Question Charging options in Ruidoso, NM

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

mcmoyer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My family has a place in Ruidoso, NM that we head to once a year or so. We take one of our larger vehicles so we can fit everyone. I got the wild hair to work remotely from Ruidoso for the next couple of weeks. That means my first trip that way in my Model 3. Getting there will be a bit of a challenge as the superchargers dry up after Midland, TX (I'm coming from DFW) and I'll need to rely on some third party chargers, including the McDonald's in Roswell, NM. I'm hoping to get 40 mph out of that one :fingers crossed:

Once I get up there, I'm curious if there are any good charging options available. I'm going to throw a 120v extension cord in the car just in case (worst case). I'm also going to check into getting a 240v extension after I get up there and measure exactly how far I need to go to get from the dryer outlet. Hoping it's 30ft or shorter because the cords seem to get a lot more expensive after that. I'm not sure how long it will take to get those cords shipped to me so I'm wondering if there are some good charging options in the area?

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would suggest that you check out Plugshare.com and Chargehub.com. Chargehub indicates that the Hotel Ruidoso has 2 Tesla destination chargers that are indicated as restricted, however several users on Plugshare indicate that they were allowed access as non-customers without issue. Plugshare also indicates that the Comfort Inn in Ruidoso has 2 destination chargers. Down in Alamogordo is Otero County Electric Co-op which offers a free level 2 charge with your J1772.

mcmoyer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for the suggestions. I had looked at Plugshare.com, but wasn't sure if that was still the policy regarding the 2 hotels. I'd hate to get there and be told they'd changed the policy.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm going to throw a 120v extension cord in the car just in case (worst case). I'm also going to check into getting a 240v extension after I get up there and measure exactly how far I need to go to get from the dryer outlet.
How much driving are you planning to do? Unless you plan to take road trips on back-to-back days, seems pretty unlikely you'll need anything more than 120V. I was managing OK with a 50 mile RT commute on 120V, and with WFH it's a piece of cake. If you go with the dryer connection, just make sure you know whether the outlet is the older 10-30 (3 prong) or newer 14-30 (4 prong) and that you have a matching UMC adapter and extension cord.

mcmoyer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
oh, good point. The part of the house with the dryer connection was built in the mid 80's so I'm betting it's the older style and I don't have that adapter.

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for the suggestions. I had looked at Plugshare.com, but wasn't sure if that was still the policy regarding the 2 hotels. I'd hate to get there and be told they'd changed the policy.
Give them a call. I have been refused only once in 45K road trip miles. Generally speaking, people are happy to give away that which costs them nothing. But always have a back-up plan.

Reactions: 1 person

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
as for adapters, trailer/RV supply stores have a wealth of adapters to fit 240v plugs.
Be careful relying on these. When used as a Tesla adapter, you may have to reduce your charging amperage for many of them to work. I have encountered some that would not work at all. I have instead chosen to rely only on the Tesla(or EVSE) adapters. The RV adapters are always there in case of a dire emergency(which hasn't happened yet).

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
keep your receipt :)
i wonder if that foolishness by the adapter is on packaging as fine print. and yes, the underline you see on the package *IS* the fine print