, then it has 3 cables pulled/pushed and every segment grabs/releases moving cables at appropriate moment. Every brake must have either address for digital control or analog wiring. More complicated than endoscope.

The snake has 3 servos.
3 servos and 3 brakes in every segment (around 51)?
Can you decrypt punctuation in the end of the sentences?
You had a period, or "full stop", which means you said a statement.
I had a question mark, which means I asked a question. From you BTW.

Now you ask my sources? Maybe you start with your sources, then I can quote you as my sourceo_O

If it really has 3 servos then there must be brakes. Source? School. I'm certified non-idiot.