Charging Interrupted During Heavy Rain

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Raiden was charging normally at work yesterday on a 3kW J1772 charging station for 9 hours. At the end of the day we got one of those spurious small cells of heavy rain that come about occasionally to remind you why you should have brought your umbrella inside. During the storm I received a notification that charging had been interrupted. It would not restart remotely and I didn't have time to go check it out.

I was able to leave work about 45 minutes later. The cable was still connected, but the red fault light was lit on the charge port. I'm pretty sure nothing displayed on the screen except that charging had been stopped, but I admit I didn't look at it for very long. The cable and adapter were successfully released from the car with no issue, but the red fault light remained in after they were removed. Car started and drove without issue and I never got a warning on the display of any kind that I'm aware of.

It's currently charging today with no problems. Any thoughts on what happened or how the rain could have caused a fault? I don't see any way there could have been water intrusion on the actual charging station, so I'm assuming the issue was close to or at the charge port.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Rain itself should not have been the issue, but maybe there was a power serge or other interruption on that circuit that the car recognized and disconnected charging.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed, if there was lightning nearby it could hav caused an overvoltage or something that the car didn't like.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
It's currently charging today with no problems. Any thoughts on what happened or how the rain could have caused a fault? I don't see any way there could have been water intrusion on the actual charging station, so I'm assuming the issue was close to or at the charge port.
I imagine the grid power was the likely culprit. Water on the transformer/power pole might have messed with the grounding or something.

eprosenx

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Raiden was charging normally at work yesterday on a 3kW J1772 charging station for 9 hours. At the end of the day we got one of those spurious small cells of heavy rain that come about occasionally to remind you why you should have brought your umbrella inside. During the storm I received a notification that charging had been interrupted. It would not restart remotely and I didn't have time to go check it out.

I was able to leave work about 45 minutes later. The cable was still connected, but the red fault light was lit on the charge port. I'm pretty sure nothing displayed on the screen except that charging had been stopped, but I admit I didn't look at it for very long. The cable and adapter were successfully released from the car with no issue, but the red fault light remained in after they were removed. Car started and drove without issue and I never got a warning on the display of any kind that I'm aware of.

I doubt the suggestions above are the culprit.

One of the KEY functions the EVSE (UMC or Wall Connector) is ground fault protection. Basically if any current "leaks" from either hot conductor to ground then the EVSE will shut off power to the car.

THIS IS A CRITICAL SAFETY FEATURE!

My guess is that some water got into the charge port and caused the fault. This would be working as designed. If after drying out everything works great I would not worry about it too much, however, I would hope that the charge port would be water proof enough to not have this issue just due to rain. I will be parking my M3 outside in Oregon and so I expect it to get wet OFTEN!

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I doubt the suggestions above are the culprit.

One of the KEY functions the EVSE (UMC or Wall Connector) is ground fault protection. Basically if any current "leaks" from either hot conductor to ground then the EVSE will shut off power to the car.

THIS IS A CRITICAL SAFETY FEATURE!

My guess is that some water got into the charge port and caused the fault. This would be working as designed. If after drying out everything works great I would not worry about it too much, however, I would hope that the charge port would be water proof enough to not have this issue just due to rain. I will be parking my M3 outside in Oregon and so I expect it to get wet OFTEN!
I agree, just trying to figure out how water would have gotten in. I’m wondering if there could be an issue with the charge port, or maybe I just didn’t seat the adapter all the way into the J1772 but had just enough of a connection to meet the initial charge permissives.

I’m not planning to get Tesla involved, but I’ll definitely be paying attention when it rains and keep looking for anyone else with a similar experience.

eprosenx

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree, just trying to figure out how water would have gotten in. I’m wondering if there could be an issue with the charge port, or maybe I just didn’t seat the adapter all the way into the J1772 but had just enough of a connection to meet the initial charge permissives.

I’m not planning to get Tesla involved, but I’ll definitely be paying attention when it rains and keep looking for anyone else with a similar experience.
It is also possible that water somehow got into the charger itself - the ground fault could be anywhere downstream of the GFCI circuitry in the charger. So may have nothing to do with your car! (but odds are, it is at the connector(s) into your car)