Charging interrupted??

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

njkode

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My mother in laws model 3 had been getting charging interrupted more often while charging at home, on NEMA 14-50. I’d say it was happening occasionally but the last two nights it has happened each night.
This morning I unplugged the connector from the car then back in and with in a few minutes it was interrupted again.

would this be the car or the mobile connector ?
side note my father in law unplugs the mobile connector when they car isn’t plugged in. My gut is that is leading this this 🤷🏻‍♂️

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Pull the plug head off of the mobile connector and then push it back in again. That takes care of about half of the "charging interrupted" errors.

For the other half, turn off the breaker, pull the outlet out of the wall, and make sure all of the wires are fimly screwed down. Try plugging/unplugging the adapter and make sure the plug isn't too loose. If anything looks scorched, change the outlet for a new one, and trim any scorched, melted wires and re-strip.

• Helpful
  • Agree
Reactions: garsh and JWardell

njkode

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Our house is out of state, but at this point I may leave them our mobile connector and take there’s with my for test purposes.

@Jason F i did both of those and still had the issue. Going to have them make a service appointment just to get it checked out.

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Our house is out of state, but at this point I may leave them our mobile connector and take there’s with my for test purposes.

Does your mobile connector charge their car with no interruptions? If it does, then definitely make a mobile service appointment with your mother in law's app and get the mobile connector swapped. You're going to have some difficulty getting it swapped if you bring it home and make an appointment, as Tesla is aware of which mobile connector serial number was supplied with your car vs your mother in law's car. They probably won't refuse it, but the warranty coverage will get more complex.

njkode

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well I looked into this more last night, when the car says it’s charging the amperage was not stable and for the most part it was 0 Amps. I tried my mobile connector, same result. I tried both mobile connectors on my car and both worked to charge my car. Made a service appointment for Friday morning (for available). My in laws are going to call the service center this morning to see if they can get earlier.

njkode

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Just figured I'd updated this post, my mother-in-law did get to take her car in the next day. At the service center, they plugged it into a wall charger, still no charge. They then took it to a supercharger around back and it did charge some. My mother-in-law did not have too much time to wait so she left with the little juice they gave her. After she told me that I realized the issue is the onboard charger, but Telsa was still fighting here on it saying it must be her mobile charger. My in-laws never supercharged before so I explained how easy it was and just do that until tomorrow (Friday's appointment). So last night they filled up to 90% at a supercharger. Low and behold this morning Tesla calls and says the onboard charger (the person on the phone called it a converter 🤷‍♂️) is not in stock so they ordered one for the car. They had delayed the appointment for 2 weeks.

Now the fight to get Tesla to give some supercharging credits since they will need to supercharge for the next two weeks and it is about $20/charge here in CA depending on what your SOC is when you start charging.

• Informative
Reactions: garsh

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
good luck with that. I was out a couple of hundred for getting "their electrician" to inspect 40A 14-50 receptacle put in by "my electrician" when the problem was the mobile charger that came with the car. never got the money, i was so happy to be able to charge at 240v that I swallowed the cost.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.