Charging less than 48 amps on WC

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

help_balance_thegrid_with_evdotenergy

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Lots of early Model 3s had Charge port issues, had mine replaced within a few months of delivery.

Lately, Middie's Power Converter is an issue (limited to 32A on a 48A Wall Connector). Middy charges just fine.

I have a service appt scheduled just to see the estimate to fix it. Out of warranty. Car still supercharges as I'm thinking the Power Converter is only needed for AC.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Lots of early Model 3s had Charge port issues, had mine replaced within a few months of delivery.

Lately, Middie's Power Converter is an issue (limited to 32A on a 48A Wall Connector). Middy charges just fine.

I have a service appt scheduled just to see the estimate to fix it. Out of warranty. Car still supercharges as I'm thinking the Power Converter is only needed for AC.
This seems to be a problem I'm hearing more and more of - the limitation of 32 amp charging. I know of more than one locally with the issue and one of them just last week came by my house to confirm the same limited charging on my WC.

The SC wouldn't even look at his car or allow his appointment until he proved it was not his own WC. He had someone else charge on his WC and got the full 48, that wasn't good enough, he had to go to one that was working and show that his car behaved the same on more than one WC. If they don't do this out of good will for you, I'd make sure to keep receipts as some day they might acknowledge an issue and reimburse. Long shot, but this one seems it could be a weak part not holding up.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This seems to be a problem I'm hearing more and more of - the limitation of 32 amp charging. I know of more than one locally with the issue and one of them just last week came by my house to confirm the same limited charging on my WC.

The SC wouldn't even look at his car or allow his appointment until he proved it was not his own WC. He had someone else charge on his WC and got the full 48, that wasn't good enough, he had to go to one that was working and show that his car behaved the same on more than one WC. If they don't do this out of good will for you, I'd make sure to keep receipts as some day they might acknowledge an issue and reimburse. Long shot, but this one seems it could be a weak part not holding up.
Good point! I'll find a 48A wall connector (destination charger) nearby and try it there!

Just because my Model Y charges fine doesn't mean there isn't something funky with my setup in the garage.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That's pretty unacceptable. They have WC at the SC they could quickly test with.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'll bet they have a Gen 1 UMC also. I'd go to a service center if I were you. If its not too far.
Yeah - car is in for service now. He stopped by Plano after confirmation from my WC. They gave him Uber credits, then after getting into the next day realized they had to order parts, so they got him in a loaner.

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have been getting a poor grid alerts a lot lately. It throttles it down to 32 Amps and then it seems to work fine. I actually have two wall V2 wall connectors in my garage and I’ve tried it on both, with the same results. It does not say what is wrong with the grid, or if I’m having sags or swells or what the deal is. I do think there’s a good chance it is software related.

0FD1E34B-0D7B-4881-B592-5ACF378C90D8.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: GDN

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It's likely the Power Converter, but you'll need Tesla to confirm that. I have an appointment scheduled.

Middie's out of warranty, but some have claimed to get this replaced until the battery warranty, although that's like saying you expect a free new drive shaft just because it's attached to the motor!

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There have been a few reports of issues and PCS failures from folks who charge at the full 48A.

I used to work with someone who worked on the design of it and they even said it barely worked and got super hot at 48A.

Perhaps Tesla has improved it by now, but if you can duplicate the problem at another 48A-capable wall connector (they are hard to find) then I would certainly report it to service.

The few times I had the opportunity to use a 48A connector, I turned it down a bit to 44A just to give it some headroom

• Informative
Reactions: littlD

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Good news! Tesla is replacing my PCS for free next Friday, covered by the HV Battery Warranty!

I guess my analogy changes to "anything that the battery pack needs to get the power ready for charging" is part of the warranty!
The voltage looks good at 241V but that ;s at reduced Amperage. What is the Volts before the charge starts and at full use (48A)?
The voltage does drop about 3 V as the charge starts. I’ve taken a couple snapshots along the way. It is odd that it ramps up to 32 A and stops there. It does seem a little pre-programmed instead of reactive. I could try shutting off every other load at my house. The wiring is relatively short runs with oversized cable.

B3FC64FB-755A-466C-BD07-538E1095CCC2.jpeg

6A2397FE-3FE6-4AF7-A2E4-94ABF3D63C03.jpeg

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Green Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Good news! Tesla is replacing my PCS for free next Friday, covered by the HV Battery Warranty!

I guess my analogy changes to "anything that the battery pack needs to get the power ready for charging" is part of the warranty!
I just tried it again today with the new software update and I get the same thing. I think it’s time for me to contact the service center. Thanks for laying the groundwork

Reactions: littlD

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.